Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Branaschky

Rudder usage

Hi all,

just a quick question for the RW pilots out there:

When hand-flying our beloved NG, are you supposed to work the rudder pedals or let the yaw damper handle it all? I wasn't able to find the answer in the manuals, but maybe I'm just being blind...

Thanks!

Oli

I believe you should only use the rudder manually during crosswind approaches, engine failures, and other specific events. Most people do not manually adjust the rudder during normal turns.

Rudder usage is dependent on the pilot and weather conditions. While turning the aircraft, one should apply rudder in the direction of the turn slightly so that the aircraft doesn't slip.

As for the purpose of the yaw damper, it is like this:

Yaw damper systems compensate for periodic yaw oscillations, commonly known as "dutch roll." If the aircraft is displaced in yaw from streamlined flight, it will turn about its vertical axis. This causes the one of the wings to expose to a slightly faster airspeed than the other, giving more lift to the "faster" wing. The retreating wing on the other hand "slows down" and thus losing lift. This causes, in addition to the yaw, a slight roll moment about the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. As the situation progresses whilst not corrected, enough of the vertical stabilizer (opposite side of the "faster" wing) is exposed to the wind to stop the yaw, and return the aircraft to neutral. As the aircraft returns to straight and level flight, inertia will cause the aircraft to overshoot and yaw to the other direction. The process then continues to the other side. This results in an periodic oscillations in the yawing motion of the aircraft liken to a ship that is bobbing up and down on sea waves albeit a different axis. Hence yaw dampers help to "dampen" out the yawing oscillations similar to the effect of adding dampers coupling with springs on suspensions of cars giving a smoother ride.

-Jiaqing LEW

'There's no reason to not like flying'

Rudder usage is dependent on the pilot and weather conditions. While turning the aircraft, one should apply rudder in the direction of the turn slightly so that the aircraft doesn't slip.

I believe this applies more to smaller aircraft, but you could be correct. I currently haven't found anything in the FCTM that confirms or denies this. I never use the rudder for coordination during turns with the B747 during normal flight.

The yaw damper works great for normal turns. Like the post above mentioned, crosswind landings, engine failures, and steep turns (only done in initial and recurrent training in the sim) will require rudder use. Most jets are feet flat on the floor when flying. In fact by trying to use them you have a good chance of inducing Dutch roll. Not saying you will but its possible.

We use the rudder on TO but as soon as the main gear lifts off I let go of the pressure and just rest my feet on the pedals.

The only inflight situation I would use the rudder would be in case of engine failure.

And the of course during the landing. You can either decrab on flare og land with the crab angle and then get on track after touchdown. In both cases you use the rudder.

In all other situations (during normal flight) the yaw damper is doing the job.

The yaw damper does't account for adverse aileron yaw, for which you'd need to use the rudder... but then adverse aileron yaw doesn't seem to be a factor in FSX anyway!

Hello

I think that the rudder may be used by pilots in manual flight, especially at lower speeds where turbulence or shear effects occur or engine out as Kristian points out. American Airlines flight 587 crashed shortly after takeoff in November 2011 due to overuse of the rudder by the first officer to counter wake turbulence. I guess this means pilots keep their feet on the rudders for safety (if they don't overdo it).

Andrew

Rudder is used for Engine Out, Crosswind TOLs and maybe unusual attitude recovery.

Forget about your Cessna and Piper days.

Matt Cee

Okay, thank you all. Good to see all those things I've been "accidentally" doing right...

Forget about your Cessna and Piper days.

Matt, actually it was Cessna and Mooney days ;-)

Oliver Branaschky

American Airlines flight 587 crashed shortly after takeoff in November 2011 due to overuse of the rudder by the first officer to counter wake turbulence. I guess this means pilots keep their feet on the rudders for safety

That incident occurred in 2001. Due to that incident, I believe such a practice involving wake turbulence is no longer recommended. During automated flight, there would be no need to rest one's feet on the pedals (doing so might actually create a risk of accidental flight disruption). During manual flight, however, sitting properly within easy reach of the flight controls is probably a good idea.

i am curious, i don't switch the yaw damper on, willi be able to notice any difference?

Longer planes are "vomit comets'" in the back without them if you get in to any turbulence.

Matt Cee

The yaw damper does't account for adverse aileron yaw, for which you'd need to use the rudder... but then adverse aileron yaw doesn't seem to be a factor in FSX anyway!

Adverse yaw should never be apparent in a 737. The ailerons are designed to prevent it with asymmetric deflection and when using larger wheel inputs at the beginning of a turn, roll spoilers will provide plenty of drag on the down going wing.

ki9cAAb.jpg