Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Fenix A320 landing technique and general discussion thread

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, bigifooti said:

What I actually experience is that if you're slightly below Vapp the elevator feel during flare is really heavy. resulting often in a firm landing.

Agree. With A/THR off I always try to stay a bit above Vapp, then go idle from there at about 40ft or so. I also find landings a bit easier in V2.

12 hours ago, jcomm said:

THANK YOU!!!!

You’re welcome, glad you found it useful 🙏 I have great fun making these videos and learn a lot in the process. Just did a few landings at Skiathos and it seems I’ve forgotten how to track a NDB. Need to brush up on my skills, perhaps A320 pilot has a tutorial.

10 hours ago, fsiscool said:

For things like that VR is unbeatable.

Wow, I bet! Would make things so much more immersive. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I found that video very useful! After I was done being bamboozled by the AI 😅

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Posted (edited)

Against my better judgement, I’ll share another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QR6cTACd0g

Greek Island Hopping in the A320 | NDB approaches | Short field landings | Go-Arounds

1st part: NDB runway 01 into LGSK Skiathos - 2 touch and go’s and 1 full stop landing
2nd part: NDB runway 34 into LGZA Zakinthos - 1 full stop landing

I'm a bit rusty on NDB approaches, so please take this with a grain/bucket of salt. My goal for this flight was to practice tracking VOR radials and NDB bearings without using NAV mode. Both approaches end in a visual segment which is hand-flown with flight directors and autothrottle off. I also used crosswind and short field landing techniques.

Note: at 6:10 the autopilot auto-disengaged as speed was getting critically low. I forgot to comment on this.

Locations: 
LGSK Skiathos - runway length 1628m
LGZA Zakinthos - runway length 2228m

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Against my better judgement, I’ll share another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QR6cTACd0g

Another nice vid @Cpt_Piett !

it raised a complaint I still have regarding most aircraft in MSFS2020, specially the airliners and in particular the Fenix A320 - the highly unrealistic stop distance on landing.

Your approach and landing were conducted at the preconized speeds, yet the aircraft, even considering you used "manual braking", stopped incredibly fast - way too fast ...

I'd like to know what causes this behavior, and I believe it is more likely related to the not so accurate ground physics than with the efficiency of thrust reverse and / or spoiler drag because I also experience it in prop aircraft.

Braking efficiency is way overdone on most MSFS 2020 fixed wing aircraft 😕

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

13 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Your approach and landing were conducted at the preconized speeds, yet the aircraft, even considering you used "manual braking", stopped incredibly fast - way too fast ...

That’s an interesting point, and TBH I did not know about this. 

14 minutes ago, jcomm said:

If this is the case it’d explain why I’m able to bring the aircraft to a full stop in such short distances.

I watched this last night and thought it had a few tidbits that might come in handy for approaches

• Like 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

it raised a complaint I still have regarding most aircraft in MSFS2020, specially the airliners and in particular the Fenix A320 - the highly unrealistic stop distance on landing.

I'd like to know what causes this behavior, and I believe it is more likely related to the not so accurate ground physics than with the efficiency of thrust reverse and / or spoiler drag because I also experience it in prop aircraft.

I think you'd be surprised how quickly an A320 can stop IRL with max manual and a light load. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Aamir Thacker

Posted (edited)

So perhaps the short landing distance required is not so unrealistic after all? I’m by no means an authority on the real aircraft, so I wouldn’t know. But I choose to trust Aamir on this 🙂 

wiRJrk9.png

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Double post, sorry

Edited by Cpt_Piett

2 hours ago, Aamir said:

I think you'd be surprised how quickly an A320 can stop IRL with max manual and a light load. 

Yep. It's easy to forget that aircraft are mostly empty structures built to be as light as possible 🙂

Here's an interesting vid from an IRL 737 Captain who's answering these types of burning questions ( 😉 )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

To be fair, I think dry braking is actually realistic in MSFS. The rollout distances on aircraft with 0 wind isn't as wild as you'd imagine given the size of a runway.

Remember: Most aircraft pass the end of the runway at 50 feet, and you can touch down all the way at the end of the Touch-Down-Zone where the stripes and bars stop, and then there's still some distance added for reaction time and the actual aircraft braking to begin. Max brake application to stop is usually the shortest distance when dissecting the entire landing, unless you're flying the Concorde onto an icy runway with a 15 knot tailwind or something.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Posted (edited)

Been practicing the VQPR Paro runway 15 approach which is monumentally challenging… Managing speed, descent rate and thrust all while making 30 degree bank angle turns…

I eventually made it down, landing with spoilers deployed and floating for a couple of kilometers over the runway trying to bleed off the excess speed. Needed to take a break after that, too exhausting! Not to mention the many extremely hazardous go-arounds with vertical speeds up to 5500fpm... (I was too impatient to follow the published missed approach procedures). 

Here’s the first iteration of my Paro video project (with some carefully curated music selection): 

Btw I finally managed to turn off GPWS. This will also disable the terrain radar on the ND, which wasn't that useful in this case as the weather was pretty much CAVOK.

2gT1J4Z.jpeg

Edited by Cpt_Piett

6 hours ago, Aamir said:

you'd be surprised how quickly an A320 can stop IRL with max manual and a light load. 

For example A320 CFM with 55.0 Kgs. 

spacer.png

A320 FlySmart Calculation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Been practicing the VQPR Paro runway 15 approach which is monumentally challenging… Managing speed, descent rate and thrust all while making 30 degree bank angle turns…

A right-hand circuit seems to be the best choice: