Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Wrapping up SW England - Land's End to Lizard Point

Posted (edited)

OK, I've been hanging around Southwest England a lot lately as a (non-local) awestruck tourist...for several days...discovering the beauty of mountain-less land...🙂...and prodding a few others here (local and non-local) to do the same....🙂...I've visited Channel Islands, Isles of Scilly, Cornwall Coast and Newquay Airport...etc... So, before, I finally head back across the 7 Seas to Illinois, USA, I thought I would pay a visit to Lizard Point (also in Cornwall, and often called just "Lizard" by the natives...🙂...), which is the most southerly point of mainland Great Britain, of course, losing the absolute (southernmost) title by a whisker (only by 4 miles of Celtic Sea) to St Agnes of the Scilly Isles, which I've also visited...

Previously, on my way from St Mary's Airport (EGHE) to Newquay Airport (EGHQ), I'd vertically crossed the southernmost coastline of (mainland) England, and, here, I travel horizontally, from West to East, skirting the same coastline, from Land's End Airport (EGHC), all the way to Lizard Point (see my MFD Map shot #2, below, for relative positions of these two locales, across a distance of only about 25 miles). There is no airport at Lizard, the nearest airport being Land's End where I've started from...

Of interest and note: Land's End, my ORIG, is the most westerly point of mainland England, again, losing the absolute (westernmost) title narrowly to Corrachadh Mòr in the Scottish Highland (by a margin of just about 20 miles). I was reading further a bit: Which is better, the Lizard Point or Land's End...? Lizard Point has just a car park, couple of shops/eateries and the nearby village (Lizard village is half-mile north of the Lizard Point overlook). On the other hand, it says, Land's End has been bought and turned into a sort of theme park. So, the Lizard definitely fits my bill better...🙂...my younger days of fascination with crowded Theme Parks being things of the past now...🙂...Well...Nonetheless, both Land's End and Lizard Point are special corners of the Earth. As someone said here, the next stop west across the vast Atlantic Ocean, 2,000+ miles away, is Newfoundland...!

So, here we go...please find a collection of 20 pictures, as I fly eastward from Land's End to Lizard Point along the coast (and the cliffs), at altitudes (varying between 500 ft to 2,000 ft) with the setting sun behind me, and in the comfort of my (favorite tourer twin) Dornier 62...🙂...In my last 4 screenshots except the last one, I've reached Lizard Point (and overhead of it), as also seen on the MFD Map. In the final image, I'm (reluctantly) turning my a/c backwards to trace my route (back) to Land's End airport...with no place to put my aircraft down around there in Lizard...

Thanks for viewing. Hope you enjoy.

tyH4Ae.png

CUexlT.png

K83OFd.png

DFeKM2.png

NfhF8s.png

pgdGPL.png

cB3t5K.png

v3zD2k.png

Zkhooo.png

Iq9vGw.png

tgO1X8.png

UxTN5U.png

CrOmre.png

BSwJCh.png

Vvtf4H.png

SW7Cvm.png

SCLPqF.png

Njr61V.png

ZUOcPH.png

S4v0QF.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 6

Great set 🙂

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Posted (edited)

Good time to be making this flight...great lighting on the cliffs.

Edited by John F
  • Like 1

Nice set of shots !

cheers 😉

• Like 2

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Lovely set of shots, P_7878! And glad you've enjoyed this little patch of the world, it is quite a spectacular place. We moved down to Torquay (from London, then Reading)  a bit over 20 years ago and were amazed by the beauty of the region. Only had one previous visit as a kid, so didn't know the place at all. I had done a lot of travel to California for work in the '80s and '90s, been up and down the PCH several times, and I can honestly say that for me, the two places are comparable (except it rains a whole lot more here and gets a whole lot colder)

Devon and Cornwall are quite different in may ways though. Devon, particularly our bit, has a tendency towards a more "chocolate boxy" sort of landscape whereas Cornwall is a bit more wild. Oh, and Cornwall is one of those places that likes to claim historical separation from everyone else, demanding independence and self government from time to time. Some justification there, actually, given the history of the peoples of the UK. First time we came down here and did a trip across the Tamar (the river dividing Devon and Cornwall) via Brunel's bridge at Plymouth, we'd gone about five miles in to the county when I saw a big painted message on the side of a farmhouse. It read "English go home!" Which struck me as a bit weird, as technically we were actually in England at that point. Nice pasties though!

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

I just got the Orbx Southern England add on so I'll be seeing you there!

• Like 1

As an American visitor, you should build into your choice between Lands End and The Lizard the unique ties the latter has with America.

In December 1901, Guglielmo Marconi made the first trans-Atlantic radio transmission from Poldhu on the Lizard to Newfoundland.   Oddly, the first ever trans-Atlantic television transmission via the Telstar satellite was received at Goonhilly Downs, also on the Lizard.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/cornwall/lizard-point/history-of-the-marconi-radio-stations-on-lizard-point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goonhilly_Satellite_Earth_Station

• Upvote 1

ngxu_banner.png

Nice set P_7878, #1 is a great shot of the plane.

• Like 1

PC: Ryzen 7 3700x AM4, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Storage SSD 3TB, HDD 8TB, USB 8TB, 2 Screens, Win10-64

SIMs: FSX SE, P3d 3.4/4.5/6.1, Xplane11/12, MSFS, Aerofly 4

Thank you all for the contributions to this post of mine.... fascinating incidences and interesting experiences from this region... 🙂...

With some add-on scenery, these corners of the world, surrounded by seas, can be indeed quite enjoyable to visit...in our SIM...

Happy flying and see you around there...🙂....!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1