Sign in to follow this  
mrlip

Considering switching to VR

Good point, I didn’t think of that. I’ve removed the fps limit in OXRTK and reduced the FOV to 95%

Did my first flight earlier using the settings I mentioned in my last post, it was a great experience just getting a feel for VR. Found the landing quite challenging compared to 2D! 

Been doing some more experimenting since then and found the HEVC 10bit codec at 150 to be quite significantly better in terms of latency and didn’t notice much visual difference compared to AV1 so think I will use that for my next flight. 

just trying to find the right balance between smoothness and clarity. TAA at 100 or 110% has nice clear visuals but with a bit of additional latency making it not quite as smooth. DLSS quality setting is perfectly smooth 80fps but the gauge quality is really poor. Any suggestions?

Gauges can be a real issue for DLSS as they are constantly changing. THat's partly why I stick with TAA but with a high enough resolution, you should be able to get something clear enough using DLSS.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I will try with DLSS quality again and crank up the resolution in OXRTK on my next test. 

I’ve also always wanted to give VR a try and have been eyeballing it a lot recently. I can understand why it would be a huge immersive experience! But my biggest turn off is the amount of software required, the time spent tweaking, and the loss in visuals it takes to get it running “ok”. Seems like a big pill to swallow to spend $500 to have to then go through all the things I mentioned and end up with lower quality image. But again, I do understand it’s a compromise to get the immersive experience. Just not sure if it’s for me..

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Posted (edited)

A lot of the tweaking is completely voluntary from a community known for finding it hard to leave well enough alone......

I get what I think are pretty acceptable results, with the only real tweaking being the installation of virtual desktop, and not even having to "dial-in" the sim very far from the basic settings; but the fact is, a lot of simmers just..... naturally like to tinker.

Virtual desktop would likely not be the useful and much recommended pay-ware it's become, if it was not already doing 95% of any heavy tweak lifting via quick and easy/intuitive settings.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yeah I’ve only had my headset 2 days and I already feel like I’m close to being fully dialled in without much further work.

Speaking of which, I’ve tried some more testing with DLSS quality and even cranking up the resolution in OXRTK doesn’t get the gauges as crisp as I would like. And by the time it’s cranked high enough, the benefits of using DLSS are gone as the FPS has dropped and latency increased and may as well use DLSS with DLAA.

I think TAA with between 90-100 render resolution is going to be the sweet spot. Possibly 90 but increase the CAS sharpening slightly in OXRTK. Will finish off the testing tomorrow

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mrlip said:

just trying to find the right balance between smoothness and clarity. TAA at 100 or 110% has nice clear visuals but with a bit of additional latency making it not quite as smooth. DLSS quality setting is perfectly smooth 80fps but the gauge quality is really poor. Any suggestions?

in case you won’t find find the right balance (but you will. it’s early days ) there’s always the right-mouse click hold for a quick zoom to read the smaller print. 

Edited by avhpilot
  • Like 1

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I haven't seen this before in any of the threads on VR and its a simple question: Does VR headset give the same experience as sitting in the cockpit, i.e.: If I look to the right or left in VR am I now looking out the right or left of the cockpit? I JUST got P3Dv6 and I'm always losing the airport right after takeoff and spend 20 minutes circling around looking for it on my 15" monitor.

What VR headset works best with P3Dv6?

1 hour ago, The Real McCoy said:

Does VR headset give the same experience as sitting in the cockpit, i.e.: If I look to the right or left in VR am I now looking out the right or left of the cockpit? 

In VR it’s like in real life. You turn your head, bend over, look up - the image in the VR headset shows what you would see in real life when you turn your head.

Garber Sergey

1 hour ago, The Real McCoy said:

Does VR headset give the same experience as sitting in the cockpit, i.e.: If I look to the right or left in VR am I now looking out the right or left of the cockpit?

Yes

think of VR as sitting in the real aircraft

What you see around you in VR is what you would see if you were sitting in the real aircraft but wearing swimming goggles..... and you cannot touch anything of course:)

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

7 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

I haven't seen this before in any of the threads on VR and its a simple question: Does VR headset give the same experience as sitting in the cockpit, i.e.: If I look to the right or left in VR am I now looking out the right or left of the cockpit?

As other replied already, yes having VR is like being in the cockpit. Think of it like a Track-IR, excepted the screen stays always right on your nose. So even if you turn your head to the left, the screen is still there right in front of your eyes, showing left. The view in sim moves according to your head movements in 6 DOF, so all rotations and all translations. If you want to watch behind you, you'll actually have to turn your head around to watch behind you. It's 1:1 movement real-life to sim.

Also, since your left eye gets a different picture than your right eye, your brain will actually perceive real 3D. That is also one of the main advantages of VR.

16 minutes ago, Daube said:

As other replied already, yes having VR is like being in the cockpit. Think of it like a Track-IR, excepted the screen stays always right on your nose. So even if you turn your head to the left, the screen is still there right in front of your eyes, showing left. The view in sim moves according to your head movements in 6 DOF, so all rotations and all translations. If you want to watch behind you, you'll actually have to turn your head around to watch behind you. It's 1:1 movement real-life to sim.

Also, since your left eye gets a different picture than your right eye, your brain will actually perceive real 3D. That is also one of the main advantages of VR.

you missed  one  main point  some users  experience motion  sickness   for  the  first few  flights  till  you get  used  to it,  especially  if  you use  dcs  🙂

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Ah yes, you are totally right 🙂

I was just too focused of the "view" part of the question. That being said, being a bit motion sick is also part of being in a plane 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daube said:

This is the part I wasn't prepared for the very first time I tried VR. It was in the Caribou with the Pico 4 and all the various parts of the cockpit like the yoke and throttle levers sticking out in true 3D. It was an incredible 'Wow' moment.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

First time I tried VR, I reached out to get hold of the throttle levers - scrapped my knuckles on the side of the desk, it seemed so real!😂

• Like 1