Sign in to follow this  
LouP

Reverb just stopped working at 90 Hz

So my revberb G2 has been working fine for years at 90 hz on a rtx 2080ti.  I recently upgraded to a rtx 4080 super and while the sim runs great now, the headset now only works when I select it to run at 60 hz.  Doesn't make any sense to me so I'm hoping that others may know of this and offer a suggestion for a fix.  Thanks, LouP

On 2/7/2024 at 5:26 PM, LouP said:

the headset now only works when I select it to run at 60 hz. 

which shouldn't be a problem because 90Hz doesn't mean MSFS will magically deliver 90 fps. you won't be getting 90 fps in VR anyway. I run the same HP G2 with a RTX 4090 and don't get more than 60 fps on average no matter 60 or 90 Hz setting, which is still absolutely smooth and great. I bet you wouldn't notice a difference between 60 or 90 Hz, there is no flicker even at "only" 60 Hz, which is just the refresh rate of the internal LCDs. 90 fps might be marginal smoother, but again we are talking Hz refresh of the LCD, not 90 fps coming from the game/GPU. the game might deliver only 40-60 fps even on a 90 Hz setting. 

otherwise from a reddit, lots of suggestions incl. changing the USB-C port. hopefuly you will find a solution here:

"Your headset failed to start at 90Hz. Make sure your headset's cables are plugged in correctly

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/lc322g/things_you_can_do_to_fix_blue_screen_steamvr/

"I run tried to run dcs world on a 5600x 6800 at 90 hz until the cable was damaged and would only run at 60 hz. I then discovered it ran much better at 60 and can finally enjoy the headset."

"it was fine last night and then I did the new optional Windows update. That added "Sleep Timeout" to the WMR and thats when the issue started this morning."

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Eh, I get 35 fps in my reverb g2 with 90hz and it feels very smooth. Tried to set it too 60 hz one time, omg what an awful experience, got headache after 1 minute, it was killing me. There is a big difference between 90 and 60hz no matter what fps you have… 

so no, dont agree that I wont feel any difference between 60 and 90, its a BIG difference…!!!

Edited by Kaboki

I am getting around 50 fps in VR with HP Reverb G2 with best quality and highest resolution settings.

spacer.png

I just switched from 90 to 60 and back to 90 Hz again.  both modes are very smooth @ 50 fps and I  could not tell the difference in MSFS, the LCD refresh rate is not the limiting factor when the pc delivers lower fps (50) than the refresh rate (60 or 90 Hz) of the VR LCD displays. I have no idea if your lower fps of 30 might make a difference though.

spacer.png

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

I've been living with it set to 60 and high quality.  Maybe I'm just adjusting but so far it has been working out ok for me.  Thanks everyone, LouP

Did you have to disconnect the G2's USB-C cable from your motherboard when you installed the 4080 Super?  If so, did you reconnect it to the same USB-C port?  Not all USB-C ports are driven the same.  In any event, glad that 60 htz works for you.  It literally made me sick when I've tried it with my G2.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

this not related at all

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg