Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Default waterclass, any way to change it?

Hi guys. I have a question regarding waterclass, I think thats what its called that determines what water color types go where. I am really annoyed with the waterclass in and around the Rio area of Brasil. Its displayed with the light blue, tropic waters like that of St. Marteen or other Caribic areas. I have never been there, but I have seen loads of Rio pictures that depict much darker, deep blue colored water. Is there an easy way to change this without having any scenery design knowledge, or is this a much bigger project that I should wait until someone else tackles? Thanks for looking.Regards,Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest christian

Hi SeanWaterclass can only be changed via the scenery design route.Cheers,Christian

SeanChristian is correct, more than you may want to tackle. Here's something to think about. I'll be the first say that water colors in FSX may be off. I spent many years looking at photos of beaches in Hawaii. The sand was beautiful. The water is breath-taking. These are pro photos. I was able to go there once, and I'm here to tell you that the photos were not even close. Everything is way different, and better in real life. Seems to me that if FSX can't get the water color right, well, neither can alot of others.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Consider FEX. (Flight Enviroment X).

You need some scenery knowledge, but SBuilderX can easily do what you want.scott s..

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, I figured it would be a lot of work for a little area. Also I have FEX and thats fine but doesn't fix waterclass issues for this area. Water colors are not bad in most areas, but a little light for some areas like Rio and San Juan Puerto Rico. I did notice a landclass/waterclass editor in the library for FS9, but I think it said in the readme that it can be used in FSX as well, so I may take a closer look at that. I will also take a look into the SBuilderX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Changing water class, or land class for that matter, is absurdly easy.There are some specialized utilities in the Avsim library that make things quite simple even for the neophyte.For example, EZ-LandClass X by Russel Dirks is an Excel-based application that will change both land and water class.SBuilderX by Luis S