Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

FSX Piracy Amazing Story

Is it really? You cannot sit there and tell me you have not watched the evening news and not seen parents say that it just not could be their kids who commited a crime be it putting a VW up on top of the school

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

The Steam option is quite an interesting option for MSFS.When Steam was originally released it was met with quite a lot of hostility, and still is from some gamers. There are quite a lot of misconceptions about playing Steam games. For those not familiar with the Steam platform it provides a number of features for the publisher, developer and user... - You can download and activate a game via Steam (although quite a few games on DVD releases also require steam to function now). This means if you don't have a valid serial number or key then you can't play! - When connected to the Internet Steam will automatically update your game to the latest patch version, thus allowing developers to get patches and fixes out quicker instead of having to compile and upload a new patch installer. - Steam features a "marketplace" where you can buy new games and extra content for ones you already own. The marketplace features regular sales with titles available at much reduced prices for limited periods. There is also an impressive back catalogue of older games at bargain basement prices that are no longer generally available. - Steam features "Community Forums" for each and every game. - Once you have an account on Steam the games you own are tied to that account and can be installed on any computer you wish. - It doesn't matter if you lose or damage a disc as the game files are all downloaded via Steam. - Steam provides a multiplayer match-up service. - Steam allows you to backup game files to disc so you don't have to download them again. - Steam does NOT need to be online every time you play a game. You can set Steam to offline mode, but if you do so both the Steam platform and game must be up to date at the time you switched to offline mode.All in all Steam is a pretty good platform for distributing games, and in all honest it is probably the future. It is only a problem if your computer is never connected to the Internet.Having said that, good luck getting MS to take up Steam - like many good ideas they saw someone else do it first and then tried to mimic it. I also suspect that a great many addon developers would balk at the idea of giving Steam a slice of their financial cake.

The Steam option is quite an interesting option for MSFS.
Having said that, good luck getting MS to take up Steam - like many good ideas they saw someone else do it first and then tried to mimic it.
MS will never distribute any Flight Sim version on a competing platform, considering they have their own Games for Windows Live service.However, regardless of the distribution platform used, one shouldn't forget a very simple thing: to protect FS ADDONS, the protection engine must have some knowledge of the Flight sim platform, in order to be effective. While C++ gauges might be (with some work) adapted to be work with any kind of DRM, sceneries and other kind of product need to have specific FS treatment that, of course, Steam doesn't have so, additional software needs to be made to handle this, which is the method we are using, just it runs on the Esellerate platform instead of the Steam platform.
I also suspect that a great many addon developers would balk at the idea of giving Steam a slice of their financial cake.
That's not an issue. Distribution is never free, even where there's no physical media.Flight sim markets portals will take a share in any case, even when they offer no piracy protection of any kind and, even in case a developer would do everything in house, at least bandwith and credit card processing fees will apply, on top of the administration cost of handling own servers, writing order processing software, etc. so, I think any developer is already accustomed to the idea of having distribution costs.

Interesting post HEREI think piracy could have very well played a role here.Regardless of the above, no matter how you look at it, piracy hurts the Flight Sim industry.

Guest AVN8tr

I find these threads very informative. It lets me identify developers that I should stay away from. In fact I usually check a developer's forum before I decide to purchase. Now I understand developers frustrations and that's fine, but if they feel the need to lecture or POLICE, I draw the line there. Companies like Aerosoft who need to go out and police on Friday nights, then black mail you into buying their products? Virtualli a company that charges $40 dollars american and instead of updating Chicago O'hare feels it's necessary to lecture us on support instead. Look at the companies who are absent from this thread and support them(minus HIFI he's frustrated)... many of them know you're ripping them off anyways, but they've realized one thing getting ripped off and making sales are not only highly correlated but are a cause and effect. Now if the big guys already know this why can't the small guys in our market just accept that and get over it. Arguing here just means you aren't fixing the bugs that are bound to be in your products... and honestly I buy something because I want to support the NEXT project not the current one. So you can understand why I choose not to support some companies based on their statements. Taking the law into your hands is illegal where I come from.

One thing that isn't even considered by some... percentage of purchases versus illegal downloads.I won't provide any numbers, because I refuse to encourage this at all... but it's staggering. Honestly.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest BestStarmetter

This topic needed to be made, if only to stop limiting this sort of stuff to the chat, when the forum itself is an endlessly better format. What are your views on the piracy of video games, films and music?Discuss.

he must be punished for that

Maybe he has been already seeing that this thread is almost 4 years old.