Sign in to follow this  
Yoda967

JustFlight/Aeroplane Heaven Tiger Moth?

Has anybody got this yet? Any word on whether it's worth the $43?

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

. . One can buy a tremendous RealAir Spitfire 14 c/w Duxford airfield and AI aircraft for the same:http://www.realairsimulations.com/spitxiv0...xiv_screenshots. .a highly-detailed SAAB Safir for U$25:http://www.sibwings.com/. .and an unbelievably real Dornier D0-27 for about the same $25:http://www.digital-aviation.de/crjsite/l_h..._do27_main.htmlI hafta say I need as close to photo-realism as I can get - and (for me)the cockpit looks kind-of "cartoon-ish" - as if merely made "adequate", perhaps for Combat Flight Sim 3. Same with their Lanc. I would have them both if they were payware quality, as they're both absolutely classic aeroplanes.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I downloaded a nice Tiger Moth by John Woodside for free from the AVSIM library. The file name is dh82tgm2.zip (I think). Try it first.

Guest davidvoogd

I bought it, it's fairly well done but whether or not it's worth it comes down to how much you like Tiger Moths.The flight dynamics are quite good, at least of how I think a Moth would fly, the VC's are very detailed and seem to use a tech similar to Realair. There are several different versions and repaints included. The sounds are pretty good too. The models are quite detailed, you can see the control cables moving around.The quality is nearly as good as realair and the others, there are a few minor things that could use polish, the Canadian / D version's VC could use a bit more work.I'd say it's definately worth $30, but at $50 I'd only get it if you really like biplanes and other older aircraft. For the price they have I would have hoped for a bit more functionality such as a maintenance module or something along those lines.

Guest davidvoogd

I live near the Canadian Warplane Museum (The D model in the Justflight package is based on their moth), I know they offer flights, not sure if they do on the tiger moth but I may look into it.

Guest biplaneflyer

Remember Justflight sell and price to the UK market - blame your government/history/whoever for the US dollar being week. Having said that for the price one could have expected a little more - would have like to see some more functionbality i.e. like the Dornier & Saab, would have liked have seen a few more variants i.e. cropsprayer, glider tug, wingwalker, floatplane, skiplane, for the price and maybe a little scenewry i.e. DH Moth Rally -Woburn. There are one or two glitches i.e. rev counter doesn't function properly in VC mode in one version and the Canadian version looks has though it's been a bit rushed. Probably the best Moth out there - if you want to pay the price -but plenty of freeware to choose from i.e. Bill Lyons, Warwick Carters and John Woodsides. Would only recommend if you are a die-hard Tiger Moth fan. Now when is someone going to do a proper Moth?

I bought the Aeroplane Heaven Lancaster through JustFlight and it was really, really bad. (And at $45, a complete rip-off.) Low detail, blurry textures, no VC in the majority of the models, and a CPU pig as well. (Not to mention the tech bugs.) The Mosquito that came "free" with it wasn't worth flying for more than two minutes. The VC looked like something out of CFS2. The Lancaster was a 150 meg DL. I think the patch that was just released is almost the same size. That says a lot about the quality of the product.I asked for a refund and got one from JustFlight. Very nice people there and very good customer service.I'd sure as shoot wait until some reviews hit the forums before I give AH any cash ever again.

Gene Davis just reviewed the Lanc re; the Avsim home page today - and seemed to rave about it. I had a look at it and thought the same as you did, Canada One. "Cartoon-ish" and CFS 3 keep coming to mind. In one of the VC screenshots - looking up/left from where a co-pilot's left ankle might be - you can actually see the a compass and (what I think is) the Beam Approach Bombing System direction indicator. You can see there is no "body" to either instrument! Only the faces are present! The VC is not the greatest. Folks with TrackIR will jump all over this. The Tiger looks to be the same. Great exterior details; super paint job; rivets; panel lines - really good looking - then you go inside and see the most basic modelling of the one part that you spend most time looking at!! Naaaahh... Digital Aviation; DreamFleet; Carenado; MAAMsim; SibWings; Level-D; FSD-I; These Guys have all WORKED for my money, and when the price is approaching $50 or $60 - these guys have the quality I look for in an addon aeroplane.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hey Paul J,I read that review. He seems to like the plane a lot. Well, more power to him. I wish I could share his enjoyment of the Lancaster. I was looking forward to that plane for months.I gauge the success of my add-on purchases by a simple criteria - do they make me smile. When I loaded up the Captain Sim F-104 and saw that gleaming high res RCAF skin, I was grining from ear to ear. When I loaded up the FZ02 Portland scenery, same thing, big smile and wide eyes. The Shockwave P-51 hit me less hard, but I still knew right away I was going to have some fun.When I loaded up the Aeroplane Heaven Lancaster, my jaw dropped, my heart sank, and my very first thought was, "I paid $45 for this?" That reaction took about two seconds and it never went away. I put a lot of credit into first reactions. If we're going to pay good money for add-ons, I insist on a good first impression. There has to be something that grabs you right away and lets you know you're about to have some good flying fun. The Lancaster was completely devoid of any such first impression. For $45 I want the/any payware to grab me and tell straight off, "Congratulations, you got me. Now let's fly!" I don't want to have to go searching for excuses to have bought it.But I will say as I did before, (as I will in every post about the Lancaster) that I received excellent customer service From JustFlight and was given a full refund as per their stated policy.

Yup. . I had that feeling you describe with the Dornier; with the Safir; with the DF 727 and with the RA Spit. It's such a darned shame, 'cause the Lanc deserves better. I was immediately suspicious of the cockpit detail.. none of it looks "right" somehow. Do you have MAAM-Sims B25 by any chance? This was my first payware aircraft, and I was stunned. I couldn't believe the realism of the 3D cockpit - nor the noise. It clatters and grunts and rumbles and farts and creaks. It is just beautiful to just walk around while she's warming. It's a real aeroplane. It's alive! I use the light version for AI, too, at Rhode Island Quonset Point airbase. (That scenery, too was an eye-opener. Couldn't believe the detail!) . . . but that's what you have to have. There's a huge kick of anticipation, an expectation of pleasure to come when you download and open up a new package for the first time. When it doesn't happen - you feel "taken", and it just ruins the whole experience. This - buying a new candy bar - is a big part of the hobby for a lot of people, I think.Cheers,

>This - buying a new candy bar - is a big part of>the hobby for a lot of people, I think.>Ain't that the truthful statement of the year. The problem with the Lancaster, straight off, was the horrid skin that came with it. I'm curious who the boob was who thought putting 1998 detail textures on a 2006 premium price payware plane (PPPP?)was a good busines move. Did they really think no one was going to notice that the $45 plane they just bought looks like a freeware add-on for CFS1?There are some hardcore engine managent types who will think eye candy is nice but not essential to a good payware plane. They may be right. At least who am I to say they are wrong? But at $45, which is, IMHO, a super-premium price, the plane should look good as well as having a good FM. For $30 I've bought planes that not only fly well, but have gorgeous gleaming skins and excellent VCs (CS C-130 for example). My Shockwave P-51 cost less than $30 and it's a peach inside and out and has a great FM by all accounts. Heck, I've DL freeware that looks great, flies well and has a nice VC. So for $45 the plane had better look like a diamond - The Lancater looks like a lump of coal and doesn't even have a VC in most models. Seriously, who is the boob who thought people wanted to fly a $45 Lancaster with a virtual radio station but no virtual cockpit? Knock-knock... hello?I don't know if Aeroplane Heaven hires the grahically challenged or it they just think they can slap a high end cost on a low end plane and we'll buy it because "Oh... for $45 it must be good!", but I will never buy one of their planes again until I read lots of reviews in the forums.As always though... Just Flight = excellent customer service.

Thanks, all.The various merits of Just Flight notwithstanding, I bought the Moth. She comes with 6 models, each with four "seating choices": pilot front, passenger rear; pilot rear, passenger front; pilot rear, no front passenger in VC; and single pilot in the rear cockpit.The model is rendered beautifully, at least in the military trainer that I flew yesterday. The guages appear smooth, but then, the airplane is so docile that it would be hard to stress them to the point of "slide show".I couldn't get the engine to start from the VC without using CTRL-E, but that's not something I consider terribly unrealistic. Fuel valve open, mixture full rich, throttle closed, switches on, and swing the prop...makes perfect sense.Taxiing wasn't difficult, at all, once you get the hang of the lack of brakes. Opening up the throttle for takeoff, you'll find she doesn't "rip" down the runway, but that's to be expected, too: this was a basic trainer.Hand flying was pretty easy, though I'd never want to attempt it without rudder pedals. The Moth is definitely not a frame rate hog, but considering the simplicity of her systems, this is easy to understand.We took off from Oceanside Muni and headed down the coast towards San Diego. The hardest part of flying the Moth is the VFR navigation, though with Ultimate Terrain USA, the roads and water features marked on the Los Angeles Sectional are there, and the most difficult aspect of it is the constant attention required. TrackIR is a real help!I found it to be a lot of fun...far different from the rest of the flying I do...and I'm planning to "wring my money's worth out of it" by making a transcontinental flight.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200