Sign in to follow this  
ark

Replacing Lear35A Mouse Clicks with Keys or Buttons

I have a set of 18 Lua scripts that allow some Flysimware Lear35A functions to be controlled with keyboard keys or controller buttons instead of the mouse, which at times can be inconvenient to use while flying. Use of the scripts require a registered (paid) copy of Pete Dowson’s FSUIPC4 program through which user selected keys or buttons are assigned to the different scripts, and thus to the associated Lear35 functions.

There are 12 Lear35A autopilot scripts – one for each of the Lear35 autopilot buttons except for the ENG (On/Off) button, which can be controlled by the FSX standard autopilot On/Off Z key. Any subset of the AP scripts can be used. So for example,  if you tend to only use 7 or 8 of the AP functions most of the time, you can assign keys or buttons to those functions and use mouse clicks for the others, thus 'conserving' keyboard keys.  Actually, even the AP buttons assigned to scripts will still respond to mouse clicks.

There are six additional general scripts for controlling the Lear35A taxi/landing lights, recognition lights, primary yaw damper, gear warning horn, engine thrust reversers, and steering mode. In general, each push of a key or button toggles the assigned function on or off, except the landing light function which is an off-taxi lights-landing lights 3-way toggle. As for the AP scripts, use of these scripts does not preclude using the mouse ‘as normal’ for the same functions.

If anyone is interested in using some of these scripts, PM me an email address and I’ll be glad to send you a zip file with all the scripts and a short install ReadMe file that lists the scripts and briefly outlines how to use FSUIPC4 to assign keys or buttons to them.

Please note I am not an experienced computer programmer, and use of these freeware scripts is at your own risk.  I can say, however, that there have not been any significant issues encountered during the development of the scripts. The main challenge has been determining what the code needed to do, not the coding itself, and these scripts are small and ‘straight forward’. A friend and I have been flying with different combinations of the scripts without encountering any problems, and have found use of the scripts can significantly enhance the Lear35A single pilot experience. However, keys/buttons vs mouse clicks is a personal preference thing – to each his own.

Thx,

Al

I added a script that allows controlling the stopwatch (timer) on the L35 panel with a single key or button. Makes it a more convenient for timing instrument approaches or holding patterns.

Al

Hello Al

I am also more Buttons rather than mouse click.

I send you my Email adress via PM and thank you for sharing your LUA scripts

Cheers

Pascal

si.php?id=1

I send you my Email adress via PM and thank you for sharing your LUA scripts

Pascal,

You are most welcome. The L35 scripts have been sent.

You may also be interested in another set of Lua Scripts called NpC v2.21 ( Numpad Control), found here  http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=npc&CatID=root&Go=Search 

which allow you to use the keyboard number pad instead of mouse clicks to set the heading bug, Nav, Com and ADF radio frequencies, altitude, VS, courses, AT speed in Kts or Mach, etc., for many aircraft. With the L35 you can set heading, courses, altitude and radio frequencies.

Al

Hello Al

Thank you for your LUA files ;-))

I am using FSX and I use Saitek Multi panel and Saitek switch panel that I intent to re-program thanks to LUA action via Linda software (LINDA - Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning) 

I will have a look on the Numpad Control, thanks also for this one

Many many thanks again
Pascal

si.php?id=1

Hello AL

All autopilot functions work as expected thanks to your files :smile:

Thanks a lot

Pascal

si.php?id=1

Hello AL

All autopilot functions work as expected thanks to your files :smile:

Thanks a lot

Pascal

Pascal,

Thanks for letting me know the scripts work for you -- I'm glad to be of help.

Happy flying,

Al

Thank you also for your assistance recently. The scripts I am using really help to improve the interaction with the L35A. Great fun to fly and more so with your scripts :)

Andrew

Below is an updated list of the L35 functions that can be activated with keys or controller buttons using Lua scripts. This list keeps growing thanks in part to requests I have received from other L35 users.

As a reminder, these scripts require a registered (payware) copy of FSUIPC (which is a very useful program) by Pete Dowson. The Lua scripts are freeware, just PM me an email address if you are interested and I will send them to you.

Thx,

Al

Lear35A Autopilot Scripts   (Note: The FSX standard Z key control toggles the autopilot on and off, so no script is needed for that.)

L35AP_ALTHLD_Btn    – Altitude Hold button toggle

L35AP_ALTSEL_Btn     - Altitude Select button toggle

L35AP_VS_Btn          – Vertical Speed button toggle

L35AP_SPD_Btn        – Speed button toggle

L35AP_GS_Btn         – Glide Slope button toggle

L35AP_HDG_Btn      – Heading Hold button toggle

L35AP_NAV_Btn      – Nav button toggle

L35AP_LVL_Btn       -Level button toggle

L35AP_BC_Btn         – Backcourse button toggle

L35AP_H_BNK_Btn – Half Bank button toggle

L35AP_TST_Btn       –AP Lights Test button toggle

L35AP_SFT_Btn       – AP Soft button toggle (this function is difficult to test and the script has not been tested in flight. The SFT button does light up and move as expected, however, and should work as expected.)

Lear35A General Scripts

Lear35Land_Lts      - Taxi and Landing lights 3-way switch toggle

Lear35Rec_Lts       -- Recognition lights switch toggle

Lear35GearHorn     – Gear warning horn off switch

Lear35Reversers     – Arm Reversers switch toggle

Lear35SteerLock     –Steering modes Toggle

Lear35YawDamper – Primary Yaw damper powered and on toggle

Lear35StopWatch – Panel Stopwatch 3-way toggle

Lear35SpoilerSw -   Toggles Spoilers on and off

Lear35Go_Around – Pushes (activates) Ground Around button on left throttle

Lear35Radio_Alt – Toggles radio Altimeters on and off

L35CabinAltHorn – Silences cabin altitude warning horn

L35HdgBugSync -   Syncs (aligns) HSI heading bug with current a/c heading

• Upvote 3

Hi Al,

I wouldn't be enjoying this plane half as much without your fine work... Much appreciated - sir !

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Along the lines of the L35 scripts, I have another set of freeware Lua scripts, called NpC, that may be of interest to L35 users. NpC stands for  N umpad Control. Among a few other things, NpC lets you set Com, Nav and ADF radio frequencies, Transponder codes, VOR OBS settings, Auto-throttle airspeed, and Autopilot altitude, vertical speed, course and heading values in FSX using the keyboard number-pad instead of mouse click spots. A slightly earlier version of NpC, along with a introductory video by my good friend Dan who wrote the NpC manual, is available here  http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=npc&CatID=root&Go=Search . NpC works with most FSX default a/c and some payware a/c, such as the L35A, that tend to do things code-wise in the standard FSX way. Like the L35 scripts, a registered (payware) copy of FSUIPC is required. PC Pilot magazine included NpC on the freeware CD they sent out with their 100th Anniversary edition. 

If anyone is interested in the latest version of NpC just PM me an email address.

Al

• Upvote 1

I noted a typo in the list of Lua scripts in post # 9 above, it should say:

Lear35Go_Around – Pushes (activates) Go Around button on left throttle.

Age problem! :sad: 

Al

If anyone is still using the L35A AP Lua scripts I previously made available you will need to update the ALT, ALTSEL, VS and IAS scripts as a result of the L35A ver 2.9 update. I have put all 28 current L35A scripts in a zip file called L35ver2.9 Lua Scripts in my Dropbox here:   https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylm4i8xk16hne84/Lear35v2.9 Lua Scripts.zip?dl=0 , although only the four mentioned need to be updated as far as I know. As a reminder, using Lua scripts requires a registered (payware) copy of FSUIPC.

If for some reason you have a problem accessing the Dropbox file you can PM me an email address and I'll send you the zip file.

Al

EDIT: Updated and expanded script with 44 functions at link in 11June2020 post below. I have not verified if all of the above OLD scripts still work in the latest versions of the Lear35.  Note Flysimware now provides key assignments for the autopilot functions -- see the FSW Lear35 manual.

Edited by ark
  • Upvote 1

hi, sorry for necroing this thread, but is there any way to use these scripsts in linda? I have a 64 button interface and fsuipc can only handle 32 buttons

thanks

3 hours ago, Axlsys said:

hi, sorry for necroing this thread, but is there any way to use these scripsts in linda? I have a 64 button interface and fsuipc can only handle 32 buttons

thanks

No, not in a plug and play sense directly as written, re-coding would be required to conform to the LINDA format. The above (old) Lear scripts have now been incorporated into a single and expanded script called Lear35Controls3.lua that includes 44 different functions which can be assigned to keys or buttons through FSUIPC. I have not used LINDA, but since LINDA is essentially a graphical front end for making FSUIPC - like button assignments, I would expect that someone familiar with LINDA's file format requirements could take the basic information contained in the Lear35Controls3.lua script and generate a corresponding LINDA compatible actions Lua file.

Al

Edited by ark