Sign in to follow this  
jwhak

FlightAware Live Surface Movement Beta

Anyone checked out the Live Surface Movement Beta on FlightAware?    Wonder if that data could be used for planes taxing in MSFS?  I am an average computer user so I figured I would bring it up here and see what some of the Einstein's in the computer world would think of this.

Happy Landings

52 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Anyone checked out the Live Surface Movement Beta on FlightAware?    Wonder if that data could be used for planes taxing in MSFS?  I am an average computer user so I figured I would bring it up here and see what some of the Einstein's in the computer world would think of this.

Happy Landings

I don't believe RealTraffic uses FlightAware data, but check out PSXT and RealTraffic. 

Paging @kiek

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

5 hours ago, jwhak said:

Happy Landings

Link?

it seems the beta feature is available after you select an airport to track.

Edited by Sticky

Wow, just checked it out. Very nice addition to FlightAware.

• Like 1

SJED

Is it though? Seems like all they have done is carved away anything on the ground into a separate interface that they will no doubt package and sell separately. 

Compare to what you see on FR24 and I think there is little difference. 

Edited by redshift27

Looks like FR24 but with less. Comparing my local airport and FR24 shows more aircraft as well as ground vehicles. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Yeah I am not partial to either flight tracker.  Just wasn't sure the MSFS community could do anything with that data.

11 hours ago, redshift27 said:

Link?

https://www.flightaware.com/

17 hours ago, redshift27 said:

Link?

Actually, look at a specific airport (in US, with suspected traffic active at this moment) and there's a banner "All New: Live Surface Movement BETA" and a button TRY NOW
For example, San Francisco Int'l Airport : https://www.flightaware.com/live/airport/KSFO/surface

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio/uploads

6 hours ago, jwhak said:

Just wasn't sure the MSFS community could do anything with that data.

Best hope is that Microsoft/Asobo, with the next version MSFS2024, had access to this feature and process it. During the last Dev Q/A they mentionned, new processes with FlightAware to enhance (fix?) the Live Traffic missing departure/destination data. Let's imagine something feasible with this ground feature.

• Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio/uploads

I receive the Flightaware newsletter and this was in the last one which said, in part: 

Do you have connections to an FBO? Let us know!

An FBO, or fixed-based operator, is a commercial operation that provides aviation services to airports and hangars. We have many FlightFeeders installed at FBOs throughout the world. They make for excellent locations for FlightFeeder installations as they are generally next to airports.....FlightFeeders directly on airports can improve coverage...."

This was accompanied by a a couple of before/after images of a US airport which teased an impressive increase in ground traffic movements. 

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Like 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

That would be nice to have if you like to shadow a real flight which I just did last Monday when daughter and hub flew from KRNO to KDEN.  I used Real Time Online traffic for this (which is fine at non busy terminals performance-wise) and fortunately saw them taxiing for TO in-sim:

KRNO-NATAMARK.pngKRNO-NATAMARK-2.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X