Sign in to follow this  
echollet

a suggestion for the 747

Hello to all PMDG pilots,First of all PMDG, I love you products. Thank you very much and 'bravo'.Now, this post is about a small feature I'd like to see in the forthcoming 747. It is the possibility to set in the FMC a trigger that would pause FS at some point along the route. This feature is implemented in PSS A340. PSSA340 has a setting so that it pauses FS when TOD is reached. IMHO, it would be great to pause 'at some waypoint' especially in these long haul birds... and not only at TOD.It could perhaps be some 'hidden' compulsory attribute of a waypoint so that realism of FMC display is not polluted.(or does anyone know about any independant tool that could pause FS after some time during the flight ? )Well. It's just a though. Now my credit card can't wait for your next product but I think waiting is part of the pleasure (perhaps I should not say that. Some people might burn me. :-hah). I wish you the best for the 747 development phase and in the meanwhile, I'll keep on enjoying my 737s and B1900D. (They both keep me busy).:-beerchug Cheers

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Personally I'd love to see an old PIC767 feature, I think.If your flying a long flight you can automatically jump to any waypoint, say the one before top of descent. In my opinion that would be a great bonus, especially for a long haul aircraft.Cheers,Paul

the pause suggestion would be incredibly annoying.however it would be nice to have a feature that saves the flight at TOD.

>If your flying a long flight you can automatically jump to any>waypoint, say the one before top of descent. How did you do that...I haven't found that future out yet with my PIC767.

The pause-function on the PSS 330/340 is absolutely great and would be great if PMDG would implement it aswell. It allows me to start a long haul flight at night, let it fly while I am sleeping and in the morning I continue at the TOD, great !Would be really good ++ for PMDG

>>If your flying a long flight you can automatically jump to>any>>waypoint, say the one before top of descent. >>How did you do that...I haven't found that future out yet with>my PIC767.I believe all the great features the made the PIC767 the best addon ever, such as the above and not to mention all the training adventures etc, was only available in FS2000. PaulHmmm, might install FS2000 tonight!

maybe the program " iwillbeback" is what you are looking forquoteThis program allows to program a pause or alarm condition on FS based on flight distance. Using this program it is possible to pause the FS or play a sound after X NM, this is useful when you have to leave from the computer but don't want to miss the Top Of Descend or any other important eventunquoteyou can find it right here at avsim : Author: Jos

Thank you for the iwillbeback.zip reference. It seems to work fine indeed.

Ummm...what about just hitting the "P" button??Goran

I agree, what has already been discussed and I sure hope will not be forgotten is a way to save a flight in-flight with all FMC settings etc preserved when you choose that flight next time you fire FS up.Cheers,

I never saw a 747 parked up in the sky!.>>>>>OK, JUST KIDDING!Best

You mean PSS got something to work? :-badteeth Seriously, this is really strange to me. I understand wanting a long-haul plane, but I don't get climbing to FL then going to bed or leaving, only to come back when it's time to approach. *:-* I realize you want long flights and don't want to just sit there, but it's crazy to me either way.

It would be great it it would be included. As a pilot you can still choose to use it or not, but at least one would have the choice!

BTW, Radar Contact has an option to pause at 200 miles default. You can set it to any distance or turn it off. For those that have overflown their destination only to crash when out of fuel know the value of this feature. The good point is that even on short flights if you get up to get a brew or go to sleep, you won't ever miss the began descent calls from Radar Contact's much improved ATC over the FS ATC.CheersBob

I was hoping this would come up. I see most of the answers are what I expected. I think it would be great. I know some cant understand why people want this but I for one cannot sit in front of a computer for hours on end. I have a 1+ year old little girl and I have to pick and choose when I can takeoff land and so forth (when Mom isnt hoeme)usually during nap time so to have this feauture would be a big help to those in a similar situation as me. Those who dont like it dont have to use it.My opinion.

I'm with you on that one Chris.Each to their own of course, but I'm still trying to understand the point of sleeping for eight hours with the sim running....Tim

Not that kind of use. Suppose that you start a flight and your wife uses her power to something like: we have to go somewhere. Iwillbeback was made to make sure that the TOD wasn't missed. There's nothing more annoying to a wife than a husband looking in to the clock to get sure the plane is not crashed in the middle of the ocean due to lack of fuel :)Jos

I think this is a departure from the "realism" goal and should not be part of the product at all. However, an add-on gauge or program can do the same trick, and be used on other planes as well.It has always seemed a paradox to me that while we all want realism and pursue "as real as it gets", which drives wonderful add-ons such as the PMDG line, at the same time when considering a 747 hop from say, Sidney to LAX, those 12 hours in flight are somewhat uninteresting and we want to fast forward, throwing realism out the window.Oh well, such is life.Cheers,

The pause/alert trick is very well done by the iwillbeback program as mentionned ealier in this thread and it can be used for any aircraft. Simple and nice tool indeed. That's right.So I withdraw my original suggestion about adding this feature in the 747. (needless to spend effort to something that already exists).Now, I do agree with you Etienne that we all want realism and "as real as it gets" but I think that this applies to different extents for each one us. I guess most of us (PMDG customers vs. say casual C172 simmers) want more realism on the aircraft itself (more system implementations, failures, etc.). I agree with that. First priority (and my suggestion did not belong to that category so...)Now, I think a "FS session realism" is another issue and it very much depends on personnal tastes and external constraints and may vary from day to day. (talking about constraints, my wife seems to have developped a 6th sens to disturb me while in approach phase -especially when flying on line :-badteeth ). You're right. Our realism is made of trade off and it can appear as a paradox.(...and sometimes, I think it's better not to have "as real as it gets" considering the number of times I've crashed !... :-) )... so PMDG forget about pause at TOD or the alike, simply give us a nice 747 (with a cockpit that we can share over the network to fly PF/PNF almost for real. I hope we'll have this sort of bird one day,.. with FS2018 perhaps ? :-bigangel )Cheers,

GuysStop argueing! It's that simple. Most of us are professionals with hard work to do, loving fathers and husbands, too. We don't have time to sit in front of the Computer for hours and hours, even if we'd love to. We have to leave the house. Even have to shut down the Computer. I don't want to leave it unattended while nobody is at home. We need a tool the save a current panel state like PIC 767 has it. And stop telling me the sh... about as real as it gets. I'm sure that the folks at PMDG will take care of our long haul problems and give us the possibility to save a current panel/FMS state. Thanks PMDG, you're the very top of today's flightsim-add-ons. RegardsTom

Realism can only go so far. Sure, the guys flyin' these things for real can't fast forward, but then again that's what they do for a living. The other 98% of the world's population is relegated to doing something else for a living, and flying flight sims in their spare time which INCLUDES going to bed during a long flight and resuming in the morning.I, for one, will immediately look for that zip file mentioned earlier and employ that. PSS has a great feature that doesn't have to be used for those who have nothing better to do but sit in front of a radiation gun for 8 hours.I work 12 hour shifts at YYZ. I have a 1 year old also. I have 1 car. I don't have 8 hours to kill watching scenery blow by. The POINT is that I set up the plane, taxi, t/o, and give Otto Pilot a smack across the head, and when I come back it's ready for me to take over again. You want realism? Fly the aircraft by hand for 8 hours to simulate an autopilot failure. Or better yet, get your wife/brother/friend to sit 1 foot to your right (or left depending on who's older ;) ) for the entire duration of that flight. Time how long it takes for him/her to leave to find something else to do.It's a SIMULATOR, not an emulator.Trevor LoweCYYZ Apron CoordinatorTerminal 3

Well said Trevor. Boredom is a large problem in a Long Haul PIlots life. They wouldn't sit there in the cockpit if they weren't earning money...

Thank God some people on this forum still have their senses!I am no fan of the "as real as it gets". I for one think that we are simulating a real simulator, not a real aircraft! And a real simulator does have position freeze etc etc...And for the guys who want it as real as possible, I say don't use the pause-function. But do take other peoples preoccupations into consideration please !

Hi guysI have started to fly long houls alot recently. Both B767 and A340 and i love it.At the moment I am over Greenland to New York, 2 hours late. Anyway, when I land in new York I will make a quick turnaround on 1-1