Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Please Help Me with My Blurry Problem!

Guest RET_1935

I have a pretty high end machine,for now E6700DC Oc'd EVGA 680I MB, running Vista HP 32bit, 2x8800GTX's, 4gigs of ram which 2.5 is only being used because of the graphics card memory hogging the same address.Everything is running without any major hits except the blurries which seems to plague alot of people and I am hoping someone gan help me solve the issues that are ruining my experience.I have tried all sliders minimum and worked my way up slowly, I have defragged, have all current drivers, did the 4 gig ram tuning tweak, turned off User Account control and nothing seems to help.I currently run FSX, Acceleration Active Sky X, Active Ground X, Ground environment X, 3D lights and Zinertex Ultimate Night Experience.I have tried disabling each but they all work fine and have no impact on the problem so there must be something I need to tweak in the FSX .cfg file? I have not messed with it at all in an attempt to remedy the situation. Here's a few screen shots to show what I am facing.2007-12-10_19-25-23-87.jpgThis picture shows a clear "in focus" area right in front of the right wing and then you can see the blurries on the roadway above the fuselage just aft of the cabin. Frames locked at 25fpsClimboutofOmaha.jpgThis is a look of the mess I see out of the cockpit taking off from Omaha, NE KOMA Frames set to unlimitted2007-12-10_11-42-37-471.jpgThis is a shot of KOMA as seen from above I set the Level of detail radius to varius levels to see how far out things would be "clear" Each setting of the LOD increased range until on the max setting I could not tell where it ended. I guess min was about 5-8 miles medium about 12-15 and max I could not tell because I had to zoom out too far. No matter what setting I chose the blurries always reared their ugly self except for almost directly under my plane when flying as seen in the first screen shot.Any Takers? Thanks in advance!Robert

Hello Robert,There is a lot of confusion concerning this matter in the community and many people believe that they are getting blurried textures when in fact they are not.All textures in FS (and in many other games, I believe) use MIPMaps. These are smaller versions of the texture that are included along with the principal image, for example:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181799.jpgThe maximum resolution for FS textures is 1024 x 1024 pixels, and the image file also includes versions at 512 x 512 pixels, 256 x 256 pixels, etc.The purpose of these MIPMaps is so as to display smaller textures as the user moves away from the object (or the ground, in this case) as this is a more efficient use of resources than displaying the largest texture at all times and from all distances.So, when you are close to the ground, the highest resolution, 1024 x 1024 pixel image is displayed, and as you move away or higher, the lower MIPMaps are used.As you can see, of necessity the lower resolution images have less detail and are more "blurried".But, this is not the dreaded "Blurries" since it is by design. The Blurries are when lowest resolution images are "inappropriately" displayed. That is, instead of showing the correct resolution texture, the game shows one of the lowest because of some stressful situation where resources are scarce.Conclusion: none of your images show the "Blurries". All the ground textures show the correct level of MIPMaps for those distances.If you want to see the "Blurries", then please try slewing very fast for a few minutes and you will see how the ground will revert to the very lowest resolution textures - those are the "Blurries".Best regards.Luis

Robert,I looked long and hard at your photos and couldn't find a place I thought looked like the blurries. In fact, I thought it looked pretty good.Luis,Nice explanation. Thanks.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Robert,I agree with the others too. In your screens I don't see anything that looks like the dreaded blurries to me.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Also keep in mind that the square texture bitmap is only going to display exactly when the terrain is perfectly flat, and the ratio of lat to long is appropriate (I think that is designed to be about 40 degrees north and south). On sloping ground, or closer to the poles / equator the texture bitmap has to be stretched like a sheet of rubber.scott s..

No matter what I do texture loading on my 3.5GHz dual core with SP1/SP2 is inferior to texture loading on my 2.8Ghz single core using RTM, though upping the fiber frame a bit seems to help. I'm using the cfg tweaks below, and I've heard going as high as .49 on the fiber frame can lead to improvements, though my blurries get worse if I go that high. {DISPLAY}TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=45{MAIN} FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.40{BufferPools}PoolSize=10000000

>No matter what I do texture loading on my 3.5GHz dual core>with SP1/SP2 is inferior to texture loading on my 2.8Ghz>single core using RTM, though upping the fiber frame a bit>seems to help. >Using RTM -- that does not surprise me. If I were getting blurries with my dualie I would switch to SP1 at least.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

While I don't see the blurries I do notice that you don't have your anio. filtering on. Check it and make sure its on. I have to do it thru my video card setting to make it work.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Ya,When I looked at this, I said to myself "exactly where is it blurry?"That road that "looks blurry" is in fact the highest resolution road you are going to get.

Your shots look pretty good. Here's what I use,{DISPLAY}TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 (400 is what's recommended, I have heard of people using settings as high as 4000){MAIN} FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.55{BufferPools}PoolSize=110000000 (yes, 110000000. It translates into you using 110MB of your video card's memory as a kind of "scenery RAM" as I understand it. If you go too high, you can get wierd side effects like the wheels coming out of the top of the plane etc.)I rarely get any stutters (the ones I do get are tiny,) and I can fly the default 738 low & fast through London with the scenery keeping up reasonably well. I am very happy with this as it means I can run FSX with medium high sliders & 15% air traffic on a 2.0GHz (single core) machine with 2.5GB of RAM. I use SP1 and the BufferPools tweak is essential to my ability to use SP1 because if I don't, SP1 causes bad stutters even though it boosts my FPS. Go figure. I hope this helps.

Would it be possible to modify the mipmaps so that higher resolution images are loaded, I find too the FSX drops down to lower resolution too soon?

Guest sfgiants

Sorry. Even with the best machine as of December 11, 2007, blurries are still present in FSX when flying a 737 after 10 minutes or slewing.maybe FS11

Blurries have been present with slewing since the very first fs...I have brand new duo core e6750 @2.8 ghz and have experienced no blurries (non slewing)-with 30% ai traffic both ga and commercial, autos, and most sliders fairly high if not to the max. Also running on a 24" monitor at 1920x1200.8800gt 512 card, 4 megs ram, pk5 moboard,Vista ultimate.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

"Blurries have been present with slewing since the very first fs..."And hopefully done with in this version, not to be an issue on the next with our shiny new engine and such ...If you have the headroom (and you should), I'd run this in conjunction with FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION setting up around .43 or so.Under (DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX.0) (eg) add thisMipBias=6And if you want to stretch out the hi res terrain a bit further, you can change this:LOD_RADIUS=4.500000 to LOD_RADIUS=5.500000 (I've gone up to 6.0)Just remember that this last one will always get overwritten back to default if you make any changes within the settings control panel in fsx.We used to have alot more tweaking options withing the cfg to edit the extended terrain radius and such, but none of that works anymore with the changes made to FSX. I hope they bring back or add more parameters in the next version, so if you happen to be bush flying in the mountians and have lots of headroom - you can tweak to keep the terrain mesh detail and texture res higher at further distances.Regards'Garett