Sign in to follow this  
sonny147

HDR10 ?

Is there any use for it anymore , what's the benefits / drawbacks ?

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

17 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

Is there any use for it anymore , what's the benefits / drawbacks ?

I find the question a little odd, why would there be no use for it - has something changed in MSFS to make HDR no longer useful?   A larger dynamic range in the lighting by definition increases reality.  Imagine being in a real aircraft and making the outside view fit into the SD range, the world would look pretty dull.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I think that may answer my question 🤔thank you

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

I got a 4K monitor made by Benq (EW3270U), I tried to activate the HDR through the monitor, Windows 11 and MSFS 20, but it was a no go for me because I got some good results just with MSFS20, but it was terrible with videos, photos and general use of the pc because the washed colors. So I decided to not use the HDR anymore.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Sometimes, when bored and with lots of time I connect my PC to my LG OLED 55 inch room TV, those with 120hz gaming mode and wow! the HDR is amazing! the rest of the time I use my normal 4k LG monitor with HDR off, even if capable, but OLED technology is from another world.

• Like 2

Alexander Colka

11 hours ago, Claudius_ said:

I got a 4K monitor made by Benq (EW3270U), I tried to activate the HDR through the monitor, Windows 11 and MSFS 20, but it was a no go for me because I got some good results just with MSFS20, but it was terrible with videos, photos and general use of the pc because the washed colors. So I decided to not use the HDR anymore.

Basically I enable it in Windows when using MSFS2020 or other HDR games  (if I remember)  and disable it when not gaming.   I also disable it when making videos of MSFS2020 .

It only takes a mouse click to enable/disable it in Windows.

• Upvote 1

I have just enabled it on my LG 48" Ultragear OLED Monitor, enabled it in Windows and then booted up the sim to see I can now enable it there.  I am using DirectX 12 due to using the Frame Gen mod on my 3080ti.  With HDR10 enabled I am getting a moire strobe effect going on in the water.  Currently flying around the Caribbean. Switching HDR10 off again removes the issue.  All settings on ultra or their maximum and running at 4K.

• Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

On 2/4/2024 at 9:33 AM, Claudius_ said:

That usually happens when a monitor isn't truly HDR. Anything under HDR 1000 is going to give bad results in general and even then you want local dimming at the bare minimum.

25 minutes ago, trainplane3 said:

That usually happens when a monitor isn't truly HDR. Anything under HDR 1000 is going to give bad results in general and even then you want local dimming at the bare minimum.

My monitor has a real HDR, it works well with FS20, but not for general applications. 

• Like 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

1 hour ago, Claudius_ said:

My monitor has a real HDR, it works well with FS20, but not for general applications. 

If that's your monitor in your post, then the spec of 300 max nit for HDR is not enough for true HDR. Most monitor companies advertise their stuff as HDR when it's only HDR 400. That's not true HDR, it's far too dim.

I have a good HDR monitor but prefer GFE Details filter to what HDR brings to MSFS.  I felt HDR was over the top, with not enough fine control.  I believe the GFE Detail filter is essentially perfect.  Other filters will allow you to dial up cockpit brightness w/ minimal impact on the external environment.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 2/4/2024 at 8:33 PM, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

It only takes a mouse click to enable/disable it in Windows.

A quick tip: Windows key + Alt + B (for brightness) will also toggle HDR on and off.

• Like 1

A tip. I use my Samsung Neo QLED QN90B for MSFS which has a peak brightness of around 2000 nits. I'm using Special K with Reshade Lilium shaders for HDR and it is wonderfull. Night and day difference with the HDR toggle in MSFS, which is deactivated in my case.

15 hours ago, trainplane3 said:

My monitor is HDR600 and gives brilliant results.  Certainly more realism than SD.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home