Sign in to follow this  
Guest thx1137

NEW FSX. 4 Boeing 737-800 X2 Aircraft

My experience with them goes back a couple of years, several aircraft, both fs9 and fsx and I am a most pleased customer.
So can you get the Ariane FSX 737-800 FMC to accept Gross Weight inputs?
When you compare the price with say that of PMDG MD11 or B747 they are in the same ballpark.
Ariane Boeing 737-800 X2, download version, with a grand total of six liveries -- (at today's $/GBP exchange rate) -- price $134 PMDG MD-11 or 747-400, download version, with more liveries than Imelda Marcos had shoes -- price $80"Same ballpark" -- or --"Field of Dreams"? :(

Petraeus

One thing that is interesting in this forum is the way people gang up to slam a producer of a product for our hobby - Ariane being one of the main targets here. Capt Sim is another one that gets slammed here. The next thing that gets a derogatory comment or two is anyone who may support them. Personally I think it is pretty cowardly when you can hide behind a keyboard and not have to face an individual. But, this seems to be the way society is these days. Bottom line is if you don't like something, vote with your wallet, don't buy it. However, it will be your loss.Today's add ons are incredibly complicated, take a long time to produce and take more that a little financial resources to produce. The add on aircraft (and scenery etc) are just fantastic. As someone who has made their living flying since the 70's, spent time in level c & d simulators for training(and occasionally fun!) I can tell you the visuals in msfs and quality of add on aircraft are superior to many "real world" simulators of not that many years ago. Having to spend $100, give or take, is peanuts for what you are getting. Some products cost more to produce, some where produced at a slightly earlier time (i.e. PMDG 747 - which is a great product, the same with Level D's 767) hence their costs may be a little less. Also, these days, with the way our currencies are fluctuating day to day the cost of something can change 10 - 20% practically overnight depending where you live and how your particular currency is doing.BUT.....bottom line is we all have a chance to experience something for very minimal cost that wasn't available 15, 10 or even 5 years ago for really, when you get down to it, a pretty reasonable cost. If you're going to complain over a few bucks that the product is not worth it I suggest you go buy some time in a flight simulator operated buy an airline. And, slamming a producer because his product isn't up to your "standards" isn't just childish or ignorant......it is just silly and makes the person posting look similar.I suggest that if you have a problem with a particular product or their support people you contact them and try to get things sorted out. We want them in business to produce more things for our hobby. We do not want them to go the way of the ACES team.dbw

I like these discussions. They help me decide whether to buy or ignore a product, so there is certainly nothing childish or ignorant about generating and contributing to these discussions. I personally don't care whether today's sim is a "bargain" compared to a real world simulator equivalent 10-15 years ago. Fact of the matter is that there are many more products one can spend on now that give more bang for the buck than the Ariane equivalent. By the same analogy, PCs 10-15 years ago were horribly expensive and have none of the compute horsepower that we can enjoy now, but I don't consider discussions about the pros and cons of today's models silly or ignorant just because they cost "peanuts" compared to, for example, the Apple Lisa many years ago. That's progress for you.

Guest 413X3

Oh come on dbw, you sound like a marketing person for their company. the simple fact is there are basic pieces to making a "quality" addon that pmdg, dreamfleet, level-d etc can make. where is ariane on this one? along the same lines as captain sim. great looking airplanes but full of bugs, and the more you dig deep into the systems the more you see they are just for show. on the other hand, pmdg is light years ahead of that. so to even have the nerve to claim that ariane is along the same lines as pmdg is laughable!!! there is no comparison! in fact I will say the 757 from captain sim is a more complete airplane than the ariane 737.

413X3.....Interesting how someone here who enjoys and speaks favorably of Ariane products is accused of being a marketing rep for them.Please advise what which flight sim add on producers you approve of that we may speak well of without being accused by yourself of being a marketing rep.Sincerely,dbw

Now, I'd certainly not say that the Ariane 737 is perfect, but it has a lot of nice features. I'm also curious to know how someone knows that the Ariane 737 is 'full of bugs' when they've previously mentioned not actually owning it. I know Ariane has its detractors, but I wouldn't make a judgement like that toward any developer if I'd not actually had hold of the product for myself. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Now, I'd certainly not say that the Ariane 737 is perfect, but it has a lot of nice features. I'm also curious to know how someone knows that the Ariane 737 is 'full of bugs' when they've previously mentioned not actually owning it. I know Ariane has its detractors, but I wouldn't make a judgement like that toward any developer if I'd not actually had hold of the product for myself. Al
The problem is that if people are considering buying an Ariane plane, then at $139 they want to be able to make a judgement before they had hold of the product, not after. There's no "try before you buy", or Flight 1 money-back guarantee. $139 is a lot of money to kiss goodbye to for something that might not do what it says on the tin.The web site looks superb and the pictures of their planes are absolutely stunning, but I'm old enough and ugly enough not to pay out my hard-earned money for marketeers' promises, and it's incredibly difficult to get behind the marketing. I researched the product hoping against hope that it would turn out to be good, because I wanted to to be able to fly a fully-functional 737NG. The trouble is that there are no substantial reviews (AVSIM has never done an Ariane review, for example), and their forum is restricted to owners of the product. So the two most productive ways of finding out about the software are denied to prospective buyers. So one is left with individual testimonies; and human nature does not necessarily confess to making a bad purchase, especially when it's a very expensive one.Fortunately for me, a lot of Googling did turn up this 'dead VNAV problem'. From the lack of response in this thread, it seems that no-one has got round it. This is not some trivial fault like a switch not sounding "click" - this is the most demanding (and useful, especially for fuel economy) thing that an FMC can do. Personally, I can live without VNAV in what is for me an otherwise good default Microsoft CRJ700. But no VNAV in a $139 airplane that claims, on the front page of Ariane's website, to have "a full-featured FMS for professional operators"? The phrase "economical with the truth" doesn't begin to describe that.

Petraeus

Has anyone tried it? I know it's expensive, but I need a short haul boeing aircraft for FSX, and PMDGs offering won't be out for years. The -800 is really calling my name... I never bought the past offerings and have heard the horror stories but I would like to hear someones opinion on the product itself.
I have purchased Ariane Boeing 737s for two years now. I own every one that they make in FS9 and FSX. I love these 737s and it seems no matter what else I buy ( and I also own Level D 763, PMDG 744, MD11 for FSX and FS9, PMDG 737NG for FS9, Maddog FSX and FS9, Super80Pro FSX, Super80 FS9, Wilco Airbus 1&2, PIC737 FS9 and FSX, PSS/Justflight Airbus and Boeings, FeelThere Fokker 100 & 70, CS 757, CS 727 for FS9 and FSX, Maddog, Majestic Dash8, F1 ATR72-500 and anything else that I can get my hands on), I always come back to flying my Ariane Boeings. They are the most enjoyable for me of all that is available today. Ariane has simply done a great job of simulating the 737NG.I especially like the new Ariane X2 series. They have made some great improvements with this series for FSX. I believe some of the improvements are a result of the greater latitude of development options that are allowed with FSX, but the aircraft just has the "feel" of what I believe the real 737 should have.I have most of the McPhat liveries and they look great from any angle.Although they autoland just fine, I love doing manual landings or just cutting off the autopilot at 500 ft and taking over manually. The aircraft switches very smoothly from auto to manual and controls so realistically that you can manually bring it in for a real "grease job" landing.It is very stable with both the aircraft and FMS. It also has great FPS for as much as it simulates of the real 737.They are constantly working to improve the X2 and from what I am understanding, they will be releasing updates that will simulate all of the test proceedures, a/c and pressurizations system, etc.Ariane has always provided me with excellent support. There support system is one-on-one and they work with you until the problems are solved.Ariane is now working on a Nav Data Manager that will basically be a super tool for their aircraft. It is something that should be released soon, from what I understand. It will bring Ariane users the most complete FMS available on any simulation with the ability to download AIRAC updates or build your own SIDs and STARs. It will also give the ability to share nav data with other users.I also believe it is important, with Microsoft dropping Flight Simulator, for us as flight sim enthusiast to aggressively support the developers that are willing to go out on a limb to build accurate and complex airline simulations for FS9 and FSX.There is really very, very few developers that I have found that give poor support. Usually you can look at their forums and see that the last answer to a support concern was back in 1997.Ariane has an active forum for their users. They quickly answer support concerns by email and have helped me out a lot, especially when I first started buying FS9 products. They're the ones that showed me that I had too much garbage running in the background of my computer that was interfering with my flight sim. They showed me how to it clean up.Understand that, like all developers, Ariane is going to respond to the tone of a support request. These simmers that claim that they were treated rudely don't admit that they were rude when they contacted Ariane support. Ariane support was just responding to the arrogants and rudeness of the email that they received.Ariane has never been rude with me. They have always been very polite and helpful.The first time that I contacted Ariane support, I was angry because I couldn't get the FS9 sim to work. I had just come from reading a bunch of smut about Ariane on these forums and when I contacted them, I took for granted that I wouldn't get any support and I was rude from the start and frustrated because I assumed that I had just lost my money.That couldn't have been further from the truth. Ariane simply asked me to be civil with them and to give them a chance to help. They stayed with me one-on-one through the email support for about two weeks until we got the problems resolved and the sim working.I love flight simulation and especially with the large airline sims. It is my addiction (obviously). I cannot see what purpose throwing smut and trying to blackball one of our great (and one of my favorite) developers could possible serve for anyone who is really serious about airline flight simulation.Serious simmers are willing to spend money on their hobby the same way that serious golfers go for the best set of clubs.The cheap and free stuff is for those with a luke warm passion for the hobby. If you are a serious golfer, you don't go to the thrift store of a yard sale for your set of golf clubs. You go to the pro shop and buy the best you can afford, because that is what is going to bring the enjoyment to your game.By the time you buy the PMDG MD11 for FSX and FS9, you have well over $100 tied up. Check out Majestic's Dash8 pro series. I don't think you would consider it cheap. Do you think Airsimmer will be selling their Airbus A320 cheap? Try about $90 for the base package for size. That has just been announced and I'll be ready and looking forward for its release for FS9, even though I don't use FS9 too much now.I appeal here only to the "serious" airline simmers, (because the "luke-warms" don't care who they damage). Why whittle down your choices? Especially being in a position when Microsoft has abandoned flight simulation and the sim community. Do you think there is going to be very many new developers entering the arena of FSX or FS9 development? What is the purpose of spreading empty rumors and gossip about one of the best developers of Boeing 737s in our community and trying to destroy them?I look forward to any product that is released by Ariane Designs. I love their people, their work and their service and I have for the last two years. I don't work for them (there is nothing worth while that I could really do for them), but I wish I did. It would be fun.They focus only on the Boeing 737 (which is a beautiful aircraft) and continue to improve and raise the bar with their product.Bob

Fortunately for me, a lot of Googling did turn up this 'dead VNAV problem'. From the lack of response in this thread, it seems that no-one has got round it.
That is because very few read the manuals. I fly the Ariane X2 using VNAV all of the time with both climb and decent. Ariane is working on a new FMS that will allow modifications of the VNAV, but the FMS now figures optimal VNAV path and speed and the Ariane X2 737-800 and 900 will follow it perfectly.I don't take the word of people who don't even own the sim. If I can find out about an airline sim, and it looks interesting, I'll get it. Sure I have a few that are not even loaded on my computer because they stink so bad, but Ariane's is certainly not one of them. Everything that Ariane makes is active on my computer and after I updated my computer, they re-activated everything within two weeks (it would have been one week if I sent the requests quicker) and didn't charge me a thing. I say that because many like to feed the rumor that Ariane charges for re-activation. That is simply not true.Like it is said up above. No airline sim is perfect. One developer chooses to simulate things that another doesn't feel is important. Some developers give a lot of importance on FPS and how smooth their sim will operate on the average computer setup, thus they are a little more picky about what they simulate.Ariane puts a system in their sim when it is developed to a point that it don't bog down the operation of the aircraft.PMDG has a great 744, but many computers can't even run it. It is an system hog and requires the best computers to be able to fly it smoothly. They did better with the MD11, but many people complain that (of all things) there are no window reflections. I would much rather have a smooth sim than window reflections, but go figure...

Ive had my eye on this one for a while. I have one question, Does it have flexing wings? Ever since seeing it in the PMDG 744 & MD11 I found it a feature thats hard to live without.Rob

Guest 413X3
That is because very few read the manuals. I fly the Ariane X2 using VNAV all of the time with both climb and decent. Ariane is working on a new FMS that will allow modifications of the VNAV, but the FMS now figures optimal VNAV path and speed and the Ariane X2 737-800 and 900 will follow it perfectly.I don't take the word of people who don't even own the sim. If I can find out about an airline sim, and it looks interesting, I'll get it. Sure I have a few that are not even loaded on my computer because they stink so bad, but Ariane's is certainly not one of them. Everything that Ariane makes is active on my computer and after I updated my computer, they re-activated everything within two weeks (it would have been one week if I sent the requests quicker) and didn't charge me a thing. I say that because many like to feed the rumor that Ariane charges for re-activation. That is simply not true.Like it is said up above. No airline sim is perfect. One developer chooses to simulate things that another doesn't feel is important. Some developers give a lot of importance on FPS and how smooth their sim will operate on the average computer setup, thus they are a little more picky about what they simulate.Ariane puts a system in their sim when it is developed to a point that it don't bog down the operation of the aircraft.PMDG has a great 744, but many computers can't even run it. It is an system hog and requires the best computers to be able to fly it smoothly. They did better with the MD11, but many people complain that (of all things) there are no window reflections. I would much rather have a smooth sim than window reflections, but go figure...
I have heard this "nobody reads the manuals" stuff before, and I have noticed that most of the time that is just an excuse to cover up bugs. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. My main issue with them is a lack of customer service. if you are selling me a $138 usd product, you should at least be nice about customer support. Carenado went out of their way to help me when my FSX update patch wasn't working. Would Ariane do the same? I am seriously considering purchasing this, and might do it to see if they are for real. I know the boeing fmc's very well, but the biggest issue here by far is the lack of sid/stars updates. can you even get a general list of them in the fmc to configure? i have no issues punching in the plan myself, don't need to import

Guest 413X3

also they talk about all these numerous liveries, but I only see a few mentioned. Are there any more available somewhere for free?

Signmanbob,I agree 100% with your comments about the very good quality of Ariane products and their support. My experience with Ariane has always been excellent. In fact, before I purchased my first 737 from them I exchanged several emails with their support staff with questions about their products.....all of which were answered with the utmost courtesy and in detail. Any after sales communication with support has been excellent.Their products are very good. The flight models, flight decks, systems are a superb replication of the aircraft. One of the reason I can say this is that while I have been earning my living as a pilot since the 1970's I have never flown the 737( I now fly in forest fire suppression). However, a former f/o from the days when I flew the regionals is now a 737 capt with a major airline and occasionally he has got me into their 737-700 level D sim and flying it and understanding it is a piece of cake after what I have learned from the Ariane 737.....and it is a lot of fun! One thing you have to do to get the full enjoyment and benefit of this product is to read the manuals in depth. Study is required. Simple as that. No substitute. If you do not understand something go to their forums and ask.If you want the closest experience of flying a 737 on your home computer Ariane is the way to go. dbw

I have heard this "nobody reads the manuals" stuff before, and I have noticed that most of the time that is just an excuse to cover up bugs. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. My main issue with them is a lack of customer service. if you are selling me a $138 usd product, you should at least be nice about customer support. Carenado went out of their way to help me when my FSX update patch wasn't working. Would Ariane do the same? I am seriously considering purchasing this, and might do it to see if they are for real. I know the boeing fmc's very well, but the biggest issue here by far is the lack of sid/stars updates. can you even get a general list of them in the fmc to configure? i have no issues punching in the plan myself, don't need to import
I didn't say "nobody reads the manuals". I'm saying the people who don't know how to use VNAV with Ariane, PMDG, LevelD, or anything else, don't know how to use it because they didn't read the manual. This has nothing to do with covering up bugs.If you read support forums for PMDG, Level D, Flight 1 or any other sim, you would realize that every sim has bugs. This is not the real plane we are flying. This is as accurate re-creation of the real plane as can possibly be made to fly within the confines of MSFS and the endless myriad of home computer configurations and addons.As a developer discovers ways around limitations of MSFS, they will release patches or make new versions that will get rid of bugs. As people post in support forums, developers will see things that they might have missed when creating the aircraft and release patches, updates or new versions of the aircraft. As people with new and different computer setups, addons, etc, post their findings and needs in support forums, developers will release patches, updates or new versions of the aircraft to solve the problems. Each time the aircraft sim is improved, but still has bugs. It goes on and on and goes with the territory.If the changes are minor, the patches are usually free. If they require major updates or versions, there will probably be a charge because developers have to make a profit in order to remain in business.Ariane had thousands of dollars invested in the FSX version upgrade from X1 to X2. If they gave it away free, it would have been the last thing they ever did.If you purchase Ariane's product and have problems, post in the forum. If they can't help you, then send an email for personal support, but be polite. They are human and will respond to polite interaction much better. This is my first hand and personal experience.
My main issue with them is a lack of customer service.
Well, if that's the main issue, then there is no issue at all, because Ariane's service and support is up to standard with any other sim product that I have and better than many. This is my first hand experience of the last two years of consistently good service from Ariane. This is not me repeating what someone else that don't have the product or has an old or outdated version told me.I absolutely agree with you about Carenado. That is an excellent company and I have almost all of their planes. I just got their new Piper Arrow for FSX. Very nice little plane! I highly recommend anything that Carenado releases. Great company with great support and always polite.See, I can like Carenado and still like Ariane. There is no reason to denounce any of them. :(

There is no reason to denounce any of them.
It would appear from this thread that if you do not own a respective companies product there is great reason to denounce them.signmanbob and dbw1 thank you for taking the time to write the detailed posts regarding your thoughts on Ariane and their aircraft. I enjoy aircraft that are well simulated and am willing to pay for what I receive. I'm sick and tired of hearing "it's too expensive" (so I'll bash the manufacturer instead) excuse. It's like anything else in this world, you get what you pay for. You've now perked my interest in Ariane's aircraft.