Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSalden

Fly Tampa Vienna in FSX.....?

Hi all,Because I like flying to Austria I thought I'd take a look at Fly Tampa's Vienna for Fs2004.It is still work in progress but as you can see bit by bit the scenery is starting to look like it should.Within the next 2 weeks it will be ready.The modification package I will upload to Avsim.Remember that you have to own Fly Tampa's Vienna for Fs2004.Vienna_LOWW.jpgVienna_LOWW-2.jpg

Man, that's AWESOME! If you could do this and make it work, you have my eternal gratitude!

Hows the performance so far with your modification? After reading some of Georges posts from FlyTampa, I am sometimes hesistant to consider using FS9 airports in FSX. However if the performance is good and there are no glarings bug I would give it a try.

Guest j0nx

It's really too bad that flytampa can't do this on their own. They seem to have all bad faded away these days which is a shame since their stuff is the industry standard imo. Kai tak for fsx is incredible. I find myself wondering why Kai Tak runs so well and aerosoft's manhattan and sanfran look and run so poorly compared to kai tak. Come on flytampa! Start updating or releasing some stuff for us!

It's really too bad that flytampa can't do this on their own. They seem to have all bad faded away these days which is a shame since their stuff is the industry standard imo. Kai tak for fsx is incredible. I find myself wondering why Kai Tak runs so well and aerosoft's manhattan and sanfran look and run so poorly compared to kai tak. Come on flytampa! Start updating or releasing some stuff for us!
Yes I agree. It would be nice if someone could ask this question on their forums. If anyone asks in that forum the members jump all over them. I am scared to ask that kind of question. It would be nice to know if they are at least working on something.

Here 2 other screenshots while working on the Afcad file.It has a satellite photo underground so it will not be perfect ; you can see aircraft on it.The idea is that there is a useable Vienna airport till Aerosoft will release theirs later. Vienna_LOWW-3.jpgVienna_LOWW-4.jpg

Pity of the aircraft on the ground. However, I noticed that on the last screenshot, you can sort of look through the terminal building. That's not the way it's supposed to be, right?

Pity of the aircraft on the ground. However, I noticed that on the last screenshot, you can sort of look through the terminal building. That's not the way it's supposed to be, right?
If I would take a week I could modify the bitmap and remove those "aircraft".However with the Aerosoft version around the corner I will leave that for now.Regarding the look-through you are right ; that is a Fs2004 error in FSX.When I have finsihed the Afcad file I will take a look at that.I could make some solid structure and put them into the buildings to prevent this.When moving you will see the look through one moment and the next it is solid.Vienna_LOWW-5.jpg

Whilst what you are doing is admirable and quite impressive, am I the only one here who thinks this is just a tiny bit illegal ?You are taking a payware scenery and reverse engineering (hacking) it and uploading it to Avsim. The transparency issues you are seeing are typical of FS9 materials in FSX. They don't always work.

As I understand it, he is modiyfing it so it works in FSX. He doesn't upload the complete scenery, only those parts that are needed to make it work. That's legal, me thinks, for it is only illegal once you upload original scenery files without permission of the author(s).By the way, I didn't know Aerosoft was making their own LOWW. Any news on when it could be available? And will it be for FS9, FSX or both?

Guest ightenhill
As I understand it, he is modiyfing it so it works in FSX. He doesn't upload the complete scenery, only those parts that are needed to make it work. That's legal, me thinks, for it is only illegal once you upload original scenery files without permission of the author(s).By the way, I didn't know Aerosoft was making their own LOWW. Any news on when it could be available? And will it be for FS9, FSX or both?
80% of the beauty and atmosphere of a fly tampa product is the ground textures for the runways, taxiways and stands.. I cant see how you can transfer from fs9 to FSX without a complete rewrite.. Wish FT would do it rather than any of Aerosofts regime.. There policy seems to be rush it out with generic textures from airport x, y and z

Guest j0nx

Agreed. Aerosoft is nothing but a rush it out the door, collect the money from the victims that buy it and then provide little to no support type of company. Needless to say I have had some bad experiences with these guys lately and they aren't getting any more of my money. Sure wish FT would make a new SEATAC for FSX.

80% of the beauty and atmosphere of a fly tampa product is the ground textures for the runways, taxiways and stands.. I cant see how you can transfer from fs9 to FSX without a complete rewrite.. Wish FT would do it rather than any of Aerosofts regime.. There policy seems to be rush it out with generic textures from airport x, y and z
Danny, I agree since we have both been turned off by the Nice X release. Hopefully, they get Nice X in order or issue me a refund, or else I am done buying anything from them after the way this release was treated. At least your only having AFCAD issues with yours. If you were in my shoes you would really be upset.

Danny, I agree since we have both been turned off by the Nice X release. Hopefully, they get Nice X in order or issue me a refund, or else I am done buying anything from them after the way this release was treated. At least your only having AFCAD issues with yours. If you were in my shoes you would really be upset.
Yes, you all have issues with one single scenery......and you don't give Aerosoft a real chance to solve that problems.But contrary to FlyTampa they have a support. And they are answering questions. And they are developing sceneries at a regular base.FlyTampa makes an airport every now and then....when was their last scenery???? How long ago ??? I don't remember.FlyTampa don't like to change their sceneries from FS9 to FSX. How long do I wait to see their LOWW in FSX? I'm sure, I will never ever see that.FlyTampa don't answer to question. How many people have asked for a LOWW in FSX?? NO REACTION AT ALL. That's what I call: a friendly support !!!And now...........don't tell me about the bad support of Aerosoft !!!!Bernhard

Sorry Berhard, but I am just disappointed, thats all. I am waiting to see what they say. I saw that you posted over there as well.

Sorry Berhard, but I am just disappointed, thats all. I am waiting to see what they say. I saw that you posted over there as well.
What issue do you have with Nice maybe I can help?Cheers,

What issue do you have with Nice maybe I can help?Cheers,
Hi Andr

Just mipmap all bmp textures except the lmaps... also the lines textures...Have made a small batch file with in combination of imagetool will do it in +/- 1 minute to add the mipmaps...It's real simple current hardware and textures should have mipmaps anyone that makesthem without are still thinking old school FS9 or don't have a clue ;-)If you need the file shoot an email.
Thanks for the suggestion Andr

Guest j0nx

I mipmapped aerosoft's sanfran already and it made ZERO difference. The flicker problems are with the buildings themselves, not the .bmp ground textures and the buildings would be .bgl files right? NYC is really bad. How can you mipmap buildings if they aren't .bmp files? Cmpbellsjc was the one that showed me how to mipmap ut2 planes and man did it make a difference for me but they were all .bmp files so it was easy. I also fly right through all the buildings in sanfran and manhattan so therefor can't land on many of the helipads. Shaun at aerosoft refuses to be any help. He just keeps blaming it on my pc even though another customer there already said he has the same problems. Their support has been absolutely and utterly useless. The aerosoft manhattan scenery just looks terrible with all that shimmering. It only has .dds and .bgl files though. I used to really like aerosoft and have purchased 6 or 7 addons in the past from them but lately they are just a mass market producer of quick, halfarsed out the door products which they refuse to support, at least in my recent opinion. I already told them I wanted a refund and they said forget it. I guess I could charge it back on my credit card but if they'd fix the shimmering issues and the flying through buildings problems then the scenery wouldn't be half bad. Why can't these companies just produce quality addons like FT? Kai Tak is loaded with buildings, none of them shimmer, and the performance is amazing, not to mention the scenery is stunning. Seriously why do I even have to argue with these companies to fix this crap when it should never have been released in this state? Argh!

I mipmapped aerosoft's sanfran already and it made ZERO difference. The flicker problems are with the buildings themselves, not the .bmp ground textures and the buildings would be .bgl files right? NYC is really bad. How can you mipmap buildings if they aren't .bmp files? Cmpbellsjc was the one that showed me how to mipmap ut2 planes and man did it make a difference for me but they were all .bmp files so it was easy. I also fly right through all the buildings in sanfran and manhattan so therefor can't land on many of the helipads. Shaun at aerosoft refuses to be any help. He just keeps blaming it on my pc even though another customer there already said he has the same problems. Their support has been absolutely and utterly useless. The aerosoft manhattan scenery just looks terrible with all that shimmering. It only has .dds and .bgl files though. I used to really like aerosoft and have purchased 6 or 7 addons in the past from them but lately they are just a mass market producer of quick, halfarsed out the door products which they refuse to support, at least in my recent opinion. I already told them I wanted a refund and they said forget it. I guess I could charge it back on my credit card but if they'd fix the shimmering issues and the flying through buildings problems then the scenery wouldn't be half bad. Why can't these companies just produce quality addons like FT? Kai Tak is loaded with buildings, none of them shimmer, and the performance is amazing, not to mention the scenery is stunning. Seriously why do I even have to argue with these companies to fix this crap when it should never have been released in this state? Argh!
j0nx,You can mipmap the building textures by using DDS Converter 2. Probably the .bmp files were just the ground scenery files like you said and the textures for the buildings are in the .dds files. Just make a back up of the .dds files first just to be safe. Then take all the .dds folder and place them in a new folder on yu desk top. Open DDS Converter and in the options button set the mip level on the right side to 8 and make sure the conversion is either checked as DXT5 or DXT3 depending on how the original textues are marked orginally. Also check to make sure the output folder is the same as the new folder you created. Then just hit convert and it will add the mips. Once its done just add them back to the original folder.BTW, I agree that the customer service there is starting to lack in comparison to other scenery developers that will bend over backwards to help you. In my case also they said that my computer was out of the norm, I should reinstall windows and FSX, etc. Basically everything but try to find out what is wrong with the product. Apparently, if the product works on their system then it must be our problem. Funny thing is I never have problems like this with any other addon airports or sceneries that I have ever bought, so I know nothing is wrong with my system like they say.I also don't like that the developer never comes into the discussion or they like to sometimes not disclose who the developer is. Maybe if they got the developers more involved with the actual consumer things could get solved quicker instead of leaving us to try and figure out what is wrong or fix the prduct ourselves.Anyway, I am working on my problem with Nice X for now, but I will wait and see if they finally do offer a patch. For reason like this I hesitate to purchase from them again. The problem is that sometimes they offer stuff than no one else does, so you are kind of stuck. I wish Flight1 would carry more products since they have a 30 day guarantee.
Sean your 8800GTS should do as least 4xs? which makes the effect more less as with 8xQ?It's a combination of factors one is FSX + the 3d design and technique used + mip maps + AA + OC Sorry in FSX it doesn't matter you can add mipmaps also to the night textures...
Andr

Guest j0nx

Sounds easy enough Sean. Let me know if it works for you and if it works then I'll try it on manhattan and see what I get.