Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

How can I stop the DHC2 Beaver from creeping forward?

Posted (edited)

I cannot stop the DHC2 Beaver Amphibian from creeping forward even at minimum throttle and prop pitch set to fully 'fine' ie lever pushed all the way forward.

I use the 'tablet' to 'set' the anchor on however as soon as the engine starts the anchor automatically comes off.

I have watched a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abAMi_68TD8&t=713s&ab_channel=SprocketSimulations) which shows the Beaver sitting still at the dock even with the engine idling so there must be a method but I cannot find it.

Can anyone tell me how to stop the DHC2 from creeping forward?

Thanks

Edited by Jarnie
add amphibian

John

Gigabyte Z390  m/b, I7 9700K cpu, 16Gb ram, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor, MSFS store edition

Might want to move this from the VR sub menu.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Not sure why this would be a VR type question as it is related to the control of the aircraft?

• Like 1

John

Gigabyte Z390  m/b, I7 9700K cpu, 16Gb ram, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor, MSFS store edition

4 hours ago, Jarnie said:

Not sure why this would be a VR type question as it is related to the control of the aircraft?

… and yet you posted it in the VR section?

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitor: 32” ASUS PG32UCDM 240hz 4K | Additional Hardware: HP Reverb G2, TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Woops I DID post there (didn't notice the VR before).   

I could only find two forums for MSFS and the other one 'tips and tricks' (which I erroneously posted another question there some time again and 'got into trouble and so assumed (incorrectly) that the other oner was for everything else)

What is the correct forum to post such questions? I didn't think there were any other forums for such a msfs specific questions?

John

Posted (edited)

Thanks.  I now see that 'tips and tricks' and 'VR' are sub forums of the 'all encompassing' MSFS2020

I also note that others may have also 'fallen into the trap' in thinking that 'tips and tricks' or 'vr' needs to be selected and that they are not sub forums.  On my screen it is not obvious there are in fact existing 'posts' in the 'top' forum unless I scroll down.

Is there someone who can move my question there rather than have two threads for the same question in separate forums?

Edited by Jarnie

John

9 hours ago, Jarnie said:

It's now moved to the proper forum!

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

@Jarnie

I think it's just a limitation of the sim that the Beaver 'creeps' in the water.  Water should involve a lot more friction than wheels sitting on land, but I'm not sure this is reflected in MSFS.

If you creep too far forward, I think - from memory - you can use your keystroke for "pushback" and nudge the plane back 😄

I know you said you'd used the anchor, but have you tried hitting the keystroke for parking brake?   It may still be active, even though it's a water bird, and may hold the plane still.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Unless MSFS 2020 simulates currents ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2, VSkylabs DC-3 and R66, LES DC-3, AWX DC-3

One workaround is to use Toolbar Pushback by AmbitiousPilots. (You activate the pushback with a tug speed of zero.) This seems to be an imperfect solution. Perhaps others have better ideas.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Dunno how the anchor works in the sim, but you’d never have a plane anchored and the engine running in real life. 

As far as a Beaver (or any piston) goes, unless it’s tied to the dock, as soon as you start it, you’re moving.  

2000 hours on floats IRL here.  

• Like 1

It could be just the wind or currents (doubt that MSFS simulates currents but it does simulate wind).

But I think that anything with a moving propeller will start to move forward unless there is an equal counterforce, e.g. the right slope or headwind.
Unless it is halted by friction, brakes, chocks, ropes of course. Since there is hardly any friction in water if it isn't moored or achored it will creep forward.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, JYW said:

@Jarnie

If you creep too far forward, I think - from memory - you can use your keystroke for "pushback" and nudge the plane back 😄

@Jarnie As Bill suggests above - Shift-P is default keyboard setting to nudge you back.  Shift-P again to stop.  As others have said, I don't know the answer to stop it creeping.  A water anchor would certainly be good.

• Like 1

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thanks everyone.  It seems that the parking brake will prevent 'creep'.

I guess that as it is an amphibian the handbrake would work when parked on ground but on water? How would that work? Not possible.

Unless of course it imitates being tied up to the dock? Engaging the anchor only works with the engine off - well that is what happens to me anyway.

And yes ambitious pilot pushback helps here too to emulate ground/dock crew pushing the floatplane away from a dock and point it somewhere else as happens in real life where there is not enough space for the Beaver to be able to do a 180 degree turn using only the water rudders and tail rudder.

• Like 1

John