Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rocky

AI Traffic Sound

Yesterday I was flying with heavy AI traffic. I was at the runway holding point when an aircraft was taking off. Sitting in the cockpit (2D panel view), I heard nothing... When the same thing happens in real life, you can hear the other aircraft taking off, even from inside the cabin.Looking deeper into this, I realized that I never hear any AI traffic sound from the cockpit (and I hear light sounds when in SPOT view). Did I miss something in the fs9 configuration? Should I update the AI sound with sounds I can download here?Any help is welcome.Eric

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Indeed, it works much better with these sounds, and also because I have increased to "Environment" sound volume in the sound settings.You might think I'm never happy, but I had another problem: I was following an aircraft that was taxiing and could hear it, perfect. But when it took off, I was hearing the same sound fading away. No sound modulation or power increase to simulate the take off power of the engines.Did I miss something here or is it an FS2004 limitation?(FYI, I use the Traffic add-on from Just Flight)Thanks,Eric

Hi,you will find no freeware AI Sounds with Spool-up or reverse sounds. There are 1 or 2 payware add ons available with AI tarffic sound incl. Spool-up sound and reverser sound (FSHotSeat).As far as I know it is very difficult to create such sounds in a fast way. You have to edit and programm a lot of things to make this work. It's not that easy

FSHotSeat looks interesting, but a little expensive. But I think I will buy it, thanks for the info !!Eric

Eric,May I suggest you just get it's little "sister" program called FSHotSFX. It is for just AI sounds which you seek and is less expensive than FSHotSeat.Two little F.Y.I's. I use the program and like it but keep in mind:1. - There is little or no support for this project from what I remember.2. - It does tend to have an issue of playing sounds late (or maybe early?) such as when you watch an AI aircraft land. Despite those things it is still pretty good as you will hear things like the spool-ups and when an aircraft flies overhead landing. It is also directional so if an aircraft is left of you you will hear it from your left side. Never tried any of the freeware addons here so I can't comment on them.Clutch

I thought FSHotSFX was for FSX and I'm still using FS2004.But maybe I'm wrong here...I should avoid the confusion between SFX and FSX :)Thanks for the info anyway.Eric

FSHotFX is known to cause conflicts with many other add-on programs due to the way it interacts with fsuipc.Also if the product's development and support has been discontinued and the developers have vanished, I would strongly recommend against buying it.

Eric:What in that thread discouraged you. I may have missed something but after reading the whole thing again I think I'm going to give FSHotSFX a shot. I hate that AI silence -- one of the only things in FS9 that REALLY bugs me.

Well, I am afraid the site is still here but nobody is behind it. I wouldn't like to pay for a key that I will never have. And I'm afraid there is no support any more.As this add-on is quite old, I'm scared that it doesn't work with recent add-ons or with the recent version of FSUIPC that I have. And I couldn't find the demo version...If you want to take the risk and buy it, please let me know :)Eric

Will do. 18 bucks? I just lost $250 on some "high performance" memory that crapped out after 3 months! $18 for the chance to fix the silent AI issue is a small price to pay.

OK, you're right.Please let me know if everything goes fine. If you get your key in time after payment, I will also buy it.Eric

>I hate that AI silence -- one>of the only things in FS9 that REALLY bugs me.Totally agree, Chuck.I wonder if you would be kind enough to post your findings should you decide to make the "investment" ?Gary

Well, I had a question about the download link on their website -- you have to download it here at AVSIM or FlightSim, and my email was answered within an hour. That's good news.One myth disspelles!to come . . .

Well, just sitting at 14R at O'Hare with engines off and AI at 90%. That's all I've had time to do so far, and I will report that: it doesn't suck! MUCH more realistic than that silent world I was flying in earlier today. I'll fly a full blow circuit or two with all my addons running tomorrow night and report back, but so far, it's fairly cool.And my ActiveRadar seems to work just fine with it -- just fine indeed, but we'll see. I also have to try it while running ProFlight Emulator, FSPassengers, and Flight Deck Companion at the same time. That should be an interesting test of the robustness of the program!More to come.

ChuckDid you read my reply to your earlier comment above?Just like with RC, PFE will not work properly either due to the change FSHotSFX makes to FSUIPC.ini file.If you can live with the fact your radio chatter is defunct, good for you!

In this thread there is reference to another thread and I was one of the posters there. I was made aware of another email adress to get in contact with the developer and was happy that it worked. However, after that I haven't been able to get any new keys and haven't used the program for a long time. It sure is a real pity because it is indeed a wonderful program, especially if you like me enjoy just parking the airplane close the runway at a busy airport.I did have some issues with the sounds from aircraft around me disapperaring when at a certain angle but apart from that and the RC compatibility problem, I enjoyed the program very much.

Well, while taxiing and waiting for clearance the AI identification problem in Radar Contact IS there, but they call my A/C name OK, and I was surprised at how little it actually bothered me. The advance setting in FSUIPC is easily switched back to the proper setting during flight, so I'm not sure how much of a deterrent this should be. The basic wav sounds are timed pretty accurately in my system, with spool ups AND the proper Doppler effect, and THAT's VERY cool to hear the planes next to you taking off and landing, but they're not nearly loud enough for me, IMHO. Again, not really a problem: I will just adjust them at some time in the future easily enough with Audacity (I just wish I didn't have to do it.)No frame rate hit at all. My one simple question about how to download the program sent to customer service was answered within an hour, so that was a relief.Extra sounds, i.e. brakes, flaps, spoilers, etc. are very cool, but most are either already included in other addons I own like FSPassengers, FDC Live Cockpit, or in the aircraft's sound.cfg itself, so I'm not sure how much value those are to me. The main attraction for me, then, remains the AI sounds.All in all, yeah, I'm glad I bought it and now have it, but actually, I thought it would have much more of an impact on my simming experience than it did. I think I'll be more excited about this once I turn the volumes up on the wav files. (Anybody know how to do this as a batch job on 55 or so wav files in Audacity, so I don't have to do them one by one?)So, if you're not really strapped for money and don't mind paying $18.00 for what appears to be the only viable solution to this FS9 issue, and don't mind hacking around with it a little, I would recommend it for you. If money's a bit of an issue for you and you want to choose between this product and, say a good scenery or aircraft, I would suggest you take a pass on FShotSFX and get the sweet scenery instead.

Hi,Make sure the three volume sliders are all the way up in FSHotSFX.One way to turn up the volume is to edit the AIBlast.ini file (name is from memory). Try changing the volumes of the default wav file names first. This will affect the "universal" sounds. Later, for each aircraft type you can specify which wav files are played, and at what volume (even over 100%).More details on this at the web site:http://www.fshotseat.com/AIBlast.asp#Custo...IBlast%20SoundsHope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Thanks for that tip, Tom.And I'm going to amend my previous opinion about FSHotSFX and say that it most certainly great! Now that I've tweaked the volumes a bit, this program is just great, even with the RC issues.I mean, even a great program like Radar Contact isn't perfect, and the FSUIPC fix works like a charm. I HIGHLY recommend FSHotSFX!!

Have you got 'Traffic View Board' installed, you can watch the ai the full length of the flight and hear the ai sounds no problem.Play with the sliders till it sound OK.