Sign in to follow this  
hs118

SayIntentions ATC and GPT-4o announcement today

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So how would MS charge the customer then, by a subscription?

I can only speculate based on my 30 years working with MS but my bet would be that it would be included as part of a future upgrade/release. Beyond the ATC ( 🙂 see what i did there), MS would offer the interactive services SDK as a paid service to Azure clients....again, all speculation on my part based on MS past history.

Edited by hs118

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

It could be for free, if you purchase MSFS.  Microsoft owns like 49% of OpenAI. Most likely, the MSFS team would negotiate some deal with OpenAI for lower API costs. Actually, Microsoft is already using the ChatGPT engine for their products, such as Co-Pilot for Windows.  So there may already be a deal in place between Microsoft and OpenAI, and the MSFS team can just piggyback off the deal to access the ChatGPT API for either an extremely low cost, or maybe even for free, if the deal in place between Microsoft and OpenAI allows various Microsoft owned companies to use the ChatGPT API.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

3 hours ago, espent said:

I am surprised it is that high. That means the rest should cover Cloud (servers, databases, storage), Voice packs and also salaries and admin costs. 

That is pretty much how it is, except for salaries.The team consists of volunteers. But indeed, the generation of voices, and there are a lot, and the backend infrastructure consume the rest of the cost.

51 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

By absorbing the costs, as they own some of the biggest datacenters and are equally invested in AI. Just like when people thought they couldn't possibly stream satellite data without additional cost in form of a subscription. I'd argue the image data requires a lot more bandwidth.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

11 minutes ago, Sethos said:

By absorbing the costs, as they own some of the biggest datacenters and are equally invested in AI. Just like when people thought they couldn't possibly stream satellite data without additional cost in form of a subscription. I'd argue the image data requires a lot more bandwidth.

Streaming the image data is much cheaper than Ai. Serving data is a cheap commodity at this point. AI is expensive not just because the technology is proprietary but because it consumes large amounts of compute power and hence, electricity. Someone has to foot the electricity bill, and I'd be surprised if even Microsoft would be willing to eat the cost. I believe it could easily wipe out their entire profits on MSFS and then some. Yes, AI is that power hungry. So I'm not expecting non-subscription AI ATC to come to MSFS anytime soon. 

Another way to look at it: Microsoft has customers lining up to use their Azure AI services. AI is super hot right now and everyone wants in. You're running the business. What do you do? Sell your AI compute to enterprise customers for top dollar, or give it away to MSFS users for free?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, martinboehme said:

Streaming the image data is much cheaper than Ai. Serving data is a cheap commodity at this point. AI is expensive not just because the technology is proprietary but because it consumes large amounts of compute power and hence, electricity. Someone has to foot the electricity bill, and I'd be surprised if even Microsoft would be willing to eat the cost. I believe it could easily wipe out their entire profits on MSFS and then some. Yes, AI is that power hungry. So I'm not expecting non-subscription AI ATC to come to MSFS anytime soon. 

If AI is that expensive, then how is OpenAI able to allow almost anybody in the entire world to use ChatGPT for free? Not to mention that Co-Pilot is installed on every Windows 11 computer, and all the Windows 11 users are also using Co-Pilot for free.

(I honestly don't see how a single query in SayIntentions.AI for a single ATC response can be so much more expensive than a single query with ChatGPT for a free user)

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

4 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

AI will detect you're not doing anything in the cockpit as everything is automated already so will remove you, as pilot, from the loop. If you're lucky you'll be given responsibility for wheel chocks and pitot covers 👀😎

All I do in real life is sit and hit the cancel button every so often when the 787 throws out a “PILOT RESPONSE “ EICAS when it detects a period of inactivity.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

30 minutes ago, jon b said:

All I do in real life is sit and hit the cancel button every so often when the 787 throws out a “PILOT RESPONSE “ EICAS when it detects a period of inactivity.

Maybe you need one of these for an uninterrupted nap..sorry I mean "FCOM study period"?

Drinking bird 

• Like 1

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

I’ve been away for a while, but this looks pretty interesting. Could someone test out oceanic procedures and long haul? I’m curious to see how well it does with things like HF procedures, position reports, and contingency procedures.

Adding a native CPDLC to planes that already support it would also be amazing. 

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

Posted (edited)

From my own perspective and usage of MSFS (VFR, GA), there're too many uncertainties and :

- BeyondATC is in early access, and promising. My position: let's wait.

- SayIntention is way too much expensive for the value (it's my airclub monthly fees 😉) and for now is still subject to hallucinate like any LLM. I use these tech everyday and can't stand the inaccuracies and "I'm sorry" last reply. My position : let's wait.

- MSFS2024 : I can't imagine Microsoft won't embedded something AI in ATC. My status: let's wait.

No rush. There's plenty of other stuff to do with MSFS now.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio/uploads

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

If AI is that expensive, then how is OpenAI able to allow almost anybody in the entire world to use ChatGPT for free?

It's currently a money pit for them. I have no insight into their business model, but I assume the idea is to get users exposed to the technology and make them see the value of AI so they can convert them to paying users later. It's the classic tech spiel of "get users first, then worry about how to monetize the product later".

I can't see the same thing working in MSFS. If they introduce AI ATC for free, there will be an uproar if the try to make users pay for the service later on.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jon b said:

🤣🤣🤣

At least you admit it 😁

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

If AI is that expensive, then how is OpenAI able to allow almost anybody in the entire world to use ChatGPT for free? Not to mention that Co-Pilot is installed on every Windows 11 computer, and all the Windows 11 users are also using Co-Pilot for free.

Well....it's called a Loss Leader. Give something away for free or dirt cheap until people can't live without it then up the prices. Everyone from drug dealers to mega-corps have done it since...well forever!

• Upvote 1

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

38 minutes ago, jcomm said:

🤣🤣🤣

At least you admit it 😁

Well, it would be futile to do otherwise 😀

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.