Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

Any way to reduce the screen blurriness with DLSS-DLAA?

Hey folks,

Since I upgraded my CPU, this has opened for me a new horizon with MSFS where I now I can get a crisp picture with very high fps while using ultra settings. Now I am discovering that TAA is very annoying with some flickering on the edges. So I tried DLSS-DLAA, this has so far the best result where I no longer see those flickering edges and everything is crisp, except, aircrafts with screens, there is some annoying blurriness and and the numbers if they change, they change in weird way. Is there any workaround? After trying DLSS, is hard to go back to TAA 😅

Edited by omarsmak30

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

DLSS is great, but the glass cockpit / display bluriness still is still not solved. 🤗

Maybe one or two generations of DLSS further...

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

Hey folks,

Since I upgraded my CPU, this has opened for me a new horizon with MSFS where I now I can get a crisp picture with very high fps while using ultra settings. Now I am discovering that TAA is very annoying with some flickering on the edges. So I tried DLSS-DLAA, this has so far the best result where I no longer see those flickering edges and everything is crisp, except, aircrafts with screens, there is some annoying blurriness and and the numbers if they change, they change in weird way. Is there any workaround? After trying DLSS, is hard to back to TAA 😅

Same here!  All I can say is the performance and lack of heat and noise benefits from my GPU mean I will never go back to TAA or some other system, although FSR2 looks really good (DX12 only), especially the lights, but I want to continue with DX11 for now.

There are a few things that can alleviate the problem.  One is experiment with the sharpness settings.  I have 130 on the in sim sharpening slider.  It is a balance between sharpening the screens, and making sure the outside views don't look over sharpened.
130 should do it, depending on your personal preference and screen resolution.  I am at 4k.  Lower resolutions might require a bit more.

The other thing is I use a Tobii head tracker, so leaning in just a bit brings up the screens much closer / sharper and makes it a none issue.  VR or TrackIR will give the same result.

Other than that,  I have found that after a while, you just get used to it and it becomes less of a problem.  Even though they are not so sharp, they are still easily readable. 
Even the 'fruit machine' type rolling tape isn't such a problem after a while - if it moves that fast in real life I doubt you could read it anyway if climbing or descending very fast. 

Ultimately, it seems Asobo need to solve this.  They have admitted it is not a driver issue, but that the flat panels might need masking off from the DLSS effect. 
It might be another thing for MSFS 2024, but they need to take it seriously and take a look at it, especially as they were the ones pushing / publicising DLSS so much and talking about the high frame rates that DLSS brings to the sim since they implemented it.

It is strange that everything else, including the analogue dials, aren't affected - they are perfectly sharp.  Which makes me think it is some kind of display system inside the sim that causes it.  Certainly Nvidia seem to suggest it is not their doing.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

38 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

DLSS is great, but the glass cockpit / display bluriness still is still not solved. 🤗

Maybe one or two generations of DLSS further...

It's the MSFS implementation. In all the other games that support DLSS there are no issues of text readability.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

2 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Hey folks,

Since I upgraded my CPU, this has opened for me a new horizon with MSFS where I now I can get a crisp picture with very high fps while using ultra settings. Now I am discovering that TAA is very annoying with some flickering on the edges. So I tried DLSS-DLAA, this has so far the best result where I no longer see those flickering edges and everything is crisp, except, aircrafts with screens, there is some annoying blurriness and and the numbers if they change, they change in weird way. Is there any workaround? After trying DLSS, is hard to go back to TAA 😅

DLSS-DLAA is my preferred setting unfortunately for the displays not a solution at this point. Only to update regular improvements for the DLL (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-3-frame-generation-dll/)

Edited by virtualstuff

André

Try ReShade with the Animorphic Sharpening and Contrast Adaptive Sharpening filters.

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

It's the MSFS implementation. In all the other games that support DLSS there are no issues of text readability.

Are there any flightsims in that list ?

Edited by Matchstick

It's a real shame the displays are so blurry. I fly in VR and DLSS offers much better performance than TAA which is critical for VR, but I'm stuck with TAA because the display blur is even worse in VR than on a screen.

It's horrible to look at. They need to sort this out.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Was mentioned in a Q&A dated September 2022...

Nvidia DLSS Blurriness - Timestamp:

Martial - I can see DLSS is blurry. So that’s also the next question. So this is also something we know, especially for the glass cockpits, because glass cockpits are a rendered texture and it’s not working perfectly with DLSS. So the ideal option would be to have a mask to remove this area of the screen from DLSS. So it’s a solution we’re talking with Nvidia [about], also, so it won’t be ready for Sim Update 10, that’s for sure. Hopefully, we could bring that for Sim Update 11. But it’s still R&D [research and development]. So it’s not like an option we just have to trigger. But we know that we’ve got some rendering quality issues, and we’re working with Nvidia for that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

5 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Hey folks,

Short answer, no. 

17 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Was mentioned in a Q&A dated September 2022...

Nvidia DLSS Blurriness - Timestamp:

Martial - I can see DLSS is blurry. So that’s also the next question. So this is also something we know, especially for the glass cockpits, because glass cockpits are a rendered texture and it’s not working perfectly with DLSS. So the ideal option would be to have a mask to remove this area of the screen from DLSS. So it’s a solution we’re talking with Nvidia [about], also, so it won’t be ready for Sim Update 10, that’s for sure. Hopefully, we could bring that for Sim Update 11. But it’s still R&D [research and development]. So it’s not like an option we just have to trigger. But we know that we’ve got some rendering quality issues, and we’re working with Nvidia for that.

So they were talking about a possible solution for SU11 and we've passed SU14 without any updates on this (that I know about) - so I'm guessing either the R&D hasn't gone very well or they are holding it over for FS2024

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matchstick said:

So they were talking about a possible solution for SU11 and we've passed SU14 without any updates on this (that I know about) - so I'm guessing either the R&D hasn't gone very well or they are holding it over for FS2024

My money is on the last thing you said, otherwise we would've heard about a fix by now. They could of course failed to get it to work properly and just not said anything!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

7 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Hey folks,

Everything should be crisp without flickering with TAA, try another driver, DLSS-DLAA is a compromise for better performance, TAA will give you the best image quality.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

8 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Hey folks,

This is my setup, DLDSR+DLSS Quality, absolutely crystal clear:

My complete settings:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ixoye said:

Everything should be crisp without flickering with TAA, try another driver, DLSS-DLAA is a compromise for better performance, TAA will give you the best image quality.

Actually they tested DLAA and TAA and the output quality with DLAA is actually better have to lookup that article...

In our world it's different regarding aircraft displays but the outside world is a win by DLAA lost the shimmering and flickering with TAA and razor sharp

Edited by virtualstuff
  • Like 1

André