Sign in to follow this  
jjn47

Water masks

It’s the water mask missing in the Caribbean WU most in the area that went missing are back but the Florida keys are still missing. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, g-liner said:

It’s the water mask missing in the Caribbean WU most in the area that went missing are back but the Florida keys are still missing. 

Did the Keys have masks before the Caribbean WU?

3 minutes ago, jjn47 said:

Did the Keys have masks before the Caribbean WU?

No, they didn't.

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Could someone take 5 seconds to explain what water masks actually are please?

i9-13900K | 6400MHz DDR5 (32GB) | GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | ViewSonic 27in QHD VA 165Hz Curved | Windows 10 |

MSFS Premium Deluxe | PMDG 737 | PMDG 777 | Horizon 787-9

Marc

16 minutes ago, verbal said:

Could someone take 5 seconds to explain what water masks actually are please?

In Microsoft Flight Simulator, water masks are essentially textures or visual overlays applied to bodies of water, such as oceans, lakes, and rivers. They help simulate realistic water features by providing depth and color variations. In tropical waters specifically, water masks might emphasize characteristics like vibrant colors, coral reefs, or shallow areas, creating a more immersive and visually appealing experience for pilots flying over those regions. These masks play a crucial role in enhancing the realism of the simulator's environment, making it feel more lifelike and engaging for users.

• Like 1

Jorg said they were mulling just buying a company / plane to do TIN themselves, so hoping they do that and then buy a sub to do bathymetry so we don't need to fart around with masks anymore🙃

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alvega said:

No, they didn't.

They did around key west, I thought anyway plus fort Jefferson etc. 

Either way the Caribbean Wu now has fantastic watermasking over the missing western area and looks far better. 

Edited by g-liner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Jorg said they were mulling just buying a company / plane to do TIN themselves, so hoping they do that and then buy a sub to do bathymetry so we don't need to fart around with masks anymore🙃

The pilots with the best landing challenge scores get to fly it? 

Posted (edited)

Atlantis Bahamas looking a lot better.  I probably have some third party scenery making the the impossible water hump hehe.  (Although their pics look like it has it too hehe).  Now if could just get bathymetry... and water physics for float planes!!!

My original SU14 release comparison:

53498933783_d38edf9fbd_o.jpgmynncompare by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

And after server side update today:

53586725803_4cdf25c427_o.jpgbahhhma by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

And a wider angle near MYNN

53586509431_b94d321d2c_o.jpgbahhhma2 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 7

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Bahamas do indeed look very nice now. They did good work here. 

• Like 2

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

On 3/13/2024 at 10:54 PM, ryanbatc said:

and water physics for float planes!!!

Oh, we live and hope, right? I don't know exactly how complicated the work would be for Asobo but, I'd even settle for something half-baked at this point. Just something more realistic than the zero-friction-skating-on-ice experience we currently have. It's unfortunate because other than that, flying floats in this sim is pretty awesome.

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

Bahamas do look fantastic now as does all of the Caribbean. Water masks (everywhere) adds an enhanced level of realism and immersion. Yesterday, I did a flight over a part of the Great Barrier Reef. Stunning! 

1 hour ago, CapnCrunch said:

Oh, we live and hope, right? I don't know exactly how complicated the work would be for Asobo but, I'd even settle for something half-baked at this point. Just something more realistic than the zero-friction-skating-on-ice experience we currently have. It's unfortunate because other than that, flying floats in this sim is pretty awesome.

Looking Glass Studios had this nailed 25 years ago in Flight Unlimited 2, so God knows why it is so difficult now.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

9 hours ago, Danno said:

I did a flight over a part of the Great Barrier Reef. Stunning! 

I briefly tried to find the GBR water masks but didn't see any.  Can you give me a clue how to get to them?