Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

Horizon Simulations B787-9, any news?

I find on rotation the aircraft bobs up and down once airborne. Really difficult to follow the HUD flight path guidance. To maintain the correct vertical profile I have to manually add soooo much nose down trim on climb out.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Posted (edited)

It is a decent aircraft for freeware. But the way it handles LNAV and VNAV is far from good, and the flight model is very jerky and not smooth, typical MSFS flight model basically. But for freeware there can be no complaints.

Hopefully the 777 will be out soon. 

It is sad to think that the next sim is not far from release and there still isn't a single good long hauler.

Edited by abennett

3 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

shit-addon.png

Because there's the chart and the purple is what the horizon would of done.  cant really do some funky circle to land rnp at one of the worlds busiest airports.  

You’re in plan mode doing 478 TAS. It will show those turns as if it was done at your current speed. How did it look once you flew the approach? Flown that approach myself twice this week in the 789 and it followed it per the charts no problem

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, mrlip said:

You’re in plan mode doing 478 TAS. It will show those turns as if it was done at your current speed

It shouldn't do this though, it should draw at the calculated speeds. It also doesn't calculate the speeds at later waypoints correctly anyway, but it would still be more accurate if it did this.

9 hours ago, mrlip said:

You’re in plan mode doing 478 TAS. It will show those turns as if it was done at your current speed. How did it look once you flew the approach? Flown that approach myself twice this week in the 789 and it followed it per the charts no problem

That’s the issue, it will likely sort itself out and fly the approach correctly when you slow down but it should be able to draw the approach in advance correctly if the correct speeds are in the FMC. Either at each waypoint or on the descent page but unfortunately it doesn’t. 

Sure  it’s an irritation if you’re checking the route in advance before before the descent etc  is correct as you would IRL but it will still likely fly it correctly when you get there. 

That’s my understanding anyway. 

23 hours ago, g-liner said:

That’s the issue, it will likely sort itself out and fly the approach correctly when you slow down but it should be able to draw the approach in advance correctly if the correct speeds are in the FMC. Either at each waypoint or on the descent page but unfortunately it doesn’t. 

Sure  it’s an irritation if you’re checking the route in advance before before the descent etc  is correct as you would IRL but it will still likely fly it correctly when you get there. 

That’s my understanding anyway. 

correct and thanks

14ppkc-6.png

On 4/17/2024 at 1:46 PM, BWBriscoe said:

I find on rotation the aircraft bobs up and down once airborne. Really difficult to follow the HUD flight path guidance. To maintain the correct vertical profile I have to manually add soooo much nose down trim on climb out.

I have a working theory about this.

I believe that there is a bug in the software, such that when the plane rotates, the trim freezes in it's last position. I find that I can trim nose down and it has zero effect.

My work around, has been to engage the AP right after takeoff, get the aircraft stable and then disengage the AP to hand fly whatever portion of the STAR I want.

In any event, I believe the takeoff flight dynamics should be the very first thing that Horizon tackles. 

Agreed- in fairness the -10 is better… the shorter moment arm shatters the rotational characteristics… hopefully there will be a concrete solution.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Posted (edited)

So as to understand your take-off difficulty and help you out of it, could you @Boeing_Driver and @cavaricooper please explain how you load (weight and balance I mean) your B789 via Simbrief and the FMC, what you describe was indeed true upon release but has since then been corrected a long time ago, so there is most certainly a way to overcome your challenge.

Edited by Bernard Ducret

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

2 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

So as to understand your take-off difficulty and help you out of it, could you @Boeing_Driver and @cavaricooper please explain how you load (weight and balance I mean) your B789 via Simbrief and the FMC, what you describe was indeed true upon release but has since then been corrected a long time ago, so there is most certainly a way to overcome your challenge.

I don't use simbrief, but I set the takeoff trim as per the FMC and how it has determined the CG.

Posted (edited)

another issue I've noticed with the -9, flares too early when using autoland.

Other than that I just landed EGLL-CYYZ, and it flew fine.

Edited by Tuskin38

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Boeing_Driver said:

I don't use simbrief, but I set the takeoff trim as per the FMC and how it has determined the CG.

@Boeing_Driver OK understood. I tried the following scenario for you not using Simbrief: RJTT-RJOA I filled up my weight & balance manually on the relevant FMC page at Index>Settings>Weight & Balance as follows: PAX 312, Cargo 10900 Kg, Fuel 50750 KG, (computed by FMC) ZFW 166354, (Computed by FMC) CG 21.62. I filled up the Performance page, did not input any flight plan neither did I select a CI (the CI is computed by Simbrief), only selected a departure RJTT RWY 34R and a destination RJOA for the sake of trying the TO.

On the EFB (Performance page), I copied automatically the FMC data with the button on the bottom left, input Wind 040/04, OAT 17C, QNH 1008, RTG > TO, MAX > ATM, 5 > Flaps, Engine Auto > A/I, clicked on Calculate: Results V1 154, VR 160, V2 166, clicked on Send Output (bottom left), on the FMC clicked on "Accept", the calculated CG remains 21 and the Trim 6.25 is set accordingly. Now, if you wish, try your VR with this scenario and see if there is a difference with your previous experiences (of course I assume you have the latest version of the HS 789).

Edited by Bernard Ducret

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

Bernard-

Are you saying you do not get rotational pitch problems with the 787? I would be most interested to lean how?

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Posted (edited)

No I don’t Carl, I believe that this has to do with my sticking to the weight and balance procedure in the FMC and the EFB as I described it several times in this thread and also using the two Simbrief profiles for the RR and GE versions when planning my flights. Try to make it shorter and you are likely to experience the takeoff difficulties you (and many others) experience. Or - more simply - I may be lucky!

But I prefer the first option...

Edited by Bernard Ducret

Bernard