Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What's a good 4K TV for flight simming/gaming?

What would be a good size 4k TV if i were to sit about 25-30 inches away from it? Basically the TV will be replacing my 30" monitor... It's not going in the living room where I will be sitting on a couch to play. It will be almost directly in front of me. I will probably use my 30" monitor as a 2nd screen to run additional apps while flying. 

Will a GTX 1080 be enough to push a 4k TV and an additional 30" monitor running at 2560x1600?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I've heard that for a desktop monitor replacement then 40-43" is optimal, any larger than that is for the living room sofa. I had a 48" 1080p TV that i tried to use to get an idea of how big it would be and I think it's oversized for how far away I sit.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Keep in mind that a 4K TV's pixels are much smaller/denser, so you can sit closer without noticing screen pixellation.  I use a 55" 4K Samsung UNJS8500 (on the desk ~30-35" in front of me) and using it, I have the PMDG 737 panel at about 80% of life-size.  I drive it with a pair of 980Ti GPUs in SLI...a single GTX1080 will work fine but expect some slowdowns in dense clouds with SGSS AA.

Adding a second monitor to the mix on the same PC is likely going to give you config and/or performance headaches.  I use my last-generation flight sim PC (with a 30" Dell monitor) to run add-ons via a gigabit LAN...ActiveSky, Radar Contact/PFE3, Aivlasoft EFB moving map, Air Traffic Manager etc.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Keep in mind that a 4K TV's pixels are much smaller/denser, so you can sit closer without noticing screen pixellation.  I use a 55" 4K Samsung UNJS8500 (on the desk ~30-35" in front of me) and using it, I have the PMDG 737 panel at about 80% of life-size.  I drive it with a pair of 980Ti GPUs in SLI...a single GTX1080 will work fine but expect some slowdowns in dense clouds with SGSS AA.

Adding a second monitor to the mix on the same PC is likely going to give you config and/or performance headaches.  I use my last-generation flight sim PC (with a 30" Dell monitor) to run add-ons via a gigabit LAN...ActiveSky, Radar Contact/PFE3, Aivlasoft EFB moving map, Air Traffic Manager etc.

Regards

I thought nobody used SGSS when using a 4K TV/Monitor...doesn't the hi reso make that level of AA useless anyway. I ask because I'm about to got buy a 4K TV because I'm so sick of Shimmering at 2xSGSS and I wanted to do away with SGSS altogether.

PS: I'm running a single 980TI

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

SGSS isn't so important for antialiasing at 4K, but it's still the best (only?) way to kill off the shimmer.  I don't suspect that 4K is going to do what you're expecting.  I use it because the expanded field of view on a 55" display up-close starts to give some peripheral sense of motion/height, and for the near life-sized panel.  The flicker is still there, especially in some of the older scenery ported over from FSX--the new stuff that uses the P3D v3 SDK is generally pretty good.

Regards

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

w6kd what model of 4k TV do you have? And can you discern the individual pixels with a screen that big sitting directly in front of it? I plan on going 4k but not sure exactly the size. I want to get something where I can't see the individual pixels while at the same time large enough to be somewhat immersive.

w6kd what model of 4k TV do you have? And can you discern the individual pixels with a screen that big sitting directly in front of it? I plan on going 4k but not sure exactly the size. I want to get something where I can't see the individual pixels while at the same time large enough to be somewhat immersive.

55 inch Samsung UNJS8500.  At normal eye-to-screen viewing distance for simming (~3ft/1m) I cannot see individual pixels...if I lean forward to ~2 ft I can just begin to make out pixellation on the screen.  I chose the 55 inch over the 65 inch for that reason.  I suggest that, if you can, you take a tape measure to a store and look at the TV you want to use...there is significant variation in pixel size, brightness/uniformity of backlighting, color saturation and color fade when viewing from an angle.  And I would make sure it'll support native 30Hz refresh rate...I view that as key to smooth performance in P3D.

Regards

Ok, all you 4k experts here...I just got a Samsung UN50KU6300 and am attempting my first flight in 4K.  However, I have a question for anyone that can answer and especially anyone that has tried this particular TV.  I should add that I'm running this with a GTX 970.

I can't get Game Mode to become available no matter what I do.  I've tried the naming of the input to PC or DVI PC per some posts I've seen on other forums but still no go.  I'm assuming that due to this, I'm paying a little price in smoothness or performance.  I do notice some stutters and a "laggy" mouse from time to time.  This is the biggest issue I'd like to figure out.  Maybe game mode is not possible on this model?  If so, I'll take it back.

Thanks.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Ok, all you 4k experts here...I just got a Samsung UN50KU6300 and am attempting my first flight in 4K.  However, I have a question for anyone that can answer and especially anyone that has tried this particular TV.  I should add that I'm running this with a GTX 970.

Your trying to get into a mode you dont want when using it on a pc that would defeat the purpose of using chroma 4:4:4 which you want to use trust me - the mode you are trying to get into is for PS4 - XBOX stuff  :wink: just went thru all of this on a 40" Samsung before I got my amazing just released Sony 43" Sony XBR43X800D

Heres your TV  - awesome review site for TV's - it seems you have to read between the lines when the word game is used - its not the game your thinking

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

=================================================

Game mode doesn't support 4:4:4, only PC mode does

For general desktop use, you're better off with the PC label and 'Standard' picture mode

Rich Sennett

Your trying to get into a mode you dont want when using it on a pc that would defeat the purpose of using chroma 4:4:4 which you want to use trust me - the mode you are trying to get into is for PS4 - XBOX stuff  :wink:

=================================================

Game mode doesn't support 4:4:4, only PC mode does

For general desktop use, you're better off with the PC label and 'Standard' picture mode

Ah, Ok.  I had that understood backwards then.  Thank you!!!  I messed around with other settings in P3D and I think I got it working well actually.  It is butter smooth right now.  The smoothest experience I've had in a sim.  I was afraid I'd get a little worse moving up to 4K but instead, it seems it may have actually gotten better/smoother!  How awesome is that?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Ah, Ok.  I had that understood backwards then.  Thank you!!!  I messed around with other settings in P3D and I think I got it working well actually.  It is butter smooth right now.  The smoothest experience I've had in a sim.  I was afraid I'd get a little worse moving up to 4K but instead, it seems it may have actually gotten better/smoother!  How awesome is that?

Yes its amazing - hard to explain have to see it for yourself - I noticed that the P3D environment on samsung was just not right looked very strange - tweaked for 5 days - thing started having an issue when I started the pc one morning the screen was all washed out - so in the end brought it back and went with Robs suggestion to get a sony boy was he right looked like my pc but on a huge screen and huge quality - also lag is pretty much zero saw a tiny bit on samsung

Your size tv would cost you a bundle for the newly released sony the "D" series - if you can afford it they are worlds apart - I would not settle for a samsung for watching tv thats fine but not in P3D no way - difference is day and night

Also could not get my OS to work with my P3D picture settings one would be ok but not the other with the sony with a bit of tweaking I have perfect picture for both - just my 2 cents

Rich Sennett

Yes its amazing - hard to explain have to see it for yourself - I noticed that the P3D environment on samsung was just not right looked very strange - tweaked for 5 days - thing started having AN issue when I started the pc one morning the screen was all washed out - so in the end brought it back and went with Robs suggestion to get a sony boy was he right looked like my pc but on a huge screen and huge quality - also lag is pretty much zero saw a tiny bit on samsung

Your size tv would cost you a bundle for the newly released sony the "D" series - if you can afford it they are worlds apart - I would not settle for a samsung for watching tv thats fine but not in P3D no way - difference is day and night

Also could not get my OS to work with my P3D picture settings one would be ok but not the other with the sony with a bit of tweaking I have perfect picture for both - just my 2 cents

1,200$ at bestbuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-54-6-diag--2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4801600.p?id=1219824661812&skuId=4801600

Yeah, max for this purchase was around $700.  I'm definitely not unhappy and without seeing a Sony in person, I don't know the difference.  So I'm just going to pretend I didn't read your comment for now.   :P

Now, if we could just get the darn FSLabs A320 released for P3D!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Yeah, max for this purchase was around $700.  I'm definitely not unhappy and without seeing a Sony in person, I don't know the difference.  So I'm just going to pretend I didn't read your comment for now.   :P

Now, if we could just get the darn FSLabs A320 released for P3D!!!!!!!!

Sorry this one - much better price 49" not much difference this is what I have in 43" seeing it in person wont help much you need to start up P3D to see it   :wink: these are also 140hz TV's not that we can use it but cant hurt - samsung is 60hz

Another tidbit Salesman at bestbuy told me that samsung pays a premium to have the best looking cool 4k videos running on their tvs while being displayed to the consumer - guess why lol 

850.00$

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4801802.p?id=1219824662842&skuId=4801802&ref=199&loc=bDx0OkViKkI&acampID=1&siteID=bDx0OkViKkI-Vrh4vp3oqz3r7.o0O9HqwQ

Rich Sennett

Sorry this one - much better price 49" not much difference this is what I have in 43" seeing it in person wont help much you need to start up P3D to see it   :wink: these are also 140hz TV's not that we can use it but cant hurt - samsung is 60hz

Another tidbit Salesman at bestbuy told me that samsung pays a premium to have the best looking cool 4k videos running on their tvs while being displayed to the consumer - guess why lol 

850.00$

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4801802.p?id=1219824662842&skuId=4801802&ref=199&loc=bDx0OkViKkI&acampID=1&siteID=bDx0OkViKkI-Vrh4vp3oqz3r7.o0O9HqwQ

That's not a bad price.  Where were you about 4 hours ago?  LOL.  It's got me thinking...maybe I should return this and get that one.  I have 90 days to return this one.  So, I could order the Sony and keep this while I wait for the Sony to get here.  :)

For TV's though, I like Samsung.  I have their SUHD 55" in my living room and love it!  Nothing against Sony though either.  For me, there's always been two companies when buying TVs, Samsung and Sony.  Those are the only two brands I've ever owned.  Didn't know there was a big difference in this price range for PC use between the two til now though.(though it would still be nice to see in person too before I make that final judgement).

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

That's not a bad price.  Where were you about 4 hours ago?  LOL.  It's got me thinking...maybe I should return this and get that one.  I have 90 days to return this one.  So, I could order the Sony and keep this while I wait for the Sony to get here.  :)

For TV's though, I like Samsung.  I have their SUHD 55" in my living room and love it!  Nothing against Sony though either.  For me, there's always been two companies when buying TVs, Samsung and Sony.  Those are the only two brands I've ever owned.  Didn't know there was a big difference in this price range for PC use between the two til now though.(though it would still be nice to see in person too before I make that final judgement).

So you ordered samsung online ? I bought mine at the store glad I did - had a budget also but for 200$ dollars more I said that Rob is a smart cookie most of the time lol - I wanted the samsung after seeing the much better video playing on it but salesman said if it was me I would go with the sony - he had one also - he didnt care which one I bought but you could tell he thought I was an idiot if I didnt go with the sony - so glad I did - I even have the settings written down - hint hint  :wink:

Another thing to consider is PTA - that really makes things hard to figure out - it was just never right - tried everything - different sky textures - tv settings - P3D settings was driving me crazy - well not anymore perfect reproduction of what I was use to on my 32" pc monitor - only thing that does not complete the perfect experience is 4k youtube test videos they could use a little more color but no biggie - I use my P3D and OS way more so I dont mess with the settings to much - those videos look great but could use a little more punch but dont want to mess around with my settings

Rich Sennett