Sign in to follow this  
JJ_

Which is your favorite Aircraft in VR?

8 hours ago, Flyfox said:

My absolute favorite is SWS‘s Pilatus PC-12, equipped with the TDS GTN750xi.

ohh, that's 2 votes for this one with the TDS as an added bonus, thanks!

6 hours ago, tull said:

The children got a VR Meta Quest 3 headset for Christmas so I borrowed it for an hour to try VR out........well bloodyhell.......it blew me away and I havent flown on using a monotor since....what a load of rubbish it is flying using a monitor....its rubbish. ... I keep taking the headset off the children and I cant keep doing that now can I so I bought another one...ya can stick the monitor up ya Jacksy! 😀

The planes what float my boat in VR are both Airbuses, PMDG 737 and TBM850......absoluteley incredible and very very immersive indeed....LOVE IT!👍

Love this story, LOL! When I decided to get VR it was mainly to exercise at home, but when I tried it on MSFS, I went to all my VR friends and complained why no one told me how awesome an experience it is, what a HUGE difference it makes for situational awareness, helicopter flying, much better approaches, landing and pattern flying, instrument panel awareness, as well as the sense of vertigo you get in real life, OMG its a game changer!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I have the Quest 3 (Mixed/Augmented Reality capability).  Does anyone know if there is an aircraft written to take advantage of the hand / finger capability - for turning knobs and flipping switches?  I'm told there is, I the person couldn't remember which ones.

Wow! Do let us know if you find out!

1 hour ago, JJ_ said:

Wow! Do let us know if you find out!

Absolutely!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

My favorite is A2A commanche because of their VR turbulence moddeling, all other planes just make me nausious..

• Like 1

I'm a fan of most GA aircraft in VR. Caribou and the Wilga are great in VR but I'm a big advocate of Carenado aircraft in VR. The excellent modelling and texturing along with great performance make these ideal in VR for me.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

21 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I have the Quest 3 (Mixed/Augmented Reality capability).  Does anyone know if there is an aircraft written to take advantage of the hand / finger capability - for turning knobs and flipping switches?  I'm told there is, I the person couldn't remember which ones.

The most recent Virtual Desktop Beta added the option to emulate Index Controllers on Quest, essentially your hand tracking on the Q3 are emulated as index controllers so with OpenVR you can get hand tracking within SteamVR, so if you have VD try giving that a go. I haven't got a Q3 yet but I keep up to date on the news and this recent beta seems to be a game changer

16 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

The most recent Virtual Desktop Beta added the option to emulate Index Controllers on Quest, essentially your hand tracking on the Q3 are emulated as index controllers so with OpenVR you can get hand tracking within SteamVR, so if you have VD try giving that a go. I haven't got a Q3 yet but I keep up to date on the news and this recent beta seems to be a game changer

That's great to know. I've just now starting looking at Virtual Desktop, and see a non-Steam version was just released.  I downloaded it, but I'm still learning how to install and run it (It's not a straight forward "click and install".

Thanks again for the info!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

20 hours ago, JJ_ said:

Oh man, this a great list, thanks for this feedback!!!

I figured this is what you needed.🍺

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, Donka said:

I'm a fan of most GA aircraft in VR. Caribou and the Wilga are great in VR but I'm a big advocate of Carenado aircraft in VR. The excellent modelling and texturing along with great performance make these ideal in VR for me.

Same here! Carenado. Beauty over systems. Which is what VR is all about. I would say the best reply to the original post is one word: Carenado!

My favorite for G.A. their 182RG

spacer.png

For old school, their Cessna 170b (post art deco style) cockpit:

spacer.png

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Those a great shots. I took shots in the Leonardo Maddog and even tried creating some video, but unfortunately they call come out in (of course) 2D so it will never do a good job of showing off what we really see and experience.

All I can say is that i knew what to expect... and the Quest 3 STILL blew my hair back... and I'm bald!  (not really, but you get the point).

I'm working on a special project for VR in shared cockpit, and THAT I believe will be the next great thing!

Dave Hodges

On 3/2/2024 at 8:32 PM, Fielder said:

Same here! Carenado. Beauty over systems. Which is what VR is all about. I would say the best reply to the original post is one word: Carenado!

Careful now. This might get the wrong message to those not converted to VR yet, thinking it's better to use less complex (read 'Carenado') add-ons in VR only. This is not the case. The PMDG737 is just as great as a C152 in VR. Everything works as expected.

So, ANY plane, also complicated systems-wise is great in VR!

Just do a walk-around and take a look up at the landing gear bay of the recently updated Fenix A320 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

3 hours ago, avhpilot said:

So, ANY plane, also complicated systems-wise is great in VR!

Yes, I’d say that VR actually makes it much easier to fly complex airliners as you move your head to look up at the overhead panel, down to the FMC, to the side for the centre console etc, and can instantly glance back at the primary instruments. It’s much more natural than having to pan around the flightdeck using a mouse in 2D and losing awareness of what the aircraft is doing.

• Upvote 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

3 hours ago, jon b said:

It’s much more natural than having to pan around the flightdeck using a mouse in 2D and losing awareness of what the aircraft is doing.

It is easier to look around in VR. It is not easier to do around in VR. Tuning knobs on complicated glass screens for instance. Some people use knobster. Others try to use the VR controllers. Some try to use artificial hands. I use a trackball mounted on my knee. I don't need any of that stuff in 2D. In VR I need at least one of that stuff. But not in VR with simpler planes. Because in simpler planes there is nothing to "move" on the panel that can't be done with a good HOTAS full of hats and buttons and logitech panels and some trim panels. All of which can be adjusted with touch, you don't have to see these controllers to use them.

For complex planes in VR I would need more hardware: A G1000 for instance that I can use by 'feel' while watching the panel in the VR display. A knobster could do some of that.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.