Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Strange artifact - never seen this before...

Just encountered this on my last flight, don't think I've seen it before. 

As you can see in the video, the artifact does not seem to be related to frame generation. Does anybody know what the cause might be?

Graphics settings: SU15 beta | 4K 3820x2160 | DX12 FG | DLSS+DLAA | DLSS 3.7 in preset F | Ultra with shadows 6K | FPS RTSS-locked at 63 in front edge sync

Hardware: 12900KF @ 5.1GHz | RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR5

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Looks like ghosting. Have you tried with ambient occlusion turned off? IIRC, that causes some ghosting.
If not, then I may be mistaken and forgot which lighting/shadow setting it was.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Looks like ghosting. Have you tried with ambient occlusion turned off? IIRC, that causes some ghosting.
If not, then I may be mistaken and forgot which lighting/shadow setting it was.

So I am not the OP but wanted to say thank you!  I have had this on my AI, my gauges etc to varying degrees ever since going to DX12 with DLSS and Frame Generation on.   I incorrectly assumed this was the DX12 artifacts everyone referred to with DX12. 

Sure enough it's been Ambient Occlusion this whole time.  

Now my DX12/DLSS looks crisp as can be with no artifacts.  Thank you so much! 

• Like 3

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

2 hours ago, psolk said:

So I am not the OP but wanted to say thank you!  I have had this on my AI, my gauges etc to varying degrees ever since going to DX12 with DLSS and Frame Generation on.   I incorrectly assumed this was the DX12 artifacts everyone referred to with DX12. 

Sure enough it's been Ambient Occlusion this whole time.  

Now my DX12/DLSS looks crisp as can be with no artifacts.  Thank you so much! 

Going to test that one too

André

Looks like almost all vehicle traffic up close in the sim of late… maybe related to that?

Can someone tell me the paintjob or livery on the OP video. It seemed to me the problem is no longer showing up after he turned off FG.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I tested, but zoomed that chase view in closer. Airplane spun around like in OP video (External View Look Up,Down,Right,Left assigned onto a 4way hat switch).

Got same artifact with FG on but none with FG off. Is FG related.

But am using DLSS Quality instead of DLSS DLAA. (With only a 4070 I don't  have the horsepower to run DLAA).

Render preset Ultra, Both LODs at 200. 5162 x 1440p screen resolution (double wide 1440p).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

It is FG. Its because of the repetitive checker board patern. From one regular frame to the next the FG algorithm is confusing one black square for another.

I've seen something similar with the windows down the fuselage of airliners. They all look the same and FG algorithm confuses one for another.

You see a similar thing in videos of propellers and heli rotors when they appear to stand still or move slowly backwards because the frame frequency is close too or identical too the prop blade displacement.

Edited by FBW737

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

Can someone tell me the paintjob or livery on the OP video. It seemed to me the problem is no longer showing up after he turned off FG.

It was one of the default liveries that comes with the Tomahawk. 

Strange thing was that I did turn FG off, as I first suspected that was the culprit. But the issue persisted. Perhaps it’s not clear in the video.

Like I said, never seen this before in MSFS. If it occurs again I’ll try with ambient occlusion off.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

I have seen this effect with distant AI aircraft occasionally.  It's pretty rare though and I've never observed this on my user airplane.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Strange thing was that I did turn FG off

I see from your signature that you are using a HDTV for display LG 77" OLED 3840x2160. What is your refresh rate set too? If its 30hz? I beat that TV has Frame interpolation. It may be activating its own frame interpolation when you have Nvidia FG off and its receiviung a signal that's below 60hz. In which case my explanation is possibly right but its not Nvidia FG algorithm that's confused but the TV Frame interpolation algorithm that's confused.

EDIT: of course my theory is complete horse 💩 because if it was correct the artifact wouldn't shown up in the video!🤪

Edited by FBW737

13 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

EDIT: of course my theory is complete horse 💩 because if it was correct the artifact wouldn't shown up in the video!🤪

Haha, that's ok. I read your post on my ipad and tried to wrap my head around it. Then moved to my PC to reply and you'd already edited your post 🙂 Thanks for trying to help though, appreciated! 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

I have seen this effect with distant AI aircraft occasionally.  It's pretty rare though and I've never observed this on my user airplane.

Now that you mention it, I think I have seen that too with AI aircraft. 

I would suggest a default setup in nVIDIA inspector (with no presets), it might work, I have seen unexplainable results from some presets in a way or another.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

2 hours ago, penta_a said:

I would suggest a default setup in nVIDIA inspector (with no presets), it might work, I have seen unexplainable results from some presets in a way or another.

Thanks. If I encounter the issue again, I’ll do that.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 11:44 PM, virtualstuff said:

Going to test that one too

No difference in the setting here local, but it's also rarely to encounter this issue anyway...

André