Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Why I like P3D 4.5 in 3 words

Code is frozen.

No more updates. Yaaayyy! 🙂

It's also the flight sim version with the most compatible add-ons available (and can be made to work with FSX stuff too). It's like owning and appreciating antique furniture.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I’m on V5.4, nevertheless I love your post for all the reasons you stated. Only thing I wouldn’t say either version is antique. Both versions are very modern and relative to many of us.

• Like 2

Vic green

5 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Code is frozen.

It's also the flight sim version with the most compatible add-ons available (and can be made to work with FSX stuff too). It's like owning and appreciating antique furniture.

I visit the other forum every now and then. I don’t understand how folks put up with that nonsense. It is what it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newtie said:

I visit the other forum every now and then. I don’t understand how folks put up with that nonsense. It is what it is.

There's many reasons.

One possible explanation, BOREDOM. Just to try something new.

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

9 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Code is frozen.

I‘m a very happy P3Dv5.4 user for the same reasons. My current sim time is

95% P3DV5.4

5% MSFS

Felix

5.4. This true simulator really works.

But I'm starting to think about giving a chance to "2024". We'll see how it develops...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

11 minutes ago, Flyfox said:

I‘m a very happy P3Dv5.4 user for the same reasons. My current sim time is

95% P3DV5.4

5% MSFS

Kinda poetic.  P3D v4.5 and P3D v5.4.  4.5 and 5.4. Don't you think? Must mean something! 🙂

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Both good and bad then, For XP12, there is still tons of incoming feature I looking forwarded to, kinda annoying me as "Why it's still not here yet!"

For P3Dv5, All the mishaps I'll need to live with or find a workaround, still annoying, but kinda more settling and claim than "Why it's still not here yet!", nothing to looking forwarded to.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Juliett Alfa Romeo said:

But I'm starting to think about giving a chance to "2024". We'll see how it develops...

Chance would be a fine thing. But I am not going to fork out yet another fortune to have another sim. when the 5.4 I have works more than well enough for me.

• Like 2

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

2 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Kinda poetic.  P3D v4.5 and P3D v5.4.  4.5 and 5.4. Don't you think? Must mean something! 🙂

Yes, indeed! Actually, I still keep 4.5 on my computer, but in the meantime I got 98% of my addons running on 5.4. The only exception is iFly‘s 747.

Keep enjoying 4.5!

• Like 1

Felix

5.3HF2 here for the foreseeable future. 5.4 gave me freezing problems with some AIG Ai BGLs. Reverting solved that problem.

And buying ENVPlus and ENVShade has improved cockpit darkness plus considerable improved visibility. Still a bluish haze but I can live with that.

Most importantly…

1) No forced updates.

2) Active Sky plus ASCA with all the benefits those give me.

3) Radar Contact v4 for decent ATC.

4) AFCADs can be edited to correct various airport details such as changed ILSs and runway designations. Sadly not compatible with v6.

5) Huge back catalogue for 3rd party addons.

6) 64-bit Concorde exclusively available for v5 (for the foreseeable future).

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

There's many reasons.

One possible explanation, BOREDOM. Just to try something new.

In the IT field there's a saying. People who buy software applications wind up using 10% of its functionality. I think this applies to flight sim software as well, give or take. In 5.4 I'm digging out that other 90% which includes study level aircraft and recently, ATC. Gotta say boredom ahs not come a knockin' yet.

• Like 1

5.4  all the way!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Another highly satisfied 5.4 flyer, here!  I agree with all that Ray said above plus the PMDG a/c. I'm a happy simmer!

• Upvote 1

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

19 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

(and can be made to work with FSX stuff too)

That's the main reason I've just returned to v4.5. I fully understand your reasons for either 4.5, 5.3 or 5.4.

I used to enjoy 5.4 and it's higher performance. However, the default airports aren't that good. Converting any FSX scenery or AFCAD to v5 ended up being a chore. I tried using the default v4 airports in v5 (more details here and here) but somehow it didn't feel right (for example, some runways ended up buried). Now I'm back to v4.5 and it feels great. Let's see how long can I stay in 4.5 before wanting to go back to 5.4 and its improvements 😂

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON) Ryzen 7 5700X3D (with SMT off and CO -50 mV), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.