Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Floyds Epic Clouds (Latest version)

Posted (edited)

Floyds-Epic-Clouds

I have posted these previously long ago, but it bears repeating for those who may have missed them. In my opinion these free clouds rival or actually exceed the beauty of any commercial package. Almost a must-have. (unless you have something against presets!)

1. Here are options for a set of 20 or 70 cloudscapes with a spread of properties to provide beautiful and realistic environments for your flights.
  2. You might then be wondering what to expect, as sinful_regal did:

"This mod is amazing. I highly suggest you download it. You will never go back to Microsoft's word not allowed defaults again. Floyd's clouds are integral to simming guys and girls. I didn't know what to think, but after using it for the first time, it is well worth all the great reviews."
--- sinful_regal

Epic Cloud Features

• The clouds have interdependent weather properties, including cloud cover, temperature, pressure, snow and wind speed.
  • Winds Aloft is included on each cloudscape, the prevailing wind direction is  based on the climactic zone of the cloudscape and will affect your flight time at altitude.
  • Special Environments have been provided
  • Thermals for gliders
  • Directional winds for balloons

...find out more here

User Requests are included

• Including the DCS style 'Double Cloud Stack' preset
  • Turbulence (gusting winds preset)
  • Persistent rain
  • The name includes cloud cover and temperature information using a choice of Fahrenheit or Celsius scales and two sort orders, just choose the installation that suits your preference.
  • Two sort orders and two temperature scales available so you can view the list in 'cloud cover' order or 'name' order. Both options are have Centigrade and Fahrenheit variants.
  • For more information check this User Guide
  • Epic Clouds & Live Weather?
  • I would like to provide dynamic clouds, but Microsoft hasn't provided an official means to be able to do that. I do research this possibility from time to time but I don't want to make something that could potentially fall apart after a sim update. See also: Frequently Asked Questions

Epic Clouds & FPS?

Each cloud preset has an FPS cost as does everything else in the sim. Translucent clouds use more than opaque ones. You can maximise your PC configuration for flight simulation here: https://channellfd.com/how-to-configure-msfs-for-vr/  Note:  MSFS 2024 will access all your CPU cores and give you an increased capability to provide stutter-free flights.

7prTYO.png

tm1PB8.png

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Been using these presets for quite awhile now and yep. They are that good

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, styckx said:

Been using these presets for quite awhile now and yep. They are that good

I had them installed for a while, but not the current version.

I like how they are now prepackaged in various configurations like fahrenheit, centigrade or cloud type etc, that you can install or not based on your preference.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, Boeing_Driver said:

Am I correct that they are not compatible with using live weather?

They are presets

Devons rig

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Boeing_Driver said:

Correct.

The package contains weather presets, albeit often far more realistic than Live Weather.

spacer.png

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I’ve had these installed for a while but keep forgetting to use them as I tend to use live weather. Great variety of cloud types though.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I’ve had these installed for a while but keep forgetting to use them as I tend to use live weather. Great variety of cloud types though.

Whenever I fly GA, the current real world weather is less important as I'm less likely to encounter opposite traffic on approach. So, I immediately go to Floyd's presets whenever I start up a bug smasher.

Additionally for REX AccuSeason Advanced users, the two Fall Seasonal Weather Overcast presets are very realistic, IMO.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Been using Floyds clouds since the beginning, no idea I missed an update though. 

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

I had them installed for a while, but not the current version.

I like how they are now prepackaged in various configurations like fahrenheit, centigrade or cloud type etc, that you can install or not based on your preference.

Yeah they've been that way for a number of versions now. I just use the standard as I'm not to concerned with temps and such

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

13 minutes ago, styckx said:

Yeah they've been that way for a number of versions now. I just use the standard as I'm not to concerned with temps and such

I put them all in addon Linker so I can switch according to mood.

Devons rig

These just highlight to me (very well) what the potential is for live weather. It’s such a shame we can’t have this art with live conditions….out to the horizon with fronts etc being visible, which is what we were promised when MSFS launched!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Boeing_Driver said:

Other options are Rex Weatherforce or xEnviro that will produce better, and more varied cloud types, than MSFS live weather.  Activesky will no doubt be as good.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I have Floyds Epic Clouds, but I never use them.  I can see they would be useful if you want those particular conditions for a flight.  

An argument for not using a weather addon like Rex Weather or xEnviro is the global nature of the weather, even those these addons will give clouds as good as these presets, which are global as well. At least the two products I mention do transition (much better than we had in previous sims) between weather areas.

I have a couple of addon weather preset packs, but don't use them because of the quality of clouds in Rex and xEnviro.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home