Sign in to follow this  
mattloveday1987

Looking to get some new speakers - any reccomendations?

Instead of searching for "computer speakers", try "studio monitor speakers". Gives you even more optioned to ponder about...😋 

1 hour ago, mattloveday1987 said:

Hi All

I probably spend 80% of my time flying with speakers - although i only have a basic setup using these guys https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Inspire-T10-Multimedia-Speakers-Black/dp/B000WQIKJ0

I wondered if anyone has gone full surround sound at all? I would appreciate any speaker recommendations 🙂

I have a full surround sound system on my primary flight sim--I found a Yamaha home theater receiver on the scratch-n-dent table at the local Best Buy, and added a couple pairs of Klipsch/Polk bookshelf speakers I wasn't really using. 

Honestly, surround sound for simming is overkill--the sound configurations of the major sims don't make much beneficial use of anything beyond stereo.  What does really add to the sound immersion is a decent subwoofer--I also found a Polk 12" powered subwoofer on the discount rack, and adding that made a really noticeable improvement by adding low rumble and growl that you can almost feel.

On my other two systems I use Logitech Z625 2.1 sound systems.  The Z625 has a reasonably good subwoofer, crisp 3" drivers with a separate tweeter, and it will take either an analog coaxial or optical/digital SPDIF input.  I require SPDIF here, as I also use radio transmitters in my man cave and the optical fiber link prevents RFI from getting into the audio lines when I'm on the radio.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I've been using the Bose desk top speakers for 10+ years. Been pleased with them. Great for flt sims , music and listening to podcasts etc. Off the computer I like high end headphones/IEMs - I have a couple Focal headphones and for IEM the Sennheiser IE900 which are great but for my simming the Bose desktops work well for me. I have thought about using the high end gear for sims but just never got around to it. If I get into VR* this year I may start using the IEMs. Your mileage may vary.

*I honestly don't know enough about the hardware to know what to buy.

Don't know if they are still available or not, but I've been using the Logitech Z-5500 sound system. Had if for around 10+ years or so.  Been very happy with it. 

I also just use my speakers for flight sim, along with my VR headset. Having a subwoofer does make a big difference. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

You don’t mention your budget but there are some good studio monitors that double as PC speakers.

Adam T5V These are my favorite albeit I went with the bigger model on sale for the same price.

You can read a review here.

The iLoud MTM is another good speaker. Review here.

And last but not least is the JBL 305P mkII. Review here.

Bose Companion 5!!! They will cost you about $500.00

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

Look for Logitech surround systems! The are awesome value - I am a trained audio engineer - and use an earlier version from 15 years ago for my sim pit and they are perfect for that.

Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:23 AM, rickjake said:

Don't know if they are still available or not, but I've been using the Logitech Z-5500 sound system. Had if for around 10+ years or so.  Been very happy with it. 

Hah I use those too...still going strong.  I have my original Z680 speakers that I've used in the past but now use them with my TV/blue ray player.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I got rid of my 5.1 speakers(very expensive when I bought tham) when I had to move house & didn't have a viable setup for them so I bought the Razer Nommo pro setup with the circular bass speaker - they sound fantastic - BTW I am a stero fanatic & for my main system I have a pair of JBL L300's - & have had them for over 50 years now - so as I said I have found the Nommos fantasic - especially when my goto touring airplane is the Corsair - just love the sound of the radial - the bass speaker really shakes everyting in the vicinity

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

I recommend a good headphone instead.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |