Sign in to follow this  
BlakeWilliams

REX

You guys are giving me some doubt. Until now I'm using Active Sky X in combination with X Graphics. In fact I've no complaints about this combination except the program takes a lot of memory and FPS. But you get a lot in return: actual weather, gauge with weather and route information and nice textures. Reading this topic (especially about performance) and watching the very nice youtube video's I'm asking myself (and you now;-): should I stay with ASX/X Graphics or better try REX? Could someone give me advice on this?
If I were you I would give REX a try, really, I honestly think it's a very good piece of software combining Weather engine and all of the eye candy stuff plus performance improvement. I didn't regret a dime spent! Leonardo soares

If I were you i would wait a couple of days when you have a satisfactory set up already. As noted, the update is due very soon, and I'm sure there will be many comments on AVSIM regarding it when it shows up. That will give you a better perspective on whether a switch is worth it. If you are happy with your current set up, then if it aint broke, don't fix it would be the way I'd look at it. REX does not break the bank of course, and I and many others are strong advocates of it, so giving it a shot regardless is certainly one way to go, but awaiting reports of the update may be worth consideration too.In the meantime, give the REX forums a look and check out the features list on the main site to see if it is something that could really improve what you have already.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I've got ASX and it's pretty nice. But it looks like people are using ASX/ASA with FEX/REX. How well do they work together? Seems REX has its own weather engine so what are you using REX for? Textures? If so, are they really that much better than X Graphics?Tony Wilko

Tony

I've got ASX and it's pretty nice. But it looks like people are using ASX/ASA with FEX/REX. How well do they work together? Seems REX has its own weather engine so what are you using REX for? Textures? If so, are they really that much better than X Graphics?
This topic of ASA/REX and the interplay between them has been discussed ad nauseam on the main FSX forum. It really has nothing to do with PMDG.

hii have been using fex till now,though the graphics are good,the promised weather engine never turned up,i am curious to know if rex beats fex in graphics,is there any conflict with the weather engine vs pmdg aircrafts like in asx, sometimes land up spending a lot of money buying these add ons ,now i cannot use weather form asx as it creates a lot of problems with md-11 and 747, so thats no good and there seems to be no solution to this,so it was a a waste of money,bought fex hoping it would be better ,though the graphic part is good ,there is no weather engine with this,probably wasted half the amount i paid for it, so now the option lies in rex ,i am tempted to buy it seeing the posts ,any suggestions as to how superior it is to fex in terms of graphics and how good the weather engine really is would be appreciated.vivek

Hi Vivek,Please sign with your name as written in the forum lines.After tomorrow (update ver. 2 REX release) I can give you more information. The weather engine is completely renewed.My first tests will be with the MD11 and weather loads from REX. So, please be patient and await the results.About the differences between REX and FEX, I can't help you because I don't have FEX. If you want more info, take a lookat the REX forum. There is a lot of it to find between them.Regards,

Guest gtlos

Seriouslyif it's not enough that fs-x is heavily unoptimized, you need another addons which will decrease your performence...i mean seriously

I just bought REX 2.0... I plan to put it through its paces with our stuff. Tim Fuchs apparently lives just down the road from me here in the Phoenix area too, so I'll track him down in person if I see anything odd ;)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan.. please comment on REX's ability to tame the MSFS wx engine or is FSUIPC dampening still required. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ryan.. please comment on REX's ability to tame the MSFS wx engine or is FSUIPC dampening still required. Thanks.
Im using it right now flying from CYYZ to CYYT 79 knt tailwind and the MD11 works perfectly, as it always did with REX, I don't use any fsuipc smoothing at all, they really overhauled the weather engine, its perfect now.

Im using it right now flying from CYYZ to CYYT.
This really has to be tested on trans-oceanic flights since this is where winds were getting crazy.

This really has to be tested on trans-oceanic flights since this is where winds were getting crazy.
I'll try one tomorrow, I really have not done trips over to the big E in a very long time, actually never in fsx, so I'll try it out, how crazy were the winds getting? so I know what to look for.

I'm gonna wait until I have some more flights under my belt before I comment fully, but I did witness a couple wind, pressure and visibility shifts while flying the MD-11 today. The visibility ones are almost the worst thing I think because it goes from a very realistic looking haze effect at cruise altitude to basically clear as far as the eye can see instantly. Not sure what caused it. I didn't notice any S turns or anything like that with the MD-11 though and in general I really like the textures and how the haze looks when it's working.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi,it might be a good idea to mention somewhere that you need up to 5 hours to install . . . thats including downloadIt is really annoying if you start at 8 pm . . .