Sign in to follow this  
Bubi42

FSX in Widescreen....?

I've just got a new monitor which is widescreen. Is there a way to make FSX run widescreen without 'stretching' everything? All the round gauges are now egg-shaped!I can manually change the aspect ratio on the monitor but that leaves thick black bars on the left and right of the display.Any help appreciated!Toni.

Guest ziporama
I've just got a new monitor which is widescreen. Is there a way to make FSX run widescreen without 'stretching' everything? All the round gauges are now egg-shaped!I can manually change the aspect ratio on the monitor but that leaves thick black bars on the left and right of the display.Any help appreciated!Toni.
There is a display option in the fsx.cfg to enable widescreen support. In the [Display] section, add the setting WideViewAspect=True if it's not there already.Also, select a screen resolution in FSX that matches your aspect ratio (should be 16x9 or 16x10) so the display doesn't have to stretch or squeeze differently in the x and y direction, thus avoiding any distortions.Your fsx.cfg is a hidden file found in your personal settings folders, its location depends on the o/s you're running. Usually it's under Application Data/Microsoft/FSX in the folder where Windows keeps your user profile.Hope this helps,

There is a display option in the fsx.cfg to enable widescreen support. In the [Display] section, add the setting WideViewAspect=True if it's not there already.Also, select a screen resolution in FSX that matches your aspect ratio (should be 16x9 or 16x10) so the display doesn't have to stretch or squeeze differently in the x and y direction, thus avoiding any distortions.Your fsx.cfg is a hidden file found in your personal settings folders, its location depends on the o/s you're running. Usually it's under Application Data/Microsoft/FSX in the folder where Windows keeps your user profile.Hope this helps,
Thanks Etienne - but i'm afraid changing the fsx.cfg has made no difference - everything's still stretched......Toni.

Your 2d panels are going to be stretched... you can drag the sides of the panel and the scenery with the mousein towards the middle, but that will also leave black bars on either side.Best strategy is to say goodbye to the 2d panel and fly in the Virtual Cockpit exclusively, there the gauges aregoing to be round and you simply see more of the cockpit!

Bert

I have a wide screen but I have WideViewAspect=False. I see no real use for setting it to True. You just got to select the correct resolution in game. Toni, what is the native resolution of your screen?

Thanks Etienne - but i'm afraid changing the fsx.cfg has made no difference - everything's still stretched......Toni.
Just tried that setting and it seems to have no affect.

Guest ziporama

I believe the setting has to do with the world view projection to the 3D views render correctly on wide aspect ratio monitors.

There are users of certain add-ons that have produced custom 2D Panels to fit widescreen resolutions. LDS being one.

I have a wide screen but I have WideViewAspect=False. I see no real use for setting it to True. You just got to select the correct resolution in game. Toni, what is the native resolution of your screen?
Hi.At the moment, it's set to 1680 x 1050. But it will go upto amaximum of 1920 x 1080.Toni.

Hi.At the moment, it's set to 1680 x 1050. But it will go upto amaximum of 1920 x 1080.Toni.
And do you also have 1680 x 1050 selected in FSX...? Because that should simply do the trick. I have a 1680 x 1050 monitor and I run FSX at 1680 x 1050. Looks perfect.

I think WideViewAspect=True only works in windowed mode. It certainly displays a lot more of my cockpit when it's set to true. But if I go full screen it goes back to the same way it was when set to false in windowed mode.

I think WideViewAspect=True only works in windowed mode. It certainly displays a lot more of my cockpit when it's set to true. But if I go full screen it goes back to the same way it was when set to false in windowed mode.
I just tried it in windowed as well as full screen - made no difference. In 2D, the panel is still stretch (with WideViewAspect=True).Toni.
And do you also have 1680 x 1050 selected in FSX...? Because that should simply do the trick. I have a 1680 x 1050 monitor and I run FSX at 1680 x 1050. Looks perfect.
Yes - resolution is the same for both FSX as well as 'regular' computing. The panel is still stretched in 2D, but is fine when using virtual cockpit view. I guess I'm gonna have to get used to flying only using the virtual cockpit......Toni.

Guest rdg

Hi,I am using wideview now @ 1920x1200, which is my monitors native rez, at it works just fine. I did notice a difference in the zoom levels though. With Wideview=false, my preferred zoom level was about 40-45. Using Wideview=true, I need to use a zoom level of about 80 to be comfortable. Bob

Guest ziporama

Toni,Something doesn't make sense to me. Do all your 2D panels look out of aspect ratio or is it just one aircraft?There is one method, which is to edit the panel.cfg and set some defaults that may work better for your display, but that is a potentially huge endeavor.Perhaps you can provide a screenshot and post it here (within the forum limits) so we get an idea of what's happening.

Toni,Something doesn't make sense to me. Do all your 2D panels look out of aspect ratio or is it just one aircraft?
I think this is "normal" behavior.. The 2d panels are built for a 4:3 ratio (1024x768) and the displayresolution is 16:10 (1680x1050). FSX has no way of compensating for this.As mentioned in an earlier post, some add-ons actually have a 16:10 panel included in the package.The Eaglesoft Twin Comanche and the Dreamfleet Dakota are examples.Others still, solve the problem by not including a 2d panel.. :(

Bert