Sign in to follow this  
Guest JeanLuc_

Next time you feel like ragging on FSX.....

Amazing how one engine clogged with backwards compatability issues can take you :-roll

I swear, the single worst thing about FSX (except frame rate) is that bizarre water, it is the worst...

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I don't see any difference............:-badteeth Seriously though, the water in FSX is odd, but so is the lack of any shoreline. The textures just disappear!

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Aviator_Frank

>Seriously though, the water in FSX is odd, but so is the lack>of any shoreline. The textures just disappear! UTX fixes that :)

Guest Doods

Man there quiite a difference in them i had fs98 you can't compare them ...theres only one thing i would change in FSX and thats backward compatability there shouldn't be any.....

>Try fs1-1 fps. I was elated when I got 12 fps with fs4-with a>voodoo card add on!>>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/:D yea, some complain about getting 15-20 fps now....and back then (pretty much through FS-5), if you got 5-10 you were doing pretty darn good! IIRC, we were not seeing folks cross the '20' barrier until FS98 had become a little established......It really is amazing though where this hobby has come in 10 short years. Now, 10 years may seem to be a long time for some of you, but as I'm turning 50 within the next week, 10 years 'flys' by ;)

Guest JeanLuc_

Thas is amazing indeed how we forget fast! thank you for the refresher!!Now, however, I've just downloaded the XPlane 9 beta 2 and next time I feel like ragging on FSX, well, I'd certainly know what to double-click on... this X-Plane icon on my desktop. I'll trade some eye candy anytime just to get this fluid motion sensation (I think I was at least 60FPS if not 80 with no stuttering) I get with XPlane.I just love FS, but I have to admit that XPlane starts to attract me a lot.

Guest United

SOrry, I still feel like ragging......FSX has caused nothing but problems for my add-on software developer abilities, without with, FSX is nothing really. Just my feelings on the matter.Randy Jura, KPDX

JeanLuc, I gotta tell ya, I went to the XPlane site to see the screen shots of beta2....man'o'man, I think I might have to try this myself. It does look awful good.

what do you mean with your "add-on software developer abilities"? You are a developer that has problems developing add-ons?

Guest deadly

We still have the same junk engine, but with a whole lotta hacks bolted on :-hang

>>.....It really is amazing though where this hobby has come in>10 short years. Now, 10 years may seem to be a long time for>some of you, but as I'm turning 50 within the next week, 10>years 'flys' by ;)>You know what I was doing 10 years ago? I was on Mike Marando's Flight Sim Uploads pretty often. I was amazed to have ftp/internet period. The whole FS world was just beginning to open up.I was designing scenery, the Alfred Grech style (old tile scenery) using the ORIGINAL bglcomp and bgltools and bglgen programs by Hiroo Umeno. Where are all of those guys?Adam Szofran had his FSASM compiler too. (He's now on ACES doing the terrain system). It had PCL which we still don't have today.Justin Tyme was just getting started and asking 1000 questions. I can't even remember what message board it was back then. Maybe usenet or something. Or maybe that was AVSIM when it first started, I can't remember.The first time I designed a 3D textured mountain (this is before terrain mesh/dems) I almost fell out of my chair! It was so realistic!10 years before that, now THAT was a long time ago. FS2 days for me. Junior High School. Iran-Contra. Gorbachev. Wow.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest United

Thanks for the sarcasm, really adds to the conversation.......no, fsx has managed to hobble the add-on develops that I BUY PRODUCT FROM!....and therefore managed to ruin my experience.Randy Jura, KPDX