Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

6700k 1080 16GB RAM + Fenix/PMDG - a world of pain?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Currently running specs as per topic (4K with 75-80% resolution scaling).

Should I expect to be able to run either Fenix/PMDG @ 30 FPS with Vsync like I do in P3Dv5 (FSlabs/PMDG) do you think?  Or am I out of luck with my old hardware?

Cheers,
Rudy

Edited by VHOJT

4k with a 1080?... ambitious hehe

I think that would be a but rough.  But doable with lowered settings like TLOD no more than 100.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

4k with a 1080?... ambitious hehe

I think that would be a but rough.  But doable with lowered settings like TLOD no more than 100.

Indeed!  I mange somehow in P3D.  Was doing it with a 980ti before with 6GB VRAM before p3D v5 haha.

Edited by VHOJT

You'll never get 4k running smoothly with a 1080 and 6700k in MSFS.   Generally speaking, MSFS has pretty good performance. But you need a beefy system to run it in 4k as it's very highly detailed, some aircraft textures are 8k, etc.

Before I recently upgraded to a 3080Ti, I also had a 1080.  MSFS ran fantastically at 1080p.  But would not have dared run it on 4k.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

8 hours ago, JYW said:

You'll never get 4k running smoothly with a 1080 and 6700k in MSFS.   

People forget that those sliders and settings actually have a function and an effect, there are settings other than high or ultra. Pretty sure you can get reasonable FPS when putting everything on low and TLOD down to 50 using this hardware. Whether or not this then still looks acceptable or not is a whole different story though...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Posted (edited)

Without AI planes active, I can run TLOD/OLOD @ 250/200 on my i5 7600k @ 4.5Ghz/32GB DDR4-3600 RAM/6GB GTX 980Ti powered PC @ 1080p resolution, even in super dense scenery areas like London (with IniBuilds EGLL London Heathrow + Burning Blue Design EGLF Farnborough + UK2000 EGLC London City + ORBx London Landmarks) and Amsterdam (with FlyTampa EHAM Amsterdam Schiphol + PrealSoft Amsterdam Landmarks). This is with the PMDG 737-600, all settings at HIGH, 1.5x DSR, 16x AF, TAA, PG disabled, Shadow Maps @ 2048, and the Scattered Clouds weather option.

In short, the MSFS game engine has some serious grunt. How that translates to 4K resolution is the real issue.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No idea what the difference between them is, but I do a contented 45 fps ish in 4K with a 1080ti when I fire up my ancient desktop. Settings aren't radically low. 

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Without AI planes active, I can run TLOD/OLOD @ 250/200 on my i5 7600k @ 4.5Ghz/32GB DDR4-3600 RAM/6GB GTX 980Ti powered PC @ 1080p resolution, even in super dense scenery areas like London (with IniBuilds EGLL London Heathrow + Burning Blue Design EGLF Farnborough + UK2000 EGLC London City + ORBx London Landmarks) and Amsterdam (with FlyTampa EHAM Amsterdam Schiphol + PrealSoft Amsterdam Landmarks). This is with the PMDG 737-600, all settings at HIGH, 1.5x DSR, 16x AF, TAA, PG disabled, Shadow Maps @ 2048, and the Scattered Clouds weather option.

I do not believe
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I run a 7700K / GTX1080 / 32GB / 1080p monitor with mostly medium setting. This gives me in the Fenix at a standard airport and no traffic 40/45 fps. Goes down to 30 fps at some payware airports, but still very enjoyably. I am using the DynamicLOD mod, which really helps !

Edited by willy647

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

The PMDG (737) runs extremely well on older CPUs, the Fenix will not.

4K on anything but absolute high end is a world of pain in itself, you have it in your own hands what you open for yourself.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Hi all,

Currently running specs as per topic (4K with 75-80% resolution scaling).

Should I expect to be able to run either Fenix/PMDG @ 30 FPS with Vsync like I do in P3Dv5 (FSlabs/PMDG) do you think?  Or am I out of luck with my old hardware?

Cheers,
Rudy

It depends on what FPS you want to get.

If you are one of those who need 60+ FPS you won't succeed with that hardware.

If you are happy with 20-30 FPS, you will be fine with moderate settings in MSFS and using the DynamicLOD tool.

So many users jumped into 4K monitors, not realizing what a strain that move  puts on their system.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

In short, the MSFS game engine has some serious grunt. How that translates to 4K resolution is the real issue.

Screenshots or it doesnt happen 🤣

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

PMDG 737 running nicely with most settings Highish.  Keeping 30FPS so far - but all default scenery.  Render scaling at 75% - 4K too taxing.  Seems to be more taxing than P3D v5 @ 4K, which I have run for years very nicely.

Not daring Fenix yet.  Would be interestd to hear from anyone running it on older hardware though.

Cheers,
Rudy

Posted (edited)

I would use the Dynamic LOD mod if anything. Keep TLOD below 75 for that CPU, in my opinion. TLOD could be kept at 100, really.

Glass Cockpit probably keep to Low or Medium. Everything else: Medium. PMDG could be doable as long as you avoid AI traffic and other programs.

Once you get decent FPS with that then I would move on to the dynamic LOD mod after. Then that app/mod can increase TLOD as your climb so the ground doesn't look like a nuclear glassed desert with warping garbage (as you climb). It will lower these settings during your descent so it won't melt your CPU and cause a stutter fest.

Edited by Sonosusto

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---