Sign in to follow this  
Guest JIMJAM

Show me your machine. Doing a build,

Guest JIMJAM

If you have recently built rig and its running FSX very well, I want to see your specs.Or if you have and there is hardware you wished you would have done different, let me know.My freind owns a computer store and wants to sit down with me and go over the options.I want the BEST but nothing so new and exotic that its umproven.FSX can be finicky so I would rather have tried and true than be a hardware Guinea pig.I understand that something amazing is always just around the corner.I am planning on moving to Vista 64, keeping my raptor 150 hd,maybe my 8800gt,Xfi sound card and 2 cd/dvd drives. Other than that, everything else new.The most important info is,proccessor,MOB,ram,type and amount amd power supply.Any cooling ideas are welcomed.A big THANKS ahead of time. Jim

If you must buy now I'd go for an E8500http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115036Asus Maximus or variations with the X38 or X48 chipset, or the 790ihttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131235Mushkin DDR3 4GBhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146777Corsair 620whttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139002That's a pretty high end system thereYou could scale down on the mobo and stick with DDR2 RAM to be a lot cheaper.If you can wait I'd wait for the Nehalemhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That Mushkin DDR3 1600 looks nice. That wasn't available 2 months ago when I spec'ed mine out.JIMJAM it depends on what you want...do you want performance right now (Penryn), or later (Nehalem). The *Affordable* Nehalems will not be out until next year. I predict the only Nehalem you'll be able to buy in 2008, will be the Extreme Edition variants ($1000+ price)You wanted specs, you know mine, they are below. You also know from the other threads how nice FSX performance and stability is with this hardware. I'd bet that Mushkin DDR3 that Ryan points out would be nice. I built with Mushkin in the years past and it worked well, o/c well too.X38 vs. X48, I'd go X48, they seem to be clocking to higher FSB's, and this is something to consider if you are going to overclock. I'd say, if you buy a higher-end ASUS board and DDR3, you'd almost want to overclock it at least a little, out of principle.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

At this point I'd not recommend buying a high end system as the next gen high end stuff will be so much better and its almost here.The high end is about to change with new nVidia video cards with 512mb memory buses, and then Intels new CPU.If you really have to buy current gen, just pick up a e8500 based system for a low cost.

Guest JIMJAM

No I am in no real hurry.I also realise There will ALWAYS be something alot better just getting ready to come out.I did not fall for the DX10 feeding frenzy though.I bought a PS3 which scratches my 1st person shooter itch so now my machine is pretty much FSX dedicated.We built it, Its XP, Asus M2n32 sli deluxe mob/AMD FX62 dual core running about 3.0/BFG 8800GT oc, 2 Gigs Kingston HyperX/Raptor and GOOD 750W PS.Everytime I go in its like the woman at the hair salon holding up the picture of the famous actress says, "I want to look like this."He gives me the "its not your computer but the crappy programming" speech, but if you want throw away your money........My performance is good, great considering all the addons I have but its not very stable.I suffer from the occassional menu CTDs and some out of the blue. Usually during a loading phase.I need to use the whole bags of tricks,Nhancer profile ect ect and just tired of it.I figured a mob,proc,ram change was in order.

Guest ugotkevin

I get around 20.5 fps on global ultra high running the fsx benchmark found in avsim's file library using nHancer at 1600*1200x32Q6600@3.0GHzP35 mobo4GB DDR2 10009800GTX

>That Mushkin DDR3 1600 looks nice. >X38 vs. X48, I'd go X48, they seem to be clocking to higher>FSB's, and this is something to consider if you are going to>overclock. I'd say, if you buy a higher-end ASUS board and>DDR3, you'd almost want to overclock it at least a little, out>of principle.I have 2 x 2gb of the Mushkin Ascent DDR3-1600 7-7-6-28 1T modules. They are great. Unfortunately the P5E3 Prem I have doesn't like pushing the FSB with my QX9650 (I know it's rated as a 333 CPU, but it had no problem doing 440 on a P5E DDR2 board). I have read on the Corsair (I think) forum about QX9650s don't always do even 400FSB. So I don't really know if it's my particular P5E3 Prem, or just it's particularly finicky with my . . . particular QX9650. In either case, the mushkin modules are very nice, run cool and low voltage, and really seem tolerant of a huge range of underclocking timing changes. Because my CPU/Mainboard won't do more than about 410FSB I am limited to DDR freq of 1640. I am getting nice Everest latency (48ns) and bandwidth, and all this at stock voltage, except the NB is up to 1.39 just for good measure. It is nice having the MCH Read Delay capability (Common Performance) on the X48 board.I am not sure how safe it is to try to o'c an FSB using more v in the parameters it is controlled by in the BIOS. Maybe I'll research it some more n see what is tolerable by my X48, at least for short hops!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest UlfB

>No I am in no real hurry.I also realise There will ALWAYS be>something alot better just getting ready to come out.That's true. But Intel's planned release of the Nehalem cpu family during Q4 this year, will have a great impact. This seems to be a major shift. Read more here:http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...doc.aspx?i=3326Side effect will be that prices will drop for existing C2D cpu:s.I'll go for the Nehalem, when there is a good mobo with stable BIOS available for this new socket LGA-1366.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest D17S
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedW...aspx?ID=7159746Here, the - Single - argument is between a dual core at 4.0Ghz (E8500) and a quad at 3.6Ghz (Q6600). As we've become aware, clock on a Single Core determines FPS. Number of cores determines the smoothness any commensurate FPS. I've always argued a quad core running .4Ghz Slower that a duel core provides a better current FS experience and smarter future-proofed value. Beyond that argument, the system linked here is optimum. Performance beyond this system's capacity becomes exponentially more expensive as a builder chases only subjectively arguable improvements (i.e.,bragging rights"). There's absolutely No Need for anything beyond these components (X-Vcard? Jury's is still out on that one).If a builder really wants an objectively determinable improvement, wait for Nehalem . . . then brace for a Big disappointment. The Folders and Superpi-ers are going ga-ga. However, it's not looking encouraging for the massive increase we saw between the P4 and the Core2 for the rest of us. Prepare for a letdown. I expect the system linked here will stay within 10% of any quad until the quad becomes an Octi. That's your double . . . assuming FS can figure out how to efficiently use 'em. If a builder wants to wait, wait for that (and don't forget to send out for pizza!) In other words, go ahead and build it now. This is a 2 year build. SandyBridge (and FS multi-core optimization) is our next great hope.

Hi Sam,One of these days I may install Vista 64 on a separate drive. Is there any benefit in running FSX in this vs XP Pro SP2 or SP3?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest D17S

Vista-ness wouldn't matter, but the 64bit-ness would. As our machines get more capable, we run with bigger and bigger program memory loads. The 3G switch is almost a requirement for the 32bit guys running high end systems. These systems allow the user to run higher sliders and settings. This increases the memory load. I run above 3Gs of this Vmem stuff (the OOM causer) all the time with the PMDG airplane. Any 32bit system would have crashed, but my 64 bit system allows me to keep going. Also, I'm running physical ram loads > 3G all the time too. The 64 bit system allows me to recognize all 4Gs and my system remains entirely usable. AnY 32bit system would be about outa gas. The 64bit op systems will allow this Vmem stuff to run up to 4Gs with a 64 bit system running a 32 bit program before it OOMs. I had to work at it, but I got a PMDG 744X flight to load to a 4G OOM event with a > 3.5G physical ram load. I got an OOM crash-to-desktop at 4Gs/Vmem. I was slugging it out at 3 FPS. However as hardware catches up, 3 will be 30FPS in no time. A 64bit op system -- running a 64bit program -- allows up to 8 terabits of this Vmem stuff before it OOMs. FS11 had BeTTer be a 64bit program. Run process explorer along with a flight: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspxSet up a column to read Virtual Size (that's the OOM stuff). Cram all the sliders to the right and run the PMDG 744X. See what kind of a load 45ns can get. I'll bet you're right on the edge.

If you go with the ASUS Maximus, be sure you get the model you want. My Maximus (not an "Extreme" model) only takes DDR2 RAM, not DD3, but it runs like a champ anyway. Also be aware that the Northbridge/Southbridge layout around the CPU area on the Maximus limits your options for CPU cooler -- you have to make sure the Heatsink/Fan you finally buy will clear those components. There's nothing like having all your hardware there and ready to go into your case and finding out the only thing holding you up is the bloody CPU fan won't click down!My specs are below but I'm stickin' with FS9 for now and getting 60 - 70 FPS with TONS of addons. I'm VERY happy with my build (today).

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Im doing ok :-) specs in sig

>>That Mushkin DDR3 1600 looks nice. >X38 vs. X48, I'd go>X48, they seem to be clocking to higher>>FSB's, and this is something to consider if you are going to>>overclock. I'd say, if you buy a higher-end ASUS board and>>DDR3, you'd almost want to overclock it at least a little,>out>>of principle.>>I have 2 x 2gb of the Mushkin Ascent DDR3-1600 7-7-6-28 1T>modules. They are great. Unfortunately the P5E3 Prem I have>doesn't like pushing the FSB with my QX9650 (I know it's rated>as a 333 CPU, but it had no problem doing 440 on a P5E DDR2>board). I have read on the Corsair (I think) forum about>QX9650s don't always do even 400FSB. So I don't really know>if it's my particular P5E3 Prem, or just it's particularly>finicky with my . . . particular QX9650. In either case, the>mushkin modules are very nice, run cool and low voltage, and>really seem tolerant of a huge range of underclocking timing>changes. Because my CPU/Mainboard won't do more than about>410FSB I am limited to DDR freq of 1640. I am getting nice>Everest latency (48ns) and bandwidth, and all this at stock>voltage, except the NB is up to 1.39 just for good measure. >It is nice having the MCH Read Delay capability (Common>Performance) on the X48 board.>>I am not sure how safe it is to try to o'c an FSB using more v>in the parameters it is controlled by in the BIOS. Maybe I'll>research it some more n see what is tolerable by my X48, at>least for short hops!>>NoelYou've done more tweaking than I have with the P5E3 Premium.I'm presently at 400 FSB, at the spec of 1600 on the memory--Does your Mushkin memory have XMP profiles in it? Or is this only a function of some mem manufacturers?RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB