Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

FPS will not exceed 40.0 - no matter what I do

1 hour ago, patrice_bambou said:

Windowed mode?

No, full screen

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

This is an easy one, very obvious when I read his monitor is at 120Hz.

SierraDelta already posted the solution.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I'm sorry my user cfg confused everyone - here are four screen shots in flight - A & B are the lowest possible settings,  D & E are high settings with LOD and TOD set at 200.   The screen shots show FPS as 38 or 39 but that is an artifact of SNIP - you can see in the RTSS graph that FPS stays at 40.

Where is the frame rate limiter?

I am just curious - I am perfectly happy with 40 FPS but am also a computer geek who wants to understand things.  As I said before - other apps running at the same time show frame rates of 60 to 120 so the limit would not seem to be in Windows, Drivers, Monitors

If my curiosity offends your FPS values - no need to answer.  This just a technology question.

Edited by TacomaSailor

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

This is an easy one, very obvious when I read his monitor is at 120Hz.

SierraDelta already posted the solution.

That does seem obvious and is probably an answer - but HOW is it happening?  I have Vsynch OFF everywhere I find it.  And, no other app is limited so it must be something in the sim.

Where else should I be looking for Vsynch?

Edited by TacomaSailor

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

One more image with sim settings as low as I can get them - still 40 FPS

spacer.png

As Søren mentioned, it looks like your usercfg.opt is set to 33% (a value of 1)...and I'll go a step further, in your MSFS user interface it's set to zero (0)  (!!)

I'd manually set my vsync in the usercfg.opt to 0 and save.  Restart sim and see how it behaves.    If it's still misbehaving I'd open the usercfg.opt file and see if it has reverted itself back to having a "1" value for vsync.  If it has, make sure you have local admin rights and also read/write permissions on the usercfg.opt file. 

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Mace - you are correct!

The user.cfg was set to 1 for vsynch despite the General Options showing Vsynch OFF just before I close the sim.  Every other option in user.cfg is saved as shown in General Options but NOT Vsync?

i checked user options for Win 11 and find I have full authority for the folder and file.

I set vsynch to 0 in user.cfg and started the sim.  I set all traffic to 0. General Options shows vsync OFF but the frame rate never exceeds 40 and the frame time is always between 24.8 and 25.1 (40 FPS) but the CPUs do not exceed 35% and the GPU 50%.

I closed the sim, checked user.cfg, verified vsync was 0, and restarted the sim.

Still cannot exceed 40 FPS no matter what.  Dev Mode shows 13.5ms frame time and GPU at 7.7ms and 40 FPS with all settings to the lowest possible values

Changing General Options to HIGH with Dev Mode shows 16.5ms frame time and GPU at 11.8 ms and 40 FPS with TOD at 300 and LOD at 200. 

Edited by TacomaSailor

18 hours ago, St Mawgan said:

What's wrong with 40? 

40 would be a dream for me, usually around 12-15

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

What happens if you lower the monitor refresh rate to something like 60Hz instead of the 120?

Also: You can set your sim settings still a way bit lower than your screenshot shows. Resolution, Terrain LOD, Object LOD and Anti-Aliasing can still go down a lot for testing purposes.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

12 hours ago, TacomaSailor said:

Still cannot exceed 40 FPS no matter what.  Dev Mode shows 13.5ms frame time and GPU at 7.7ms and 40 FPS with all settings to the lowest possible values

Changing General Options to HIGH with Dev Mode shows 16.5ms frame time and GPU at 11.8 ms and 40 FPS with TOD at 300 and LOD at 200. 

Is it the same problem in DX 11?

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Try once fullscreen instead of windowed...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Ok, not as easily solved as I thought. You say dev mode shows a frame time of 13.5ms but still an fps of 40. That doesn't even compute.

A frame time of 13.5ms should give you roughly 75 fps. Very interesting to see what the solution ends up being.

As I wrote, if you are in windowed mode and another window is active, the internal FPS counter just shows nonsense. Might even be that the desktop is somehow limited to 40Hz?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I am running in Full Screen and DX11 shows the same behavior as does DX12.

Other applications, e.g. Assetto Corsa or a 4k video benchmark, running simultaneous with the sim show 65 to 140 FPS using the same RTSS or nVidia counters.

Changing to 60 Hz does not change the 40 FPS limit (wherever it is).

running with all sim options set to low and TOD / LOD set as low as possible yields 40 FPS as does options at high TOD / LOD at 200.  The frame time and GPU ms show by Dev Mode do change as expected when changing the other sim options. 

Changing Vsync to 50% or 33% with 60 Hz refresh does result in max FPS changing to 30 or 20 as expected.  

Edited by TacomaSailor

Check that the graphics settings in windows is using the full refresh rate of your monitor... I always have change it to do so after I install a graphics driver... My monitors are 144hz, but after a driver install they get limited to 60 hz...

• Upvote 1

Faisal Niazi