Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Jeppesen SimCharts - lifetime worldwide access

I was just perusing the Jeppesen site, and stumbled across their SimCharts page. Was really surprised to find they have rather significantly changed their marketing strategy from their old policy of selling regions separately and only for a 1-year subscription.Their site now advertises lifetime worldwide online access to their SID/STAR/approach charts for a one-time fee of US $42. That looks pretty reasonable to me.Anyone using this service yet? Is there a catch?http://www.jeppesen.com/simchartsRegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm buyin.Dirk.

Hi,Thanks for the head up!I just ordered, but don't have access yet.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Great find.Those ordering, please let us know what you think.$42 is more than worth it to not have to play ChartHunt! before many flights.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest wji

Thank you for drawing this to our attention. I no longer fly realworld so the (outdated) SimChart CDs still work for me -- I have ten of them. [/font size]List available upon requestSee also: Maptech] MapServer Maptech's free online resource for previewing Topographic Maps, Nautical Charts, Coastal Aerial Photos and Aeronautical Charts[/b.Maptech also publishes IAPs in PDF format and I own these on CD. It's unlikely I will run out of charts or plates any time soon.=========

Guest JTEK99

Well, the new SimCharts doesn't work with FS9, but if I make the transition to FSX, it will be a sure buy.I love SimCharts (for FS9) and use it all the time; it's great to be able to look up approach charts, etc. on the fly AND be assured that they match their counterparts in the sim. PLUS I get to see a 'track' of my flight overlaid on the charts. AND if I really want to print ANY of the charts out, SimCharts lets me do this quickly and easily. Absolute no-brainer for solo-flying, though not absolutely useful for VATSIM/IVAO flying due to the info being dated.Anyway, I'm anxious to hear from former SimCharts users who purchase the new version and whether it's equal or greater in features. Apparently Jeppesen wasn't selling much of the FSX version so they changed their "1-year" access pass to a "lifetime" pass.

Personally I find the Navigraph chart service suits my purpose as I can get the charts I need for the areas of the world I fly in - usually Europe, Africa and the USA. The airports and regional charts are updated regularlyJohn

Anyone who as purchaed it, does it make available charts for closed airports... Kai Tak (the ol VHHH or now VHHX) in particular?thxClutchProject 9Dragons

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

>Personally I find the Navigraph chart service suits my>purpose as I can get the charts I need for the areas of the>world I fly in - usually Europe, Africa and the USA. The>airports and regional charts are updated regularlyIt's an option if you want to fly to a place Navigraph covers. They don't have a single approach plate for Chile (and many other places), unfortunately.Plus, you only get a one-time download of a particular airfield from NaviGraph. If you want to update the charts later, it costs you more credits.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Navigraph seems good, but to be quite honest, I'm not interested as much in regular updates as I am with overall completeness. *Personal Opinion Alert !*I honestly feel that this need to update with every cycle actually does more harm than good. We're in a situation now where navdata and procedure files are so out of sync, I wonder what's the point ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

Just got the new SimCharts 4.0 fired up here.The charts are dated (2003-2005 vintage), probably based on the same dataset used to build the FSX scenery bgls. No idea if there will be any updates, but suspect not.No Kai-Tek...has the current VHHH airport.I'll still be using the current charts from the FAA NACO site for US flying, but the jepp charts have some things the FAA data doesn't have, like gate charts. And in those places where the airports haven't changed too much, the color Jepps are nicer than the B&W FAA plates. For international flying it provides coverage I don't otherwise have.The integrated chart viewer only works with FSX, but there is also a standalone viewer that can be launched without running FSX.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

So it could be run then on a separate PC for viewing ?Thanks for taking a look :)

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest neslesman

I'm going to look into it a bit more but if it works on my second computer I'm getting it. I don't even want to be up to date if FS9 isn't. I'm always looking for terminal charts, I'm not organized enough and I spend more time looking than flying then they don't agree with FS9 anyway. I still haven't found a set of VFR sectionals for North America, anyone have a good source.

That's exactly the way I feel. Only my opinion of course, but it seems that the online flying community is what drives this incessant update cycle, and as such, things are never quite in sync.I personally wish VATSIM, IVAO, etc would just standardize a bit, pick a cycle, preferably one that matches as closely as possible a stock FS install, and stick with it. So much more could get done by people individually writing procedures, etc, if they didn't have to worry about updating/checking them every 4 weeks.Not to mention, it seems that when an AIRAC is released, by the time all corrections, etc are made, it's time to release the next...and on it goes.

Regards,

Brian Doney

>I still haven't found a set of VFR sectionals for North America, anyone have a good source.Have you tried http://www.myairplane.com/Pretty sure that's what everyone else uses for VFR

Clarke Kruger - CYEG