Sign in to follow this  
Guest 56th_Angel_Dust

Continental crash upstate New York

Just listened to the audio recording of ATC from this incident. There do appear to be one or two things of note, although nothing dramatically so. Aircraft on the same ATC frequency are reporting rime ice accretions down through to about 2,300 feet on the approach to 23, which is the runway Colgan 3407 was intercepting the localiser for when contact was lost. One aircraft subsequently reports a minor fluctuation in the ILS localiser to that same runway at 1,500 feet, but the crew of Colgan 3407 do not seem troubled by anything of that nature judging by the ATC conversation, and a localiser deviation would only put it off the centerline of course, and not into the terrain. There have also been reports of someone on the ground seeing Colgan 3407 with an engine on fire, but it seems doubtful to me in view of the lack of anything out of the ordinary on ATC.At this point it's obviously going to be mostly speculation as to the cause of the accident, although clearly some sort of icing incident would be the obvious first avenue of investigation, so the flight data recorder, if it survived the impact, is likely to provide the best source of information for the NTSB. Icing is of course a big problem at this time of year and more so for regional aircraft than for the heavies; regional types spend a good deal more time in the flight regime where picking up ice is most likely.I just hope it is not a repeat of a couple of known problems which relate to that, and which are prevalent on regional types because of the altitudes they fly at. Namely, the aircraft picking up ice on the tailplane, which goes unnoticed by the crew while they fly on autopilot, which compensates for it; then, when they come off autopilot for the approach, the stick pushes forward rapidly and is jammed in that position by the ice, thus cannot be pulled back by the crew to recover the aircraft. NASA have done a lot of research on this incidentally and there are quite a few warnings and educational videos provided by them for regional aircraft aircrews, so one would hope this is not the cause, but clearly it will be something the NTSB people will consider. Another icing problem which might also be considered is one similar to the cause of the notorious American Eagle ATR-72 crash, Flight 4148, which flew through supercooled rain and picked up ice accretions sufficient to overcome the de-icing boot capabilities of the aircraft, causing it to depart from controlled flight.Whatever the cause, like all air crashes it is very sad indeed, and we can only hope that in some way it leads to a better understanding of things, and greater safety in future. Condolences to the victim's families.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

This ability to click on a link and hear the ATC tapes for an accident that just happend is new to me (I've been flying since 1974). I wasn't prepared for the sadness and grief I felt when I listened. God knows I've had moments of real concern watching the ice build up on my unprotected wing when I flew AF aeroclub Pipers, and still I get anxious when we have to use the boots on the Chancellor. I've read many a transcript of the tapes in AW&ST for years, but this ability to listen so close to event makes it seem much more personal, and powerful. I presume they were too occupied to check in with tower, by then they had a problem and they were doing first thing first (fly the airplane). Thanks for giving me a place to share this. Very sad.

Dan Downs KCRP

I just hope it is not a repeat of a couple of known problems which relate to that, and which are prevalent on regional types because of the altitudes they fly at. Namely, the aircraft picking up ice on the tailplane, which goes unnoticed by the crew while they fly on autopilot, which compensates for it; then, when they come off autopilot for the approach, the stick pushes forward rapidly and is jammed in that position by the ice, thus cannot be pulled back by the crew to recover the aircraft. NASA have done a lot of research on this incidentally and there are quite a few warnings and educational videos provided by them for regional aircraft aircrews, so one would hope this is not the cause, but clearly it will be something the NTSB people will consider.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2238323060735779946scott s..

No one really knows, as eyewitness reports in so many situations are worth nothing. It was likely snowing and the other aircraft flying through the same spot reported ice and IMC. I wouldn't put any stock in an eyewitness in the dark with this WX. I will wait until some actual data from NTSB sources come out to see why it might have happened. Whatever it was happened quick, as nothing on the ATC tapes sounds stressful when Rebecca Shaw, the FO radioed her last message to maintain 2300 feet until LOC intercept and subsequent handoff to 120.5 (tower).I've read the Dash 8 usually plows right through icing like nothing. It's a sad day, and yes Dan, hearing her voice makes the ATC tape even more depressing. My condolences are with all the families who lost loved ones as a result. The captain, Marvin Renslow has two children, and the FO, Rebecca Shaw (only 24), was married just two years ago.I used Google Earth to locate KLUMP (LOM for ILS 23) and found the address of the house that was hit and marked them. Here is a screen capture of the two locations:colgan01qy3.jpgHere is a picture of Rebecca Shaw, taken from here http://www.komonews.com/news/39561867.htmlrebeccashawza8.jpg

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

Wow after watching that nasa video and listening to all the reports it sound like this is exactly what happened. My thoughts and prayers to the FamiliesGaryPS anyway to mimic it in FSX?

My condolences go out to all families of this incident. I also pray that people in the neighborhood will recover fast. This is a very sad accident.Does anyone know if wing/horizontal stabilizer anti-ice was on (if the Q300 has it) before entering in the ice storm? Although I don't like to ask questions in times like this, I can't help my curiosity.

My condolences go out to all families of this incident. I also pray that people in the neighborhood will recover fast. This is a very sad accident.Does anyone know if wing/horizontal stabilizer anti-ice was on (if the Q300 has it) before entering in the ice storm? Although I don't like to ask questions in times like this, I can't help my curiosity.
Actually this was a Q400 and had only been in service since April of 2008. Here is a link to FlightAware's page regarding Colgan Flight 3407:http://flightaware.com/news/article/Colgan...use--50-dead/95The bottom link takes you to the Airliners.net picture of the actual plane.As far as anti-ice/de-ice goes, there's no way for anyone to know if or when the crew turned those systems on. We'll have to wait for the FDR/CVR data to find out what they were doing and if they even responded to a problem before going down. From the initial reports, TRACON didn't seem to have any real PIREP info of icing and it wasn't until after 3407 went missing that the controller asked for WX conditions from pilots in the immediate area.Readings I've seen suggest both pilots were professional and capable at their job. The FO, albeit young, was even a CFI at one time. The captain had flown SAABs prior to the Dash 8 I guess. Whether it was tail icing or what, if that was the problem, their altitude was low for upset recovery. We just need to wait.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

As far as anti-ice/de-ice goes, there's no way for anyone to know if or when the crew turned those systems on. We'll have to wait for the FDR/CVR data to find out what they were doing and if they even responded to a problem before going down.
Actually earlier today CNN broadcast the NTSB press conference and the NTSB official stated that they had already performed a quick review of the flight data recorder and it showed that the anti-ice system had been on for some time but he did state that did not confirm if the system was working. The flight data recorder only recorded that the switch was on. He also stated that the crew remarked about ice on the windshield and wings several minutes before the crash.Todd

Actually earlier today CNN broadcast the NTSB press conference and the NTSB official stated that they had already performed a quick review of the flight data recorder and it showed that the anti-ice system had been on for some time but he did state that did not confirm if the system was working. The flight data recorder only recorded that the switch was on. He also stated that the crew remarked about ice on the windshield and wings several minutes before the crash.Todd
I'm surprised this was released so soon after. Usually they don't reveal much if anything until all data is collected. I would expect anti-ice to be on though, but as I said, we won't know a real cause until down the road.It does sound as though they were downed as a result of ice though. They might not have been aggressive enough in preventing ice build up and/or removing any ice accretion. I know ice is hard to remove though and you gotta be on the ball when encountering it. The description of severe pitch and roll movements seems to suggest that selecting flaps 15 disrupted the air flow and a loss of lift occurred. It's possible that they were on autopilot which in a lot of icing conditions is poor practice because you can't feel the control surfaces changing response. Those videos posted regarding icing described all this stuff and it certainly fits this scenario. And I said I wouldn't speculate. :(

- Chris

I'm surprised this was released so soon after. Usually they don't reveal much if anything until all data is collected. I would expect anti-ice to be on though, but as I said, we won't know a real cause until down the road.It does sound as though they were downed as a result of ice though. They might not have been aggressive enough in preventing ice build up and/or removing any ice accretion. I know ice is hard to remove though and you gotta be on the ball when encountering it. The description of severe pitch and roll movements seems to suggest that selecting flaps 15 disrupted the air flow and a loss of lift occurred. It's possible that they were on autopilot which in a lot of icing conditions is poor practice because you can't feel the control surfaces changing response. Those videos posted regarding icing described all this stuff and it certainly fits this scenario. And I said I wouldn't speculate. :(
Or is it possible the Pitot Tube was iced and they thought they were going faster then they were, and when they dropped the flaps and gear they dropped below stall speed, and was unable to recover?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Or is it possible the Pitot Tube was iced and they thought they were going faster then they were, and when they dropped the flaps and gear they dropped below stall speed, and was unable to recover?
From all reports it sounds like classic icing-possibly tail plane.One of the things at least I have been taught-is lowering the gear and flaps in that condition can cause the problem to suddenly get bad. The fact (at least reported) that they put the gear and flaps back up leads me to believe this was in fact the situation.Also-isn't this plane booted? My plane -though not certified known ice (cause I don't have an electric windshield) is booted.The boots do the job-sorta, sometimes, and with particular ice types. Don't do so well in clear ice where the whole airframe can get covered.The only time I have ever had clear ice was on the north side of the great lakes (erie in my case) where supercooled water droplets can form-and very fast-in seconds! Could be they ran into some of that being just on the other side of Lake Ontario.

From all reports it sounds like classic icing-possibly tail plane.One of the things at least I have been taught-is lowering the gear and flaps in that condition can cause the problem to suddenly get bad. The fact (at least reported) that they put the gear and flaps back up leads me to believe this was in fact the situation.Also-isn't this plane booted? My plane -though not certified known ice (cause I don't have an electric windshield) is booted.The boots do the job-sorta, sometimes, and with particular ice types. Don't do so well in clear ice where the whole airframe can get covered.The only time I have ever had clear ice was on the north side of the great lakes (erie in my case) where supercooled water droplets can form-and very fast-in seconds! Could be they ran into some of that being just on the other side of Lake Ontario.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_y...15115506AAHPQ6GPretty interesting response, and talks about some of the things you mentioned. I think this guy may be right. If the autopilot was disengaged with icing, it would be very hard to control with extreme trim. I also heard today that the NTSB found that the plane dropped straight down (complete stall) and lost more than 800 FT in 5 seconds. Sounds to me like flaps and gear caused the pitch of the plane to change, resulting in high angle of attack, because during approach, planes are very low speeds. The wings must have stalled and I'm guessing the tail did too with all this talk about icing on the horizontal stabilizer.Although I do not like to make bad speculations, maybe the pilots were not aggressive enough on preventing ice, or maybe the engaged it too late. I guess we will have to wait and see though to get the right answer though, because there are many different factors including the possibility of a failure of the anti-ice system.