Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Review #2 of Beyond ATC

Here's another flight with BATC.  This time in the Longitude from MSP to ORD.  The software performed MUCH better this time.  I expected this - with a structed set of "rules" (aka stars/sids etc) BATC is probably going to work a lot better vs my random GA IFR flight.

I'm guessing my FlightBeam MSP scenery threw off the program though - it issued me taxi instructions that made no sense on my journey to runway 17.  Anyway, my routing is KMSP RST1 RST ZZIPR FYTTE7 KORD at FL410.  I filed in simbrief for arriving 9C but BATC assigned 9L - which was fine.

One thing that I've noticed also - BATC doesn't really understand if you start on a ramp/FBO.  It always wants me to call for push and start.  In the USA it's very common to go from clearance delivery (having received your IFR clearance) and then immediately go to ground frequency, ready for taxi, while operating from an FBO ramp.  Ramps are almost always non movement areas - meaning you can do whatever you want with your aircraft without talking to ATC.  When I fly if I'm at a towered airport, I'll start taxiing towards to hold short line (of the taxiway not the runway), and call ground as I approach in hopes I can be issued taxi instructions.  BATC requires me to contact ground to push and or start every flight.  Annoying but not deal breaking or anything.

Once I got to runway 17 at MSP I was pleasantly surprised by the takeoff clearance "N221JS, minneapolis tower, RY17, cleared for takeoff, fly runway heading."  And that went fine and then my first pic here is after I've contacted MSP departure, they issue a climb to FL190 (not realistic as MSP departures go to 17k - I'm sure local logic isn't applied yet - hopefully someday!)

53705233112_9bc7b2755a_o.jpg2 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Heading SE leaving MSP behind - C700 climbs at around 4000 fpm (just like the turbine duke lol) - and they issue the climb to FL410 (so nice of mpls center to give me a climb all the way to my cruise altitude - perks of working there I suppose)

53706134086_84796ef97e_o.jpg3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

So here they tell me to expect the FYTTE7 runway 9L transition.  I guess this is needed because I flight planed 9C.

53706465249_754c944ce7_o.jpg5 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Then I change over to Chicago center and I get the descend via - pretty realistic here actually sounding great!

53705233057_805843f924_o.jpg6 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

It got a little odd here though.  I was told to leave the fix SOOLU heading 210, plan for the VISUAL approach 9L, then apch control gave me another turn to 205 hehe...  maybe I should have left SOOLU on a 205 chicago lol...

53705232992_69bfb72017_o.jpg7 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Eventually, the apch controller vectored me in a box pattern (to the south, to the west, then south, then told me to intercept 9L localizer.  Also not uncommon during a visual approach at a busy airport.  But with the local weather I wonder why BATC didn't just assign me the ILS 09L??  The live weather wasn't great but I was able to essentially "fly the ILS" and comply with the controller's descent instructions to 1,400... until breaking out and calling the field in sight

53706465159_8fc03c8bb0_o.jpg8 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Who put that there???

53706567755_193a0a9a20_o.jpg9 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Again, taxi here at ORD was a bit jacked up (haha), probably due to some issue with 3rd party scenery - I'm using FSDT in this case.  It told me to exit at the correct place. but then the taxi routing was via M hold short of 04L (fine), and then hold short and to cross the parallels (fine) but then it said taxi to gate via M, G, A.  Taxiway G does NOT connect to A.  There's a TT, G2 and B.  Probably a scenery issue.  But again, I hope BATC can handle addon airports - many of the people who might purchase this would probably be flying with payware scenery.  Oh one final note about parking at ORD....  BATC did not give me the option of going to the cargo ramp or FBO....  again.... no love for us GA flyers hehe.  So quite the stark contrast from my GA local IFR flight to this BORRRRING jet flight haha.

53706616575_58bc668465_o.jpgordroute by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Who put that there???

WeLoveVFR, I think its already been reported.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Who put that there???

Ahahaha 🤣

‘Thanks for the review and your insight Ryan!

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

n the USA it's very common to go from clearance delivery (having received your IFR clearance) and then immediately go to ground frequency, ready for taxi, while operating from an FBO ramp.  Ramps are almost always non movement areas - meaning you can do whatever you want with your aircraft without talking to ATC.

You have no idea how much this confused me when I did my first Vatsim flights at U.S. Airports. 

To make that even more complicated not all divisions simulate this. So you end up always having to ask first whether Ramp is controlled or uncontrolled.

Edited by Farlis

10 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

It always wants me to call for push and start. 

Hm, that's odd. During the beta the option was added to ask for 'push and start' or 'start alone' or 'taxi right away'. You might want to check the UI if those three options are there in the request list or not. Can't imagine they removed this for the EA. I often went from clearance straight to taxi so it did work...!

is it possible to set the sound to my headphones? Now the sound goes to the speakers. But did not find any option to change that... Any advice?

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

3 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

I have the option to just call for startup without push in BATC.

I have that but I don't need it in the US.  You can start your aircraft without permission on ramps.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

7 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

I have that but I don't need it in the US.  You can start your aircraft without permission on ramps.

So... just skip that and go straight to taxi after clerance? I did that all the time during beta (using button control, I have to add).

@ryanbatc You probably know this already but both FSHud and P2ATC do the weird taxi instructions thing.

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

2 hours ago, toby23 said:

@ryanbatc You probably know this already but both FSHud and P2ATC do the weird taxi instructions thing.

It must an issue with 3rd party addon compatibility then.. hmmm

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, ryanbatc said:

It must an issue with 3rd party addon compatibility then.. hmmm

This happens at default airports too. Do you use Black Square's Taxiway Signs by any chance?

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

My favourite from this mornings flight:

"Walker 2457 request taxi to parking 1"

"Negative, Walker 2457, ramp 1 is too small for your aircraft, would you like me to suggest a ramp?"

"Affirmative, Walker 2457"

"Walker 2457 Taxi to ramp 1 via .. .. .."

• Like 3

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

5 hours ago, toby23 said:

This happens at default airports too. Do you use Black Square's Taxiway Signs by any chance?

Nope.  But all of my tests with towered airports have been at payware airports.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |