Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

WMR headsets no longer work with Windows 11 v.24H2

8 hours ago, tamsini said:

What are the chances a new VR headset will released that is comparable to HP (and with hopefully better lenses) this fall that won't cost over 1000.00?

Quest 3?

• Upvote 2

we can still use our  G2 for a few more years, until then it will be time to upgrade to a newer headset with smaller formfactor and better lenses anyway. if not WMR then something else will drive them. as long as MSFS 2024 has VR support built into it and it does according to Jens Neumann I am ok. I think I saw some slight frustration in his face in their last developer twitch session when he was asked about MS dropping WMR support in future Winows. not surprising if you know where he came from originally and his VR background.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

2 hours ago, Steku said:

This will allow you to continue using G2 (discontinued by HP, originally released in November 2020, soon will be 4 years old) as long as you would not need new fancy Windows 11 features.

ok then, time to reserve 1 pc for  MSFS 2024 exclusively with no plan to upgrade to that newer windows. enough time for an image backup of the windows partition that still has WMR built into it. no problem. 

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

I'm just not gonna update windows 11 from when this next big update releases, not ideal but I'm not gonna be forced into buying a new HMD should my G2 still be functioning just fine.

Pico Neo3 Link VR - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Joerg Neumann: "Microsoft's change to mixed reality and how it affects us? I don't think it affects us. Nope. Don't worry about it!"

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

5 hours ago, Steku said:

Quest 3?

I had a Quest 2 before getting the G2. I'm hearing fairly good things about it but man - I cannot stand that facebook has to be part of the deal.

Mario Di Lauro

46 minutes ago, tamsini said:

I cannot stand that facebook has to be part of the deal.

In my daily use of my Quest 3 I have yet to see a Facebook logo or the word "Facebook" mentioned anywhere in the parts of the UI I use every day. Insofar as Facebook is somehow "part of the deal" I don't see them anywhere.

In case they gather information about how I use my Quest 3, like Google does with my GMail and such, I really don't care.

3 hours ago, JacquesBrel said:

In case they gather information about how I use my Quest 3, like Google does with my GMail and such, I really don't care.

Google doesn't just gather usage data. They literally read your emails.

Any chance HP will release a firmware up date to remove the WMR dependency?

Matt Webb

13 minutes ago, Matt Webb said:

who knows? but I doubt it. why would they support a product they are not selling anymore? more likely there will be new headsets that don't require WMR. but you can still use the HP G2 until at least late 2026 if you make sure not to update to 24H2.

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

So... im thinking now to upgrade to the PIMAX... I like my G2 as it doesn't require base stations etc... also i don't use the headset speakers as comes from the TV i use as a monitor... does the PIMAX have a similar setup for those that have it?

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | Tobii Eye Tracker | Pimax Crystal Light (soon!)

Doug 

6 hours ago, tamsini said:

I had a Quest 2 before getting the G2. I'm hearing fairly good things about it but man - I cannot stand that facebook has to be part of the deal.

Facebook thing is not an issue using Q3. I have both G2 and Q3 and for the MSFS, G2 is still superior to Q3 in terms of image clarity and sharpness. It's a pity that Q3 is streaming only. I would venture that it could easily be as good as G2 if we can directly plug Q3 into video card. What an atrocity.  

• Upvote 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I will wait this out as long as the G2 is still working, at least until late 2026. in 2 more years we will see new VR products.

very nice.

18 hours ago, Matt Webb said:

Zero

17 hours ago, vonduck said:

So... im thinking now to upgrade to the PIMAX... I like my G2 as it doesn't require base stations etc... also i don't use the headset speakers as comes from the TV i use as a monitor... does the PIMAX have a similar setup for those that have it?

Pimax Crystal doesn't require base stations and can be bought with optional Dmas speakers which are very similar to G2 speakers.

It has far better clarity, sweet spot, FoV, lenses, colors, blacks. But it is expensive and to show full potential requires expensive GPU (I migrated from G2 on 3070Ti, to Crystal on 4090 and it was great, albeit expensive, move).

Edited by Steku