Sign in to follow this  
Guest mephix

Skysimulations Douglas DC9

It doesn't need fixing because it isn't broken, the DC-9, like many other aircraft of its era, has a Sperry SP-50 autopilot, which doesn't actually have an altitude hold function, you have to set the altitude alerter, manually drive it to that altitude and then adjust its vertical speed so that it stays where you want it.I've not noticed the high speed stall happening on mine, seems okay to me, but I could just be lucky in that.Al
I understand that. Maybe I should have emphasized the vertical speed drifting when it is set to 0. Is that normal?I think some .cfg tweaking could help the stall speed when dirty. I'll post if I can figure anything out. Happy you haven't experienced the problem. I've been landing flaps 40 at 165 kts just to keep from stalling.

Anthony Cacciatore

Yup, it is normal to have to adjust the pitch to maintain altitude because the fuel will burn off as you fly and alter the required trim settings as the aircraft gets lighter, try putting elevator 'trim up' and 'trim down' keys on a couple of joystick buttons and blipping those to get it to settle down.Are you sure you are at a suitable landing weight? If you are over the landing weight you'll need to keep the speed on with that tiny DC-9 wing. also note that there is a patch for the Skysim DC-9.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yup, it is normal to have to adjust the pitch to maintain altitude because the fuel will burn off as you fly and alter the required trim settings as the aircraft gets lighter, try putting elevator 'trim up' and 'trim down' keys on a couple of joystick buttons and blipping those to get it to settle down.Are you sure you are at a suitable landing weight? If you are over the landing weight you'll need to keep the speed on with that tiny DC-9 wing. also note that there is a patch for the Skysim DC-9.Al
You make a very good point about trim due to fuel burn! I'll keep that in mind and continue adjusting.I applied the patch and I am at my landing weight. If I dump to flaps 50 it's not so bad. Even though they're not supposed to be used in standard operations, I can live with it because it's just nice to have a DC-9 in FSX WITH a VC. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Anthony Cacciatore

Yup I agree. The Skysim DC-9 is by no means perfect, but it is a very nice thing all the same and it does get great FPS. I have a lot of fun with it and it's another great Air Hauler aircraft too, since the smaller ones are affordable to lease very early in a career and with a fairly low MTOW, even the duffer inexperienced AI pilots you can hire will be able to fly it.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I second what Alan has said. I enjoy it--it is a challenging Aircraft to fly but you have to remember it's old school so you have to keep the power on and drive to the runway--!

Jim Atkins