Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Local Historical Disgrace for the world updates?

Posted (edited)

Might be a fun marketplace offering to accompany each new World Update.

UK nominations.
1) The Blackburn Botha. A reconnaissance plane whose cockpit provided horrible visibility.

2) The Brewster Buffalo. Ugly fodder for Japanese Zeros.

3) The Fairy Battle. The Germans shot down a 100 of these in a single week.

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

2) The Brewster Buffalo. Ugly fodder for Japanese Zeros.

Unfair!😶 The RAF may have flown it, but it's a US ordered, designed and built aircraft.😛

A better offering (and in the spirit of Asobo often giving us planes with limited production runs), I submit the Supermarine Nighthawk. From the company that gave us the Spitfire came this brute in WWI, which took an hour to reach 10000 feet, it was that low on power! Only one built, unsurprisingly.

Supermarine_P.B.31E_Nighthawk.jpgthe-zeppelin-killer-supermarine-night-ha

1*KJvDU4NNNTm3ClWCNX0RTg.jpeg

• Like 3

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

😂

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Supermarine_P.B.31E_Nighthawk.jpg

At first I thought you made that picture with photoshop! 🤣

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Unfair!😶 The RAF may have flown it, but it's a US ordered, designed and built aircraft.

I submit the Supermarine Nighthawk. From the company that gave us the Spitfire came this brute in WWI, which took an hour to reach 10000 feet, it was that low on power! Only one built, unsurprisingly.

Interesting story worth a read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Nighthawk 

Applied aerodynamics was in its infancy. They were imaginative enough to try even fancy designs then They abandon it just because they found a more efficient way to destroy the Zeppelin she was meant to shoot down not because she was sluggish to climb.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Well, we should be grateful it is not just another flying boat.  Although it was a near miss going for a short Brothers design - they did loads. 

Although I would make an exception for the Short Sunderland flying boat.  A classic, and I went onboard the one at the Hendon Museum recently.  I could have quite happily made my home on it!  :biggrin:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, Fielder said:

It does look like one of those terrible AI-generated images!😄

45 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Although I would make an exception for the Short Sunderland flying boat.

Absolutely. The Boeing Clipper may get all the glamour love but the Sunderland is by far my favourite of the two.

• Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

5 hours ago, Fielder said:

At some stage they must have realized that putting more wings on it would not make it fly any better! Wings probably weigh as much as the fuselage and motors.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I can only imagine what joy it must've been to control this thing in pitch... 😉

My preference would go to the Fleet Shadower, noiseless and carrier-borne. That it is pretty ugly is of no importance as it was designed for night patrol.  Imagine the challenge  flying at night at 38 knots and not to fall asleep 😴 

GAL38.jpg

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

12 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

From the company that gave us the Spitfire came this brute in WWI, which took an hour to reach 10000 feet

AKA the spiritual predecessor of the A340-300.

• Like 1

Or why not a Japanese Zero? This was clearly the worst plane ever made, it´s only task was getting the cockpit canopy sealed with screws and bolts to prevent the pilot from escaping and crash it on purpose "for honour". Literally the same as these manned torpedos but as flying version.

And this quadruple-decker looks awesome! It´s stall speed was probably 20 knots.

40 minutes ago, JetCat said:

Or why not a Japanese Zero? This was clearly the worst plane ever made, it´s only task was getting the cockpit canopy sealed with screws and bolts to prevent the pilot from escaping and crash it on purpose "for honour".

Not sure if you're serious. You do realize that only a small fraction of Zeros were used in Kamikaze operations?

"The Zero is considered to have been the most capable carrier-based fighter in the world when it was introduced early in World War II, combining excellent maneuverability and very long range."

"In early combat operations, the Zero gained a reputation as a dogfighter, achieving an outstanding kill ratio of 12 to 1."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_A6M_Zero

Clearly the worst plane ever made? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1