Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badaboom

FS Genesis?

Hello,I recently purchased Aerosoft's "Airports of Mexico"scenery package which is very good,and I was looking to add some mesh detail for Mexico.I found that FS Genesis has it at a very good price,but I can't find any preview shots or gallery to view a sample of it.If anyone is familiar with FS Genesis how is it? Is The Mexico scenery good?Do you know of any links with previews?Thanks very much!/Patrick/

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

i have FS Genesis mesh and i think it is a fantastic addon. Justin is working on eliminating all the airport plateau's, i think he is doing alaska and hawaii right now. it makes a big difference over the default mesh.

Another yes for FSGenesis. A must have in my opinion, especially in mountainous areas. Also check out the freeware Mexico City package at OZx.

a long time ago i purchased the lifetime membership and have never been happier. it got me fs9 addons and now fsx addons. justin deserves the business, it must take up so much of his time. everyone buy into his membership!!

a long time ago i purchased the lifetime membership and have never been happier. it got me fs9 addons and now fsx addons. justin deserves the business, it must take up so much of his time. everyone buy into his membership!!
I'll chime in "pro" FSGenesis as well. I bought a lifetime "galaxy" membership 5 or more years ago for $100 and that was a very sound investment. Justin seems dedicated to the product and has provided innovative features.

That's great!!! Thank you very much for the feedback,looks like by the overwhelming support you guy's have shown that FS Genesis is a real winner,I'm off to make my purchase :( Thank You!

That's great!!! Thank you very much for the feedback,looks like by the overwhelming support you guy's have shown that FS Genesis is a real winner,I'm off to make my purchase :( Thank You!
I've been using FSGenesis mesh for years...Justin is a strobe light in the addon business. You can't go wrong.

Same here. Great addon mesh and great guy. -jk
I couldn't agree more. His mesh is all over both my FS9 and FSX installations. Cheers,Alex ChristoffBaltimore, MD
Same here. Great addon mesh and great guy. -jk
I couldn't agree more. His mesh is all over both my FS9 and FSX installations. Cheers,Alex ChristoffBaltimore, MD

Ive never really looked too seriously at mesh add ons but Ive been a simmer for over 10 years. Can you guys shed some light on why it makes your simming experience so much better? Im considering (again) to invest in FSGenesis.

Ive never really looked too seriously at mesh add ons but Ive been a simmer for over 10 years. Can you guys shed some light on why it makes your simming experience so much better? Im considering (again) to invest in FSGenesis.
one reason only, it makes the rounded default FSX mountains look like real mountains and not like big hills. remember thisthe default mesh in FSX is 38M and you are going to 10 M with FSGenesis. so instead of reading one elevation point every 38 meters, you are getting almost 4 per 38 meters with the FSG mesh. i'm sure once you have it and fly in any area where there are mountains you will be impressed. in my area i fly near the Appalachian mountain range, in FSX they just looked like rounded hills and they really are more then that in most places, the new mesh made it look 100% better. Justin has my vote for a great product.

Let's be fair, there is a downside to having detailed terrain mesh: it's a strain for computer systems that might already be stressed for resources. If you have a lower-end system, you might have problems with a new mesh. For that matter, only so much data can fit onto the FSX disks, so much of the world has a "low" resolution of terrain in the default sim. Overall, though, FSX terrain has a higher resolution than in FS9.However, if you have lots of system overhead, especially free hard drive space, then a mesh is a fine investment. FSGenesis has proven to be a high quality product over the years, and Justin has been tireless in trying to fix the issues of "airport plateaus". This issue is caused by incongruity between FSX elevation data and the terrain mesh data (which is much newer and more precise), as well as the need for the land that FSX airports sit on to be perfectly flat. It's not an issue that is easy for the average user to fix on their own.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Thanks guysThat's what I was thinking mesh did; you would think I know more about this being familiar with GIS and all... :-)I use FS9 98% of the time since Im running a full size home LJ45 sim but I know one day FSX will be running once I upgrade my current very awesome FS9 machine to 'very awesome' FSX status...That said, would it be worth it for my FS9 install still? Most flights, while corporate/private, are still held at high altitudes.

But Jeff, the problem with the FSX mesh, even if it is more detailed, whatever than thFS9, is that few people enjoy the ubiquitous desert textures we inherited from FSX. Desert in Hawaii? So for no other reason than to replace these awful textures, pay the modest fee.

Let's be fair, there is a downside to having detailed terrain mesh: it's a strain for computer systems that might already be stressed for resources. If you have a lower-end system, you might have problems with a new mesh. For that matter, only so much data can fit onto the FSX disks, so much of the world has a "low" resolution of terrain in the default sim. Overall, though, FSX terrain has a higher resolution than in FS9.However, if you have lots of system overhead, especially free hard drive space, then a mesh is a fine investment. FSGenesis has proven to be a high quality product over the years, and Justin has been tireless in trying to fix the issues of "airport plateaus". This issue is caused by incongruity between FSX elevation data and the terrain mesh data (which is much newer and more precise), as well as the need for the land that FSX airports sit on to be perfectly flat. It's not an issue that is easy for the average user to fix on their own.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Let me add that the FSGenesis mesh is an excellent product for use worldwide. What mesh does is it makes the sim look like the real world. In other words, if you put your plane in a place you know well, the surrounding hills, mountains, valleys and elevations will look familiar to you. In some of the default mesh in FSX, especially outside of the U.S., the rounded off hills do not look at all like real world.The issue of airport plateaus and, worse, holes is a drawback to using real world elevations. FSX has wrong elevation data on a number of airports, particularly outside of the U.S. This is compounded by MS's frustrating unwillingness to allow runways to conform to the underlying mesh terrain. Instead they must be perfectly flat (and unrealistic) at a specified altitude, which means that with real mesh one end of the runway or the other (or both) is going to have a cliff associated with it in landscape which is not flat. Justin is working on fixing these transitions from the mesh to the airports, but with 24,000+ airports, it is a slow process to do them individually.Just think how much easier this all would have been if the runways automatically conformed to the terrain they were placed on! So, we make the best of what we have, and I personally believe detailed mesh adds a lot to the experience.You are right that better terrain mesh doesn't make much difference at the flight levels, and if that is most of your flying (major airport to FL310 to major airport), then detailed mesh won't change that experience as much.Ben

Now that we are broadening the topic, mesh and textures are two totally different things. Like bread and butter, they go together, but they are distinct and different. All a mesh does is provide three-dimensional data for the polygonal model of the Earth. The terrain is based on textures, which is different. "Desertification" doesn't have to do with altitude in FSX, it has to do with landclass. Certainly, FSX uses outdated, incorrect, or oversimplified data for both mesh and landclass, which results in rounded mountains in some parts of the world, and a great number of inappropriate deserts. The only parts of FSX where mesh directly affects landclass, as far as I know, are steep mountain slopes and water (although that goes to waterclass files). Landclass data is much different from mesh data, in that landclass is algorythmic, and can be stored in a much smaller file than mesh. A global landclass file does not need a half dozen DVD's worth of storage space, whereas a good mesh can be require that space or more.Landclass has a similar downside to mesh, though, in that if you are covering a continental (or larger) area, there are bound to be errors that ultimately need to be corrected by hand. Fortunately, it's a lot easier for the average user to correct a landlclass error on their own than a mesh error. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM