Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

How to wreck performance in MSFS with a decent rig

3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Don’t worry, I’m not too serious about this. Just experimenting.

Btw I’d appreciate it if we could avoid the derogatory name calling. Cheers 😉

That wasn't meant to be derogatory, but what do you want with such data if you don't need it is totally exaggerated anyway, that's what I wanted to get across.
But if you like playing around - OK 😊

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, pmplayer said:

That wasn't meant to be derogatory, but what do you want with such data if you don't need it is totally exaggerated anyway, that's what I wanted to get across.
But if you like playing around - OK 😊

cheers 😉

Ok, no worries, I guess I can be a bit sensitive. We're good! I don't tend to hold a grudge either 🙂

The point of this whole thread is to experiment. I tend to like doing that. I've always had an inquisitive mind. It's not for everyone, I can appreciate that. But I find it somewhat rewarding to investigate what the sim capable of, in terms of visual settings and performance. 

I 100% agree with you. No-one in their right mind needs a TLOD of 1800 🙂 Nor do they need FPS 180. The human eye can only perceive up to FPS 30 anyway. But if they want to, with the right settings and hardware - it is possible. 

I find that TLOD 600 gives much improved terrain visibility vs. default max of 400. Higher than that - I'm not so sure yet. Still experimenting 🙂 All in the name of science!

11 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Where is the limit that you no longer see any difference with increasing T-LOD?

See my above comments above.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)

This is TLOD about 1000 at 10,000ft AGL and FPS 60-70. I'm curious what fellow simmers think about this. I'd like your honest opinions. 

FltSzLJ.jpeg

VEKg7Rf.jpeg

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

The point of this whole thread is to experiment. I tend to like doing that.

that's what test pilots do: explore the limits of a new technology, outside its normal operating envelope. like intentional spins in a jet.

dear children, don't try this at home. 

Edited by turbomax
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Behind every great discovery, there is, most likely, many failed experiments. Never stop.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks a lot turbo and rjquick! And I'm very happy this thread has gotten some interest. Although half of it is probably Star Wars cross-talk 🤪

I'll report back if/when I make another outrageous discovery! 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Although half of it is probably Star Wars cross-talk 🤪

But....that's no moon....that's a Fenix B2. Old man, I think you're right....Chewie, lock in the reverse thrust, prepare to auto-land 😁

Sorry, couldn't resist....

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

19 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'd like your honest opinions.

My honest opinion is that this plane is so weird it looks like it has a moustache.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

19 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

My honest opinion is that this plane is so weird it looks like it has a moustache.

Haha 😅 It is weird for sure!

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2024 at 8:48 PM, Cpt_Piett said:
On 3/10/2024 at 8:44 PM, turbomax said:

will be interesting to see how and what Asobo will implement of those intelligent dynamic optimization techniques in MSFS 2024 now that the community has come up with some clever suggestions..

Cpt_Piett said: I'm afraid they won't touch these freeware apps with a 10 foot pole. They might however secretly implement some dynamic optimization techniques using the developer of AutoFPS's open source code and take credit for this without mentioning who the real genius is 😉

from today's official MSFS twitch session:

Sebastian Wloch re. Dynamic LOD:

"it's not very complex, it's exactly how it works on the Xbox. it's already working very well, we never thought about doing it on the pc. it's not very complex, only adding the option, adding a button, I think it's a very good idea, we never had it on our plans. I agree with the community it works very well. so I think we will put it on our backlog."

spacer.png

and MSFS 2024 will release shortly after September. I expect October 2024

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, turbomax said:

from today's official MSFS twitch session:

I haven't had a chance to see the stream yet, but we briefly discussed it in the AutoFPS thread. To be honest I'm somewhat surprised that "they" (or at least Seb) suddenly seem to take this stand, that not only is it possible (hey - we can just flick that switch! why didn't we think of that before) but that they might also be willing to implement such a thing in 2024. I wonder where they got that idea from, hmmmmmmm 🤔

Perhaps in the very near future they'll allow forum users to post about the various freeware apps that dynamically adjust LODs? No, I'm being silly here, that would be preposterous. As surely these "memory hacks" which "alters core sim files" would infringe on their infringements, and would most certainly also be in violation of FAA regulations. 

Message to yours truly 13 days ago: 

This mod alters core sim files, and that is against the terms of service for the sim.
As such, it cannot be discussed in these forums at all!

We have removed your posts in order to comply.

Good Flights!

Interestingly though, this appeared on their forum today (well it might have been taken down now for all I know): 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/expose-tlod-olod-clouds-etc-via-simconnect-l-vars/634075

Expose TLOD/OLOD/Clouds/etc via Simconnect L:vars

Since it was openly spoken about during today’s dev Twitch stream, I think it’s worth exploring further public discussion about these things. At least Jorg and Seb seemed very open to the idea. But curiously, one of them mentioned that they had never thought of this on PC before. I remember reading about this in forum posts a long time ago (maybe even 2-3 years ago) and nothing was ever done about it. Now that the idea is out in the open again, let’s discuss instead of hiding in the shadows or having a pre-baked solution imposed on us.

I voted, hopefully more dynamicLOD enthusiasts will too!

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

(based on Seb's facial expression, he's very focused and serious about this, whilst Jörg is in his habitually eternally blissful resting state, probably blissfully unaware of the topic being discussed - not really sure about Martial though as I find it hard to read his facial expression)

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I wonder where they got that idea from, hmmmmmmm 🤔

don't be so harsh. to their defense, according to Seb they had this implemented a long time ago in the Xbox version, so indeed nothing new for them. surprisingly it didn't occur to them this might be useful for the more powerful PC version as well. but Martial he deserves the bastonade. wasn't even remotely aware that DLSS for cockpit glass instruments still wasn't as crisp as they had promised earlier, despite their direct talks with Nvidia re. this.

very nice.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, turbomax said:

don't be so harsh

As always I'm not being 100% serious 🙂 I'm just a bit sour with regards to their forum attitude re: discussing these types of apps. And I've been in a cheeky mood all day 🙂

If they'd require true dynamic LOD enthusiasts to form a line outside Asobo's office in.... Bordaux? I'd be one of the first in that line. To be honest I think it's very promising reading Seb's thoughts on this. 

Whooops, 5nm to TOD, gotta go!!

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1