Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What's a good 4K TV for flight simming/gaming?

Lol,

Ok HDMI 2 it is then :). I have an i7 4790K @ 4GH 16MB corsair ram and a GTX970 4 G Card. Will this be ok to run P3D at 4K on the 49" TV. I have read all the forums, but to be honest I am still a bit in the dark.Appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Neil

Lol,

Ok HDMI 2 it is then :). I have an i7 4790K @ 4GH 16MB corsair ram and a GTX970 4 G Card. Will this be ok to run P3D at 4K on the 49" TV. I have read all the forums, but to be honest I am still a bit in the dark.Appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Neil

Should be.  I'm running it on a i5 2500k @4.5Ghz, 8M RAM, and a GTX 970.  Mostly smooth for me except in AS16/ASCA clouds where I notice some stuttering but nothing so bad that I don't want to fly.  Still can't figure out how to improve things there.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I finally did it and got myself a new 4K TV and wow, I am beyond impressed. This has totally transformed the flight simming experience for me! What really surprised me the most is that I thought I would get worse performance but somehow everything is running smoother if not better than my current 30" display at 2560x1600!

How can this be? Is it my imagination??? Moving to 4K I thought would make my performance worse.

Anyways, there's so much settings i need to set to get the most of gaming. Running at 4K do I need to set the MSAA/AA in P3D that high anymore? I currently have MSAA at 8x and AA at 16x

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I finally did it and got myself a new 4K TV and wow, I am beyond impressed

Congrats! It is an amazing experience when you move to 1080p. What size did you get?

I currently have MSAA at 8x and AA at 16x

I think its a matter of personal preference.  I have  MSAAx4 and AFx16.  Some don't like the slightly blurred effect of MSAA, but it works for me.

Erich, I got a 55", I have no room on my desk for anything else. Looks like I'll need to find a larger desk now. 4K gaming is amazing!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I got a 55", I have no room on my desk for anything else. Looks like I'll need to find a larger desk now. 4K gaming is amazing!

Thats exactly what I got. It's a truly amzing experience moving to a 55' 4k. Have fun!

Running at 4K do I need to set the MSAA/AA in P3D that high anymore? I currently have MSAA at 8x and AA at 16x

Yes...and I'm assuming you meant AF (not AA) at 16x.  AA is still important on larger screens used as monitors...running 4K on a smaller monitor where the high resolution and smaller physical pixel size reduces the angle of view of each pixel to well below the threshold discernable to the eye has the effect of reducing perceptible jaggies.  On a big screen viewed from short range, the angle of view per pixel is very close to or perhaps slightly above the threshold of perception, so jaggies can still be apparent without judicious use of AA.  I use 8xMSAA and 16x AF without SGSS most of the time.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Would any of you guys mind posting pictures of your desk setups and screens? Would love to see some in action shots to gauge how awesome this really is. 

Yes, I'm really enjoying the 4K experience. However it has increased my VAS usage by maybe 200-300mb more. I haven't tried loading up the PMDG 777 yet. Before I would get around 600-700MB VAS left after loading the 777 at the gate with my previous setup before I got the 4K TV. I have a feeling I might be extremely close to OOM when loading the 777 on 4K now. :( I've already dialed a lot of sliders back already.

Yes I meant MSAA... I am leaving mine at 8xMSAA and 16xAF for VFR flying and for tubeliners 4xMSAA or 2 and 16xAF. I can't get over how clear everything is especially in the cockpit, all the panels are nice and big, I don't even need to pop them out! I can see them perfectly!

Would anyone mind posting a picture of their setup please?

I'll post one tonight.

Hi Folks,

Maybe someone can help me understand what I'm looking for.  You have convinced me to buy a 4K TV rather than a monitor. 

My situation:

• Saving-up $ as I go to buy one piece at a time and I did the i6700K/GTX1080 build.
  • System will be used for P3D only.  Not as a TV at all.  No other games or video/picture editing.
  • My desk can only handle up to a 43" display.

My question:

I understand for the most part what makes one computer monitor more expensive than another, but what do I gain for my application when buying a $650 43" Sony XBR43X800D vs. a $330 43" Hitachi LU43V809

If anyone has a different recommendation I would love to hear it as well.

Thank you for the help,

Greg