Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What's a good 4K TV for flight simming/gaming?

I would be interested to hear some opinions and ideas on 4K screen sizes and how you are set up. By set up I mean distance to screen where you sit ect. I ask because 55" seems so large to me. Note that my plan is mostly geared to GA maybe twin engine and not tubeliners.  I now use a 24" monitor build into a console. I am thinking maybe a 40"  would be good but it's hard to judge since I have never seen P3D on larger screens. I would love some advise on pro's and cons on say 40" 4K vs 50-55" advantages and disadvantages??

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Well each to there own ;)

Indeed!  :))   Let us know what you decide on.  New tech is always exciting.

I'm jealous already. Don't forget to come back and let us know how you like it and what is a comfortable viewing distance from it.

I have a triple monitor setup with 3 Dell 1280 x 1024 monitors that I have been using for years. With overlapping bezels it spans 46" which is in between the span of a 50" (43" horizontal span) and a 55" (49" horizontal span) monitor. I have been sitting with my eyes 30" from it. This setup has been great except for the bezels and having to scroll up and down between the FMC and windscreen views. My feeling is that a 55" monitor would be fine but I may just have to push it a little farther from me.....and I may have to replace my 780GTX with a 980 to handle the doubling in resolution. $$$ Ouch. Better wait until after Christmas before I buy this for myself.

I know the 4k monitor will eliminate the bezel annoyance and I 'm hoping the doubling of the vertical resolution will just about eliminate having to scroll up and down to view the instrument panel and the outside views.

And here's one other thought for us old farts with reading glasses that I have never seen mentioned. If you get a big enough monitor, you may able to sit far enough from it where you don't need to fly with your reading glasses to read the instruments.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

TED..

See Rob Ainscough's comments on his 49" 4k Sony TV here...  http://www.avsim.com/topic/449322-bought-a-4k-screen-for-prepar3d/

Elsewhere on Avsim, I saw Rob comment that a bit larger size might have been good.  But like all of us, we choose in on budget constraints.

Rob has mentioned his 49" Sony 4k tv in numerous threads and is obviously very pleased with it as a P3D monitor.

So it seems 55" is a really good sweet spot for price and real estate.

I plan to buy the Samsung UN55JS7000 soon.   The price was $997 then back went up.  A couple of online vendors offer it at just over $1100.

RMM

thanks for all your feedback, but one thing I noticed, a monitor is always much sharper than a TV.

When comparing a 1080p HDTV for example a 48" vs a 27" 1080p Monitor. The monitor is much much sharper. So I'm assuming it would be the same when comparing 4K TV vs a 4K monitor. Wouldn't a monitor be sharper?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

RMM,

Thanks for the link. I think it probably won't make any difference whether I get a 50" or a 55" but I thought I asked for feedback from users. I've seen posts where people were very happy with sizes from 40" to 75".  Whatever I get will someday replace my 42" 1080P TV in my den, so what is best for that location will probably be the deciding factor.

Aaron,

A smaller monitor at the same resolution will have the same number of pixels covering a smaller area (higher pixel density) so it will always look sharper. The optimal size of monitor is dependent on how far you intend to sit from it.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I would wait till next year! Patience is key

This IS the key. 4K now is not a good idea. At CES 2016, about 30 days out from this post, large scale 4K OLED will dominate.

My hope is to cash in late next year when "old" 4K displays are cleared out at HD prices!

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

I'm already spending 20k plus on my 737 NG from flightdeck solutions so my budget is tight and that 4k will do me

Vernon Howells

Hi erich i'm using this for P3d3 http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/it/monitor/curved-monitor/LS34E790CNS/EN its amazing trust me hardly notice the curves looks alot better than a straight dull monitor. you find it on amazon

No issues with displaying P3D in 21:9 aspect ratio with this monitor ?

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU