Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What's a good 4K TV for flight simming/gaming?

I am curious about upgrading to 4k for gaming, and flight simming and was wondering if its worth it?

For anyone with a 4k TV or monitor could you share some light on this.

Right now I am playing p3d v3 with a 30" monitor at 2560x1400... which is nice, but I plan on going all out for P3D v3. That means new graphics card and display.

Will an EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 FTW+ (4GB) be able to handle 4k?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hello Aaron..

Avsim has a lot of threads on this topic.   If I am correct, the jump to 4k should be done only after other more cost effective upgrades of your existing set up are considered.  Better not to go in underpowered.  IMHO...the 680 won't be the best choice.  If you do some extensive searching, you will find lots of discussion on this very subject that will inform your decision.

I plan to build a new system around a 55" 4k tv in the next few months or possibly weeks.   For sure this will be an i7 Skylake 16GB system and an EVGA Classified 980Ti.  My choice for the 55" 4k tv is the Samsung UN55JS7000, SUHD, IPS panel.   

Hope this helps.

RMM

• Upvote 1

I am curious about upgrading to 4k for gaming, and flight simming and was wondering if its worth it?

For anyone with a 4k TV or monitor could you share some light on this.

Right now I am playing p3d v3 with a 30" monitor at 2560x1400... which is nice, but I plan on going all out for P3D v3. That means new graphics card and display.

Will an EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 FTW+ (4GB) be able to handle 4k?

http://www.overclock.net/f/44/monitors-and-displays ,this is a good place to do some research ! The problem with tv are input lag and most don't support 444 chroma sampling.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

For most LED TV's, if you want to check for 4:4:4 chroma at 30hz and 60hz  then go to the reviews by Rtings.  Very technical and detailed.  These folks buy the TV in the store, so they are looking at a unit "From the Field" so to speak.   www.rtings.com

They also have excellent pages on details like viewing angle, panel types, blur, etc.

RMM

Hello Vernon..

Go to www.rtings.com here  http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500

The reviews here will help you a lot.

This model is not good for watching movies.  But supports 30Hz with full 4:4:4 Chroma.

So for flight sim use it should be good. 

Regarding size...after a lot of reading on Avsim and elsewhere, the general rule is that bigger is better.  But I suggest you compare with other models and read every review you can find.   Compare with other brands in this size.   The rtings.com reviews are the best.

RMM

When does a curved screen become useful or required?  I can't get used to the idea of a curved screen.  I keep thinking there must be some image distortion.

Curved screens are great you can hardly notice it. have you tried a cruved yet erich?

Great link RMM i found this in the preview http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue65ju7500-smart-3d-ultra-hd-4k-65-curved-led-tv-10124880-pdt.html

but the model is different, that link says UE and the one in the review is UN?

Vernon Howells

Hi Vernon,

No, not yet.  I'm looking for a 49 inch but tempted by a 55 inch.  I will probably get a flat screen at this stage.  That screen looks MASSIVE. :) - and it's way more than i'm willing to spend at this stage.

If you can recommend a good 49' or 55' in the £600-900 price range i'd be gratetful.  

I have a GTX970 4GB strix card.

Or a slightly smaller but LOT cheaper alternative 4k option, anyone have one of these?

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/hise-ltdn55k321uwts

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hi erich i'm using this for P3d3 http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/it/monitor/curved-monitor/LS34E790CNS/EN its amazing trust me hardly notice the curves looks alot better than a straight dull monitor. you find it on amazon

That looks pretty good. I'm currently the Phillips 4K 40' monitor

The link Kevin just posted (thanks Kevin) has this - at what seems a very reasonable price.

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/LG-49UF675V

Any opinions?

I am also in the market for a 4k TV/monitor and just can't decide between a 50" or a 55". Anyone out there using a 50" 4k TV and wishing that they had gone larger?

I agree with the comments already posted about www.rtings.com. It is the best site I have found for TV information and reviews. I am leaning toward a Samsung.

Prices are good now because of the holiday sales, but the new models will be announced in January at the CES. Buy or wait? Isn't this always the case with hardware in this hobby LOL!

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I'm not so sure. If you always wait for the next best thing, you'll never get there. And most of us simming folk suffer from impulse control issues. :) The only thing that could be worth waiting for is 8K - but that'll be expensive