Sign in to follow this  
outermarker

If you're suffering from micro-stutters & bad performance...

I have hardly any of the World Updates. Don't have any micro stutters. I don't think there is any link but I guess I will never know. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Well ... I'm not noticing any difference - but I'll try a few reboots/restarts and let my cache build up again before I decide if it works for me.

One thing though ... Raul said they tested for one month on XBox ... maybe it's XBox-specific?

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I installed MSFS for the first time in November last year, and installed all of the world updates (including the recently released WU15). I was very impressed with the performance, even in dense scenery areas. However, after a while I noticed that I was getting micro stutters quite frequently. These were most noticeable on final approach, but they were also evident through turns. I had no idea why this started happening, but I solved it by following the instructions in the video below. This was several weeks ago now, and performance has been solid as a rock since then (including plenty of short flights in Norway, Sweden and Denmark).

In short, I now have really impressive performance across the board......and this has remained the case since I installed WU16. I do not use AI planes at the moment (and I do not see me activating them any time soon, as I am enjoying the combination of smooth framerates, minimal stutters, and incredible graphics far too much to risk spoiling the experience), but if my PC from yesteryear can handle it (i5 7600k @ 4.5Ghz/32GB DDR4-3600 RAM/6GB Nvidia GTX 980Ti), then the vast majority of flight simmers should have no issues whatsoever.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

36 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Well ... I'm not noticing any difference - but I'll try a few reboots/restarts and let my cache build up again before I decide if it works for me.

One thing though ... Raul said they tested for one month on XBox ... maybe it's XBox-specific?

I'm on PC and my performance did improve significantly through this. What GPU are you using? I have a 2080TI which is holding up pretty well but it's certainly not state of the art anymore. DX11, no frame gen.

25 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Must be a YT-thing but I still see terrible stutters at the end of the video...? But well, anyway, MY solution to the stutter problem was getting an official G-Sync monitor. My PC is a rather middle of the road one from over 2 years ago and I never have the ugly microstutters I see in that video (and which I saw on my previous PC before I got that G-Sync monitor). G-Sync rocks. At least the official full hardware one. I only may see a stutter whenever traffic gets loaded (FSHud with FSLTL) and when turning during taxiing in certain instances but other than that the view outside of my cockpit is buttersmooth and a joy to behold. And that is with ALL WU's installed. In the past the world was a microstuttering mess whenever I looked to the left during approach (with TrackIR) but now the landscapes roll by as if it's real... No matter how dense the scenery is. totally awesome. (Microstutters really ARE totally immersion killing!)

Edited by tup61

I have not experienced that kind of stutters since I disabled the rolling cache in September 2020.

The rest of the video is snake oil.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I never expected the performance of MSFS to be so good on my mediocre PC. It has really come as quite a shock, and that includes really dense scenery areas like London and Amsterdam (with addon airport and scenery packages installed). The only issue that I have seen is that it takes a bit of time for all of the FlyTampa EHAM Amsterdam Schiphol scenery to appear after the scenario has been loaded. Nevertheless, once the scenery has been fully loaded, performance is just as impressive as anywhere else.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

my kind of snake oil is in my signature: just add hardware. surprise: it works. everytime.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

3 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

I have not experienced that kind of stutters since I disabled the rolling cache in September 2020.

The rest of the video is snake oil.

....and yet I noted an instant improvement. It is difficult for me to dismiss a connection.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just now, Christopher Low said:

....and yet I noted an instant improvement. It is difficult for me to dismiss a connection.

For the rolling cache yes, I meant the other stuff such as disk clean up, change the shader cache size, etc.

Also, if you change n parameters at once, how can you tell which one(s) did the trick? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

My stutters and mini freezes  have gone since  removing the Powerlines and Solar Farm mod.

Which was a pity as it did add to VFR flights.

Edited by Byronb
extra info
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

For the rolling cache yes, I meant the other stuff such as disk clean up, change the shader cache size, etc.

Also, if you change n parameters at once, how can you tell which one(s) did the trick? 

Yep. I personally stopped tweaking things after I installed MSFS. Or to be more precise: I did try a few tweaks on my previous PC but nothing helped and since I have my new PC (just over 2 years ago) with G-Sync monitor I have no need for tweaking anything.

BTW With 'tweaking' I mean doing things outside of the sim itself: changing sim setting using the available options within MSFS is logical and obvious but that's not tweaking. But editing core files, removing stuff in hidden folders and whatever... no, thank you. As stated above: get the right hardware and be done with it. 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Byronb said:

My stutters and mini freezes  have gone since  removing the Powerlines and Solar Farm mod

That actually is a good tip. Not that you have to delete that specific mod (which I never used) but that you should be careful with the mods (and similar stuff) you install. I personaly do not use ANY scenery mods at all. The default scenery that MSFS offers (with all WU updates installed) is MORE than good enough for me. I installed freeware airports twice and the sim CTD'ed twice so... bye bye scenery mods. People who have performance problems should check their community folder.

Afaik (can't check it right now) I only have Navigraph, FSLTL and a pushback tool in my community folder. I do use FSLTL (via FSHud) even though it (like any traffic) may give me a stutter every now and then (like when you get near an airport and traffic is being loaded) but that's a price I am willing to pay. Some specific performance 'problems' are to be expected. But a lot of people use too many mods and addons without thinking about it and then start complaining about performance... Well, surprise, surprise...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Byronb said:

My stutters and mini freezes  have gone since  removing the Powerlines and Solar Farm mod

This also... Once I tried ILOVEVFR but it caused stuttering when panning and didn't add much to the experience.

All of you that have stutters at landings and at low altitude try the Adaptive Lod program, btw I have used ILOVEVFR since it was released and have never noted any stutters with that either.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |