Sign in to follow this  
stevenp

md-11 oom errors

Guest Knikolaes

I'd like to come back to report on this.I did go ahead and get the MD-11. Actually M'lady got it for me. Bless her heart. I love you, Cherish.Anyway, I did get the OOM error 3 times in a row during the tutorial flight. It always occurred in the descent phase of the tutorial flight.Now here's the kicker. I took note of the fixes in this thread and applied them all. I am tired as a zombie and as a drawback didn't have the patience to go through them all on at a time. Thus I applied the following: * The Windows Vista patch to have 32 bit OS make full use of my memory * The FSX EXE file patch despite having already applied SP2 * The CFG file add-in for the Bufferpools (Poolsize)I also suspected resources being taken up in the background, so I also followed up with the following: * I used Diskkeeper 2008 to assure all volumes are defragged. * I used Vista Manager to assure full cleanup of system and registry. * I disabled the automatic features in Diskkeeper 2008. * I disabled my Antivirus (I use Avast) on-access protection.Guess what happened? 2 successful tutorial flights in a row -- one in the Swissair livery and I did a cargo run in the FedEx Livery.I do not know which one of the above steps fixed the issue. But something in this thread worked -- at least for me. I plan to do a much longer flight tomorrow, and if it is successful, then all should be well.If it helps, I never had Ultimate Terrain Europe installed. However I do have VFR London, VFR Generation X (full coverage -- all 3 volumes), but I do NOT have Aerosoft's EGLL installed (yet). I am running Ultimate Traffic though at default sliders for traffic and medium-high sliders for scenery. Weather, aircraft and display are at ultra-high settings.For the destination I have Switzerland Professional installed but nothing else of interest in that geographical area.So I gather this rules out scenery conflict with add-ons. rather I suspect it was indeed in my OS. Whatever worked, worked. Best bet is, try everything in this thread and see if your issue goes away as well.If it helps for comparison, I also have ActiveSkyX with GraphicsX installed, but I was using default Fair Weather at the time. When I make my run tomorrow it will be with an outbound and return flight, same airports, with realtime weather. I it makes that then i know for sure the issue is fixed for me since I had three fails in a row just on the outbound leg.Either way -- I'll post here with the result tmorrow night.

> If Prime crashes one's system, it is most certainly a software> issue. I think you mean "hardware issue"! And I agree: but the odd thing is that Prime95 runs just fine on my setup (as do the other stress tools I've tried: the one in Everest and the one in a red window whose name I can't immediately recall, as well as SuperPI and the 3DMark06 benchmark).Having said that, I'm absolutely not an expert in these things. I've no idea what a "memory leak" is: to my ears it's just an expression that sounds as if it might cover my situation, which seems to have something to do with too much data getting into the system too quickly at a critical point in the path. But I am still quite willing to accept that there's a glitch somewhere in my setup. Last night I un-installed all my FSX stuff. In the next few days I'll reinstall it one bit at a time and see if it makes a difference. I know, I ought to do an o/s reinstall too: I'll see how much tedium I can tolerate.Tim

Philip from Denmark referred to the old link on Phil Taylor's website pointing to an update from MS that stopped Vista from duplicating video RAM in system RAM (or something like that).I have Vista 64 SP-1. I cannot install the update - presumably because it comes pre=installed with SP1.But I wonder whether MS botched it with SP1? Does Vista 64 SP-1 somehow "undo" the effects of the original patch? See the very last post on Phil's blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...other-ship.aspxIs there some way to FORCE Vista to "re-install" the MS patch, even though it thinks it's already installed?Tim

Guest D17S

@ Chris* The Windows Vista patch to have 32 bit OS make full use of my memoryAhhh, you mean the 3G patch for a Vista 32bit op system? your sig shows Vista 32/64 and XP. You are running Vista 32 with the sim? * The FSX EXE file patch despite having already applied SP2No go! Reinstall SP2 and hope for the best. There's no telling what happened to that poor .exe file. SP2 will take care of this. * The CFG file add-in for the Bufferpools (Poolsize)No bufferpools yet.32 bit - Programs - in a 32 bit operating system can only use ~ 1.5Gs ram per program (VS OOMs at 2G). The 3G switch will allow programs to use up to ~ 2.5Gs (VS OOMs at 3G). The max a 32bit operating system can use under Any circumstances is 4Gs. That 8Gs has likely never been used, unless multiple 32bit, hi-ram users are all running together in Vista 64.@ TimI think you mean "hardware issue"!Nope. The point is this: If I want to 2-step with the pretty girl, I might just have to forgo that triple spin, double dip move I perfected. Actually, it's all her fault (i.e., "software related"). But there on the other hand, it takes 2 to tango. She may be a bit sensitive (to my speedy ram?). I compromise all the time.And Vram is forecast by VS. If that Vram problem was occurring, its symptom would be an OOM event. This could be seen in Process Explorer. Non-OOM CTDs are something else.

@ SamI thought that success with Prime95 was a necessary, though not always sufficient, condition of stability in a PC. On that basis, I could follow your analogy if you had originally written "If Prime does NOT crash one's system, it is most certainly a software issue" (although a successful Prime run does not, of course, guarantee an absence of hardware issues). But if the system DOES crash under something as un-lovely as Prime, surely this demonstrates that there is a glitch in the hardware and/or configuration, whether or not there are also other problems with other - prettier - applications? @ AnyonePer my earlier post, does anyone know how to force Vista to install a Hotfix that it thinks it doesn't need?Tim

I just want to be 100% sure before I apply the 3g switch, so I dont F*** something up.Is this how my commando prompt shall look like? :)- Philip from Denmark

>What's "leaking?" Physical or VS? It doesn't really take any>special tools to see this. Task manager can monitor physical>ram loads and Process Explorer can monitor VS.>>However a counter argument is also clear. If Prime crashes>one's system, it is most certainly a software issue. It's just about accessing memory releasing memory and clean up your stuff (housekeeping lol);-)When this is done in a incorrect way or no error handling for that "sub" routine which is going into a loop etc... etc... A memory leak is the gradual loss of available computer memory when a program (an application or part of the operating system) repeatedly fails to return memory that it has obtained for temporary use. As a result, the available memory for that application or that part of the operating system becomes exhausted and the program can no longer function. For a program that is frequently opened or called or that runs continuously, even a very small memory leak can eventually cause the program or the system to terminate. A memory leak is the result of a program bug. If it's hardware related then it puzzles me why it only happens with the PMDG MD11 and not any other software add-on or heavy system intensive program... If you think this add-on is resource intensive come into the real world ;-)Task manager is nice but isn't used for this kind of troubleshooting in the IT world I live in daily lol Hence even Vista has a default debug tool lolMaybe we should find the common factor here which trigger this behaviour with this piece of art ;-)Still testing and open to suggestions :-)http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

> When I make my run tomorrow it will be with an>outbound and return flight, same airports, with realtime>weather. I it makes that then i know for sure the issue is>fixed for me since I had three fails in a row just on the>outbound leg.>>Either way -- I'll post here with the result tmorrow night.Try a night flight and switching between full and windowed after your 30 minutes in flight lolhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

Please don't pay a attention to my post above. I would have deleted it if still possible. It was the result of too long time trying to find the culprit. After re

Guest Knikolaes

>@ Chris>>* The Windows Vista patch to have 32 bit OS make full use of>my memory>Ahhh, you mean the 3G patch for a Vista 32bit op system? your>sig shows Vista 32/64 and XP. You are running Vista 32 with>the sim? Exactly>>* The FSX EXE file patch despite having already applied SP2>No go! Reinstall SP2 and hope for the best. There's no telling>what happened to that poor .exe file. SP2 will take care of>this. >Well the deed is done and it seems to be working. If it appears fixed on my part at least, I won't do any more to it. Once I get an issue off my system I stop at the "don't fix it if it isn't broke" step :-)>* The CFG file add-in for the Bufferpools (Poolsize)>No bufferpools yet.Not sure what that means or what this does. I just tossed it in there for kicks.>>32 bit - Programs - in a 32 bit operating system can only use>~ 1.5Gs ram per program (VS OOMs at 2G). The 3G switch will>allow programs to use up to ~ 2.5Gs (VS OOMs at 3G). The max a>32bit operating system can use under Any circumstances is 4Gs.>That 8Gs has likely never been used, unless multiple 32bit,>hi-ram users are all running together in Vista 64.>Precisely. What I meant to say was "Full-ER use of my memory as 32 bit can handle. I never expect a 32 bit OS to use even 4 Gigs of memory let alone 8. As a matter of fact 32 bit will never make use of even 4 Gigs. The max you will eversee a 32 bit recognize is 3.2 to 3.5 gigs (the 3.5 only if you are one lucky soul). The only time an OS will ever recognize all 4 gigs is if it is 64 bit.

I applied the 3G switch, rebooted my PC;i then took my PMDG MD11 for a ride:Aerosoft Budapest - Aerosoft Frankfurt with a shipment of tea and sugar.I had NONE ZERO OOM's!!!!! Weeeeeeeeee!- PhilipPs. before I could barely take off before I got an OOM