Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

How do to a full autoland

1/ Step up VNAV to last STAR waypoint and descend

2/ At last waypoint arm approach in FMS

3/ When approach is activated click APP to intercept the ILS.

I dont think this is correct as its not working for me as the plane is not lining up with the runway. What are the correct steps please?

How to do a full autoland?

No turbo-props have an autoland capability.

Your individual bullet points seem to be mixing up the VNAV APPR capabilities and standard APPR (LOC & GS) usage.  

The main ommision I can see to your APPR attempt is that you haven't tuned in the ILS frequency, in the above 3 steps....  so I'd start with that.

The main ommision I can see to your APPR attempt is that you haven't tuned in the ILS frequency, in the above 3 steps.... so I'd start with that.

@@@@ is this the dash 8? dont have the plane but doesn't it need the ils CRS dialled in too?

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

The ILS course does not *need* to be pointing in the right direction for the approach mode to operate, but it is extremely poor of you if you don't.

If I'm using the autopilot in LNAV to intercept, I ensure that the heading bug is sync'd (that is to say, set to the heading I am currently flying - always a good thing to do anyway), press HDG, check the ILS is tuned, then I set the NAV MODE to NAV1, ensure the inbound course is set, ident the ILS, then arm APP mode. I then monitor for correct intercept of the LOC and GS.

Best regards,

Robin.

Hi just flown the 2nd tutorial, i got a CAT2 fail. I followed:

On the AFCS panel, push HDG and switch our NAV SOURCE to blue needles, to bring up the ILS display. Arm the APPR mode. Since we set the final approach course early on during the briefing, the blue needles conveniently display aligned with the extended centerline.

awf, on 14 May 2013 - 9:28 PM, said:

At which altitude? Remember the majestic dash doesn't have autoland no autothrust capabilities

(Cat II certified)

See also link http://majesticsoftware.com/mjc8q400/support.html

it was under 1000ft. I had captured the GS but was at an angle to the runway. The GS then disappears. I pull the throttles back as advised by the tutorial.

it was under 1000ft. I had captured the GS but was at an angle to the runway. The GS then disappears. I pull the throttles back as advised by the tutorial.

What was the indication on the PFD, GS* or pitch hold or something else and your DA or MA setting?

André

Make sure both nav radios are tuned to the ILS frequency. Whilst Cat.II primarily refers to minima for approach, Cat.II approach mode uses two coupled autopilots. You should see the annunciation APP DUAL on the PFD when the autopilot is in coupled approach mode.

Note that you need to be above 1500 ft RA for this mode otherwise you get CAT II FAIL.

Best regards,

Robin.

Ok, I'm almost embarrassed to ask since I haven't been flying and reading anything else but Majestic's Q400, but can a real Dash Q400 be equipped to even do an autoland?

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Ok, I'm almost embarrassed to ask since I haven't been flying and reading anything else but Majestic's Q400, but can a real Dash Q400 be equipped to even do an autoland?

Cheers,

Pete

No.

As per Post #2, no turbo-prop aircraft can be certified for an autoland capability, due to power responses being ineffective (too slow) to safely manage speed control, which is a core aspect of autolanding capability.

Jet aircraft are the only aircraft that possess autolanding capability, due to the constituent autothrottle / autothrust systems meeting the requirement for responsive automated speed control.

So when its coming into land, should to autopilot disconnect automatically?

So when its coming into land, should to autopilot disconnect automatically?

No, the pilot flying will always need to manually disconnect the Autopilot in this aircraft, and this must be done at any point prior to reaching the "minimums" decision for landing.

Are you saying that your AP is automatically disconnecting while in approach? ...... that shouldn't be happening.

Guest BeaverDriver

No.

As per Post #2, no turbo-prop aircraft can be certified for an autoland capability, due to power responses being ineffective (too slow) to safely manage speed control, which is a core aspect of autolanding capability.

Jet aircraft are the only aircraft that possess autolanding capability, due to the constituent autothrottle / autothrust systems meeting the requirement for responsive automated speed control.

Sorry, but you have it backwards. Anything with a prop attached to it has far faster response time (power-wise) than a pure jet. The lack of an autoland system is due to the fact that you have both power and prop levers that need to be moved, and with many possible combinations of Torque and RPM it gets very hard to program. With jets you have only power (thrust) levers to manage and is a far simpler (i.e. more foolproof) process.

BeaverDriver, on 16 May 2013 - 2:29 PM, said:

Sorry, but you have it backwards. Anything with a prop attached to it has far faster response time (power-wise) than a pure jet. The lack of an autoland system is due to the fact that you have both power and prop levers that need to be moved, and with many possible combinations of Torque and RPM it gets very hard to program. With jets you have only power (thrust) levers to manage and is a far simpler (i.e. more foolproof) process.

Are you serious?

You are seriously suggesting that spool up times on turbo-prop engines are faster than in turbo-fan (jet) engines?

Sorry, but you are miles off.

Both turbo-prop and turbo-jet engines use turbines at their core; the turbo-prop suffers power lag due to the drag caused from it needing to spin two Xkg sets of propellers.... conversely a turbo-fan engine is turning a N2 fan, at a fraction of the weight and drag.

I love your nice little theory about it all being to do with prop levers (condition levers);   FADEC, Governers and Rating systems have been effectively mangaging automated RPM levels in propeller systems for decades.

I'm always up for being challenged or corrected, but it's clear you know very very little about aircraft propulsion, to suggest that a TP engine spools up and delivers power faster than a TF engine.

This thread is about the MJC Q400, rather than a game of ego tennis, so I'd suggest we leave and accept our differences on this.