Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

MSFS REX weather engine

3 hours ago, motishow said:

absolutely rex is the winner

Active sky is a joke, don't wsaste your money

You're entitled to your opinion but it might help your case if you gave the reasons you feel this way.

If you don't respond your post will be hidden.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Rex weather has five years historical weather, rex has better clouds , rex is in msfs since three years ago

4 minutes ago, motishow said:

Rex weather has five years historical weather, rex has better clouds , rex is in msfs since three years ago

I'll leave others to discuss the differences with you. Bear in mind the difference between opinion and fact.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

No METAR and PRESET based WX will be able to get you anythning near to what MSFS currently does (read PRESET based!).

One airfield has few clouds and 20 miles away on another airfield you have incoming storms. So you will have to aply 2 presets (which can not be done) at this time.

E.g. I constantly fly to Romania Timisoara on business. At this time both REX and AS show a "sunny day" over the Airport because the METAR says so. But just few miles away, you have a closed cloud covarage which brings rain. Gues what the sim shows with REX and AS ;).

Only MSFS depicts this closest to what happens in real life. Is it spot on all the time? No, but I tend to accept the general weather coverage idea more the a METAR PRESET based WX.

My 2 ct.

Couldn't agree more 3d party WX apps are useless here local when the WX API isn't accessible to them...

Edited by virtualstuff

André

17 hours ago, virtualstuff said:

Couldn't agree more 3d party WX apps are useless here local when the WX API isn't accessible to them...

When was your last flight with REX from A to B through weather? What was specifically the issue. I continue to have good luck and I am wondering why?

Chris Chiozza

@cchiozza you got it wrong. Let me ask you something: In your flight from A to B did you use webcams in the sky to check if the reported weather is actualy drawn? <- this is a bit sarcastic.

Do you understand what weather presets are? E.g. you go in MSFS and pic a weather setting e.g. Clear Sky. Looking all around you you will see that preset. If you want to change it you will have to go again in the weather tab and take the storm preset....ergo...anything around you is going to be stormy.

This is exactly what todays WX generating APP (REX and AS) are doing automaticaly for you. They do not have just 6 presets but extremely many and they apply a preset that best matches the METAR were you are BUT IT DOES IT EVERYWHERE around you! If you are on an airport with clear skys and as I said earlyer 50 miles away there is another airport reporting inbound storms, you will initially see nothing on the horizont taking of from your clear sky airport. Getting closer to the "stormy condition" airport, a transition of weather themes will occure but it will change anything around you into that METAR preset.

So if you just fly from A to B you will probably enjoy your flight and see some nice WX around you. You like it, enjoy it!

MSFS uses a GLOBAL weather model. So basicaly they know every weather station (meteo blue) around the planet. They create a global "world wide" weather and in such a case you will probably see the storm clouds already in the distance. Because the model a global based weather, there are cases where the drawn WX differs (more or less) from the local METAR report. I currently want this GLOBAL representation instead the local representation.

Above explanation is a raw representation of the current state until MSFS opens up the API (if ever).

Just another example: I live in germany S near lake Constance. Near me is EDNY airport. Over the lake you will find the Swiss Alps (mountains) and a small aiport LSZR. You have pretty frequent clouds in the Swiss Alps region and clear skies on the opposite site of the lake. You show me how METAR based WX draws that in MSFS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Hello, for ME ASFS is the winner,

because the change from one weather area to the next can be displayed more smoothly. Furthermore, I had stutters during weather changes in REX. I don't see any of this with AS.
second is i can use MSFS Weather depiction with Turb in AS.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

@cchiozza you got it wrong. Let me ask you something: In your flight from A to B did you use webcams in the sky to check if the reported weather is actualy drawn? <- this is a bit sarcastic.

Do you understand what weather presets are? E.g. you go in MSFS and pic a weather setting e.g. Clear Sky. Looking all around you you will see that preset. If you want to change it you will have to go again in the weather tab and take the storm preset....ergo...anything around you is going to be stormy.

This is exactly what todays WX generating APP (REX and AS) are doing automaticaly for you. They do not have just 6 presets but extremely many and they apply a preset that best matches the METAR were you are BUT IT DOES IT EVERYWHERE around you! If you are on an airport with clear skys and as I said earlyer 50 miles away there is another airport reporting inbound storms, you will initially see nothing on the horizont taking of from your clear sky airport. Getting closer to the "stormy condition" airport, a transition of weather themes will occure but it will change anything around you into that METAR preset.

So if you just fly from A to B you will probably enjoy your flight and see some nice WX around you. You like it, enjoy it!

MSFS uses a GLOBAL weather model. So basicaly they know every weather station (meteo blue) around the planet. They create a global "world wide" weather and in such a case you will probably see the storm clouds already in the distance. Because the model a global based weather, there are cases where the drawn WX differs (more or less) from the local METAR report. I currently want this GLOBAL representation instead the local representation.

Above explanation is a raw representation of the current state until MSFS opens up the API (if ever).

Just another example: I live in germany S near lake Constance. Near me is EDNY airport. Over the lake you will find the Swiss Alps (mountains) and a small aiport LSZR. You have pretty frequent clouds in the Swiss Alps region and clear skies on the opposite site of the lake. You show me how METAR based WX draws that in MSFS.

Understand your presets comments but that is not what I am talking about. MSFS weather metar may "use" it as you say but the depiction is marginal at best. For instance flying near a moving from with thunderstorms in it rarely show multi layer clouds or even thunderstorms for that matter. REX does very nicely. May that's has been the focus of my testing. I fly mainly in the US so this might be the disconnect. Ill will try your area for fun. But this while Mateo blue weather has never been what it was touted for sure. 

Chris Chiozza

19 hours ago, Alti said:

Hello, for ME ASFS is the winner,

because the change from one weather area to the next can be displayed more smoothly. Furthermore, I had stutters during weather changes in REX. I don't see any of this with AS.
second is i can use MSFS Weather depiction with Turb in AS.

Are there ANY multi layer clouds. All I have seen has been one level. Would love to hear if you have. That the reason why I did not purchase.

Chris Chiozza

On 5/3/2024 at 11:28 PM, GEKtheReaper said:

This is exactly what todays WX generating APP (REX and AS) are doing automaticaly for you. They do not have just 6 presets but extremely many and they apply a preset that best matches the METAR

The live weather provided by REX is not predetermined in any way, or preset-based. It's continually evolving based on real-time processes.

• Like 1

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

On 5/2/2024 at 4:13 PM, Chris555 said:

How is Performance with REX weather ? ( FPS ) 

Used to be very poor when weather was updating, but very good now.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 5/4/2024 at 7:28 AM, GEKtheReaper said:

They do not have just 6 presets but extremely many and they apply a preset that best matches the METAR were you are BUT IT DOES IT EVERYWHERE around you! If you are on an airport with clear skys and as I said earlyer 50 miles away there is another airport reporting inbound storms, you will initially see nothing on the horizont taking of from your clear sky airport. Getting closer to the "stormy condition" airport, a transition of weather themes will occure but it will change anything around you into that METAR preset.

Clearly a global weather model is more important to you. It is important to me too, but at the moment we can't have a local model AND varied and realistic clouds.

Either you see cumulus in the distance (which is a very poor representation of a front), or you get more realistic multi level clouds with a global weather model addon 

Both can be called realistic, but you choose the option best for you.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 5/3/2024 at 8:09 AM, motishow said:

absolutely rex is the winner

Active sky is a joke, don't wsaste your money

You are correct that the latest REX is very good.  Your opinion of ActiveSky is is very wrong.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:24 AM, motishow said:

And many people complained that Rex weather looked terrible. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 hours ago, timest said:

The live weather provided by REX is not predetermined in any way, or preset-based. It's continually evolving based on real-time processes.

Maybe you misread / misunderstood what I said. How do you change weather without MSFS opening up the API? Don't you read the METAR data along the way and apply the "scene" that is most accurate to the METAR data?

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech