Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Blame Benjamin Franklyn for Daylight Savings Time?

Apparently he came up with idea as more of an amusement, than a serious suggestion.

" At the age of 78, in a moment of whimsy, Benjamin Franklin wrote An Economical Project, a discourse on the thrift of natural versus artificial lighting. He included several funny regulations that Paris might adopt..."

https://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin.html

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I am so sick and tired of doing the time shift dance twice a year.  I really wish my government would pick one and stick with it.  At this point in my life, I don't even care which one they pick, just pick one and be done with it.

• Like 3

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

That's really funny about Ben Franklin and Parisians.

Yeah, Fisterra Spain for example is about as far west as Killarney Ireland, but Spain is on Central European Time, same as the eastern extreme of Poland, quite a big span. So it also matters where one lives within one's time zone. I think financial traders in SF and LA generally get up early to follow Wall Street office hours. I think the major exchanges in London, Frankfurt, Zurich, Milan also keep the same hours. But schools or smaller businesses should be able to set their hours locally. We open for business at 7:47 am, because I like the Boeing 747 and it's a good time to get started in this neck of the woods. So really seems like it'd be better to quit changing the clocks back and forth each year. Or at the very least Europe and North America should meet halfway and change their clocks on the same weekend. But better yet, just stop this nonsense altogether.

Posted (edited)

There is a good effort underway n congress to get rid of the time change in the USA.  What I don't like about it is that they want to make DST the permanent standard, so we move forward one hour and stay there all year.  Personally, I like standard time.

Anyway, it's time to get rid of this outdated time policy.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Posted (edited)

Agree for the British Isles, too. Its a pain in the neck. Especially so for those of us that don't sleep well and can do without the disruption.

In the UK it came into effect in 1916 due to the cost of energy usage during the war. The excuse now is that it makes better use of daylight hours. They call it daylight saving. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Antipodeslonghaul said:

Fisterra Spain for example is about as far west as Killarney Ireland, but Spain is on Central European Time, same as the eastern extreme of Poland

The east coast of Greenland is weird. Most of it is GMT, even though about 80% should be in GMT-1 and 20% should be in GMT-2.

World_Time_Zones_Map.png

• Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

In the UK it came into effect in 1916 due to the cost of energy usage during the war. The excuse now is that it makes better use of daylight hours. They call it daylight saving. 

Same thing in America. The time swap nonsense started here too during WWI. Perhaps the guy who shot Archduke Ferdinand was a time traveler who wanted the whole world to adopt Daylight Savings Time.

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

18 hours ago, dave2013 said:

There is a good effort underway n congress to get rid of the time change in the USA.  What I don't like about it is that they want to make DST the permanent standard, so we move forward one hour and stay there all year.  Personally, I like standard time.

Anyway, it's time to get rid of this outdated time policy.

Dave

There has been efforts in congress to end this time change scheme for at least the past 20 years, maybe longer.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The problem is 50% want Standard Time year round and 50% want Daylight Saving Time year round so there will always be an impasse. The obvious solution is to to have a new standard time which is halfway between the two. I see several time zones on the map which already incorporate half hour differences, e.g. Newfoundland is GMT minus 3½. One time zone is even GMT plus 12¾, so it's not a new concept.

• Like 3

Dugald Walker

21 hours ago, dmwalker said:

The east coast of Greenland is weird. Most of it is GMT, even though about 80% should be in GMT-1 and 20% should be in GMT-2.

Argentina fares also as bad. While everything is UTC-3, several zones should be UTC-4. Furthermore, some zones on the Andes (Bariloche, Calafate, Mendoza) should be UTC-5. I always say in jest that down here we're in a perpetual DST. That was after some time fooling around between UTC-4 and UTC-2 😵

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

The problem is 50% want Standard Time year round and 50% want Daylight Saving Time year round so there will always be an impasse. The obvious solution is to to have a new standard time which is halfway between the two. I see several time zones on the map which already incorporate half hour differences, e.g. Newfoundland is GMT minus 3½. One time zone is even GMT plus 12¾, so it's not a new concept.

Standard time is better for health apparently. 

40 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Standard time is better for health apparently. 

I feel it is. Unless maybe there's a showdown at high noon.

• Upvote 1

Here in Hawaii we never switch, but now East Coast is 6 hours ahead instead of 5 so getting business done is more difficult.

scott s.

• Like 2

Here in Britain sticking to BST over winter was tried many years ago. It wasn’t popular the further north you went.

The further from the equator the bigger the difference between winter and summer daylight hours. Here in Cheshire we get just under 8 hours in December but over 17 hours in June.

The long summer evenings are great for barbecues but in winter it not setting light until after 9am In Scotland meant switching back to GMT was essential.

With the US much further south I don’t see the need for DST.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather