Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Just a Whinge - Developers and Stuff

Featured Replies

oops my bad for thinking you actually might have been somewhat interested in debugging the issue in addition to pure 100% pointless rant.

But here's one last whack before you send it to the glue factory: boot into a live usb distro (e.g. latest ubuntu or endeavourOS) and try it there. And if it still fails there, start the sim in gdb and check the stack trace after it freezes. Where does it fail?

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

  • Replies 34
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • MarStrMind
    MarStrMind

    As someone who is using Fedora Linux for quite some time, I can not confirm this to be the case. X-Plane 12 runs perfectly well on my system and its Radeon RX 7900 XT. X-Plane has a native Linux binar

  • mSparks
    mSparks

    Hmmm, we've been on 32GB of ram as a minimum for plugins to function well for a while (crica 2018). XP12 also bumped up the VRAM requirements. I can absolutely recommend while simultaneously accepting

  • blingthinger
    blingthinger

    You're all over place here. First it's ram, now it's cpu. I'm not convinced that this is the dev's issue.

  • Author
3 hours ago, blingthinger said:

oops my bad for thinking you actually might have been somewhat interested in debugging the issue in addition to pure 100% pointless rant.

But here's one last whack before you send it to the glue factory: boot into a live usb distro (e.g. latest ubuntu or endeavourOS) and try it there. And if it still fails there, start the sim in gdb and check the stack trace after it freezes. Where does it fail?

Ok and thanks - always interested just harding getting past the crowd at the bar sometimes.All tips and views appreciate.

Last time I've installed Ubuntu, about a decade ago, the package manager offered 3 nvidia drivers to install. You had to google which one as the other two were broken... On my 5 year old system I have 32GB Ram, which is probably the minimum. Never had problems on Ubuntu.-

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2026 at 11:55 PM, mSparks said:

Hmmm, we've been on 32GB of ram as a minimum for plugins to function well for a while (crica 2018). XP12 also bumped up the VRAM requirements.

I have a 4090 so happy with the VRAM, BUT my 32Gb Ram has become 16Gb as a ram stick developed a fault and crashes the PC - no way I can afford even a 16Gb stick at current prices 😭

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz GPU GEFORCE RTX 4090
Monitor AOC AGON AG352UCG UltraWide G-Sync @ 3440x1440
Internal Storage 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD 
External Storage Three 4Tb HDs

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Well I have concluded I have maybe some memory lag in general with the sim but nothing that is a problem. So my 16GB RAM is coping ok and so is the NVIDIA 2070 Super at 8GB.

I can get the sim to load in less than 45secs generally about 35 secs.

Once stabilised that is time for textures addons etc to load if selecting a flight - maybe about 1.5 mins max then I see nothing less than 45FPS - regularly 60FPS with all my graphic sliders for everything set on max and no sim system warnings about lack of memory.

That may suggest maybe some more RAM would speed things up on loading but that is all I would get. I get no stutters or freezing and can run any model I like from Felix to Tolis and even a said developers models which should have failed all load and run correctly.

FWIW it is a Linux box now - seems good to me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.